Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Veterans Day Roll Call

Thank you all veterans!

What does your Service lineage look like?

Grandfather - US Navy - Pacific Theater WW2
    Dad - Retired Full Bird US Air Force
    Myself - 19 years US Army
    My son #1 -Active US Army
    My son #2 -Active US Air Force

Enjoy YOUR day.

Grandson #1: US Air Force, served in Saudi Arabia.

Grandson #2: US Army active duty.

Grandson #3: US Army Reserve, currently completing college for a nursing degree, to be followed by 4 years active duty.

Granddaughter: US Army Reserve, currently completing college for nursing degree, to be followed by 4 years active duty.

Son: US Coast Guard, deployed to Persian Gulf during Desert Storm. Completed college ROTC, now a Major, US Army Reserve.

Myself: US Army 4 yrs 10 months active, 3 years active reserve. Two tours Vietnam (Combat Infantryman Badge, Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal, Purple Heart w/3 oak leaf clusters, RVN Cross of Gallantry, Parachutist Badge, Pathfinder Badge).

Older brother: US Army 20 yrs. Vietnam 1 yr, Germany 7 yrs. Combat Medic Badge, Purple Heart. Retired.

Oldest brother: US Army 2 yrs. Korea 1953. Combat Infantryman Badge, Purple Heart.

Father: US Army WW2, 1941-1946, Pacific Theater (Guadalcanal, Marshall Islands). Combat Infantryman Badge, Bronze Star, Purple Heart (rifle bullet to the head).

Grandfather: Chaplain, US Expeditionary Forces, WW1. Gassed in the trenches in France, survived.

Great-great Grandfather: US Army, Civil War. Killed in action 1864.

The house I was born in is on land granted to an ancestor in lieu of salary due for his service in the Continental Army during the American Revolution.

More uncles and cousins than I can count are also US veterans.

Veterans Day, November 11, 2019 is my 69th birthday. I spent my 19th birthday in Vietnam, 50 years ago.
    Last edited by retired1995; 11-09-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Mom's dad joined the Navy to get off the farm in 1938. Was in the Pacific the whole time. Found out late in his life he was in Tokyo Bay when the end of the war was being signed on the Missouri I believe it was. He was on a different ship but their and a part of that scene. He held many secrets on his 7+ years in the Navy. Dad's dad was Navy as well. Atlantic mostly. Mom's oldest brother was in the Navy Vietnam era.

That was it for a while. Then my oldest brother joined the Army in the mid 90s. Followed by many cousins. Two of which did the full 20+ and retired recently. I was active Air Force for about 4 years after college. Never resigned my commission so technically I'm still IIR but since I never made Major, the reserves don't mess with me about mustering anymore.

I still have a few friends doing active duty. Many of them will be retiring in the next 3-5 years.

Comment

US Air Force Jody Flight
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

My father, US Army, Korean war.
          Last edited by NOLA2005; 11-10-2019, 10:07 AM.
          "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

Comment

My brother and I were in the army. My dad was a career naval officer. I have an uncle who was in the navy during the Korean War. Five great uncles served in WWII. My maternal great great grandfather served in the American Civil War.

Comment

Father US Navy,,, survivor of Pearl Harbor,,,myself, US Army, Vietnam veteran 1969-1970
              Retired LASD

Comment

Grandfather--US Army WWI/WWII Silver Star
                Dad--US Army Air Force WWII (Ball Turret Gunner)
                Brother--US Army 11B
                Me--US Army 92B

Comment

Supposedly had grandfathers who served in both the Revolutionary War and Civil War (Confederate side for Virginia), still trying to look up that heritage

Great Grandfather, US Army World War 1.
                  Grandfather, US Army Air Corps (Air Force) World War II, served in Northern Africa made E-6 in three years.
                  Me, US Coast Guard, Operation Enduring Freedom, served from 2000 to 2008 (seven years active, one inactive reserve).

Son, US Air Force, Electrical Engineer for F22s.
                  Daughter, US Army, Intelligence Analyst, currently in Army boot camp, I'm praying vigorously for her as I type.
                  Last edited by SOCAleo; 11-11-2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Zeitgeist1
                    Zeitgeist1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hope your daughter is at one of the more Southern Army Posts. Ft. Jackson was still cold in December though.

• SOCAleo
                    SOCAleo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes she is, she got stationed at Fort Sill in Oklahoma for basic. Then goes to Ft. Huachua in Arizona for her Intelligence Analyst training.

