Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your first ****ty part time job like? What made you quit/leave?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McDonalds. Worked there 18 months and it wasn’t too bad. Biggest problem was my acne went crazy from the grease and I learned what happens to the food in the back of fast food places. Took a few years to eat at FF places after that.

I left because I became a volunteer firefighter at 16 and picked up paying shifts filling in for the overnight duty crew. We were supposed to rotate sleeping at the station, about one night per two weeks. We got paid $22/hr for an 8 hour shift whether we took any calls or not. Lots of the older volunteers with family didn’t want to do and didn’t need the money (or couldn’t be zonked the next day at their real job if a long/bad call came in)or didn’t want to ruin their weekend so I’d pick up 5-6 nights per two weeks. Way more money than the $8/hr I was making at McD’s in way fewer hours... most of which I spent asleep.

The down side was that I occasionally missed school when an early morning call came, but I was getting school credit for working there... so I technically wasn’t absent. That credit, all graded as “A”, was the only reason I graduated high school at all... wasn’t much for book learning back then.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-31-2019, 07:23 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I was working a minimum of 40 hours a week by the time I was 15, so I haven't had many "part time" jobs. I had two paper routes when I was 11, if that counts...

Comment

My second Mcjob was at Moto Photo. I had proudly progressed from food service to retail and couldn’t have been happier. In addition to wearing a shirt and tie to work, I was now making $3.50 an hour.

The kids here will have no idea what I’m talking about, but towards the end of the 20th century, the only way to capture a moment was on actual film, usually 35mm. Then a photo lab would print off every shot on a roll, a process which could take a couple of days. Except at one hour labs.

The lab I worked it was in a college town, which brought a unique dynamic. I worked Sundays, which entailed college kids bringing in rolls from weekend parties. Every roll followed the same basic script: first third was photos of young adults standing around kegs, smiling and holding red plastic cups, then the next third often contained nudity, usually of young ladies exposing their mammary glands, but sometimes dudes and their bishops. The third and final section of the typical roll of film were lovely scenes of someone laying next to a vomit covered toilet or my personal favorite, someone passed out on a couch with a big phallus on their forehead, drawn in permanent marker.

It was a different era then. If you did something stupid and it was captured on film, the only stranger who saw it was the photo lab technician. Now, ten billion strangers see your yams.
        Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

No Country For Old Men

Comment

My first part time job was in 1964, as a delivery driver for a place called Chicken Delight. "Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight."

For 99 cents ($8.21 in today's money) we would deliver a 3 piece chicken dinner, fries and slaw to your house. For $1.29 ($10.70 in today's money) you got a 5 piece chicken dinner, fries and slaw. Wages for drivers were $1 per hour ($8.30 in today's money) plus tips and mileage.

Food handling and prep standards were not the same as they are today. Every day we got a shipment of whole chickens. One of the drivers (a high school kid) would come in early and cut the chickens up with a band saw. Invariably, once a week a driver would cut a finger or thumb off while doing so and it would fall off into the chicken while he would the bleed all over the poultry. The digit would be retrieved and it and the driver would be taken to the emergency room where everything would be sewn back together. In the mean time, another driver resume cutting. No concern was given to the first driver's blood all over the chickens as it would be sanitized in the fryer.

The batter for the chickens was a powder mixed with water. It and the cut up chickens were thrown in the same sink all the dirty utensils were washed in and mixed around by hand. Cutting chickens using a band saw left sharp edges on the bones, which cut your hand and arms as you mixed the chicken around in the batter, causing you to bleed into the food. Again, no one worried about this as everything would be sanitized in the fryer.

Grease in the fryers was black from only being changed once a week. To their credit, they did filter the grease mid week and then put it back in the fryer.

Chicken delight was so popular in the 1960s that there was sometimes a two to three hour wait for your delivery on the weekends. Drivers were always in a rush to get out there and you could literally see them running out the back door with loads of food, Once in a while a driver would trip on a pothole in the parking lot and spill a bucket of chicken in the dirt. If he was a good guy, he would bring the chicken inside, toss it back in the fryer for 30 seconds and the put it back in the bucket before he delivered it. If he was a d**k head, he would just put it back in the bucket and go on his way.

Needless to say, I haven't eaten chicken since I was a teenager. When friends order a bucket of chicken from anywhere, I always caution them to first check its contents for an extra thumb or finger.

Chicken Delight also sold BBQ ribs. The BBQ sauce was a powder which was mixed with water and rubbed on the ribs. The powder contained a heavy duty meat tenderizer and when you were through preparing a batch of ribs for the day, you noticed that the tenderizer had tenderized you, as your hands and arms were now covered with giant red blotches reminiscent of some excotic jungle disease. Again, this was an era in which kitchen gloves had not been invented. Ribs were cooked in a broiler, but if the demand for them exceeded cooking capacity, they were pulled out of the broiler and tossed in the chicken fryer to speed things up.

About the only thing that safe to eat were the pizzas. Everything there was fresh.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I had a workers permit at 12 for random summer jobs for the city. I worked a full time job while in HS at 15 for $5.15/hr plus tips. It was at a big city airport hotel/restaurant as a busboy. I worked weekend banquets as a server in the back sometimes. I did room service for the hotel. They worked us like animals and violated several labor laws having a 15 year work a double shift for weekend banquets. One server in particular would cheat us out of tips. He would sing to the restaurant guests (it was so awkward especially because he was so