Originally posted by SOCAleo View Post
                  Supposedly had grandfathers who served in both the Revolutionary War and Civil War (Confederate side for Virginia), still trying to look up that heritage
                  Looking that kind of thing up can reveal a LOT, for sure!
                  i did the same, but not quite to that extent. I knew my dad did some cool stuff while he was in the AF while i was growing up, but i didnt know what exactly. All i knew is that every few years when we moved, he got a big picture, framed and signed by all the people he worked with. Some pictures were of sattelites, and another was a missle of sorts, and there was of a close-up of a pilot with an oxygen mask on, sitting in a cockpit. I was always just like..huh.
                  Well he has been gone for 12 years now, and the itch to know what he did was getting strong, so I made a request for his complete military records..

The was a lot, but mostly orders and award citations.
                  What WAS interesting were all of the performance evals. Had to be every one he ever got, over 20+ years.
                  Turns out, the picture of the guy wearing the mask was when he was like asst. program director of a program called NAVSTAR at the time. Turns out, that program eventually bled over into the civilian sector, and is now know to everyone as GPS.
                  The missle pic was when he worked at some strategic warfare blah blah blah in the Pentagon; Maverick Project. I thought that was cool. All i knew about Maverick missles were from movies and un classified US dogfight encounters.
                  And the sattelite pic was when he was program director of something called DSCS.( Defense Satt. Comm. System) Turns out DSCS was vital during desert Storm. Its mentioned in a bunch of movies as well.

Its all pretty crazy. And yet there i was, a grunt . Hahaha

Good luck!!

Comment

Great great great grandfather Union Army Civil War (still have 3 diaries he kept on his movements)
                    Grandfather U.S. Army Infantry WWI France
                    Father First Sgt U.S.Army 96th Inf Div Okinawa weapons platoon
                    Me, 1st Lt U.S. Army MP, 971st Med Company CLR, 469th Med Ambulance, and Mechanized Infantry four deuce mortar Reserve and National Guard.
                    Last edited by OneAdam12; 11-12-2019, 10:31 AM.
                    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by themoj0 View Post
                      Looking that kind of thing up can reveal a LOT, for sure!
                      i did the same, but not quite to that extent. I knew my dad did some cool stuff while he was in the AF while i was growing up, but i didnt know what exactly. All i knew is that every few years when we moved, he got a big picture, framed and signed by all the people he worked with. Some pictures were of sattelites, and another was a missle of sorts, and there was of a close-up of a pilot with an oxygen mask on, sitting in a cockpit. I was always just like..huh.
                      Well he has been gone for 12 years now, and the itch to know what he did was getting strong, so I made a request for his complete military records..

The was a lot, but mostly orders and award citations.
                      What WAS interesting were all of the performance evals. Had to be every one he ever got, over 20+ years.
                      Turns out, the picture of the guy wearing the mask was when he was like asst. program director of a program called NAVSTAR at the time. Turns out, that program eventually bled over into the civilian sector, and is now know to everyone as GPS.
                      The missle pic was when he worked at some strategic warfare blah blah blah in the Pentagon; Maverick Project. I thought that was cool. All i knew about Maverick missles were from movies and un classified US dogfight encounters.
                      And the sattelite pic was when he was program director of something called DSCS.( Defense Satt. Comm. System) Turns out DSCS was vital during desert Storm. Its mentioned in a bunch of movies as well.

Its all pretty crazy. And yet there i was, a grunt . Hahaha

Good luck!!
                      That's pretty cool that you found all that out! My grandad passed away in early 2000's and he would never tell me about his military time during World War II. All he would say was he was stationed in North Africa. I found out that he made E-6 in three years and worked as a tail gunner (possibly). That is all I have been able to find.

Is there like a one stop place that one could go to, to find out more like you did with your dad?

Thanks, and thank you for your service, grunt or not. We all did something when called upon and that says a lot of our character.

Comment

• themoj0
                        themoj0 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        See below. Archives.gov is the way to go. But Oneadam is correct...the big fire destroyed a LOT of records prior to 1973

https://www.archives.gov/research/mi...eterans/online

just be advised that MILPERCEN had a big fire and lost a lot of paper records.

On July 12, 1973, a devastating fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri, damaged or destroyed approximately 16–18 million Official Military Personnel Files documenting the service history of former military personnel discharged from 1912 to 1964
                      Last edited by OneAdam12; 11-12-2019, 01:28 PM.
                      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12627 users online. 489 members and 12138 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X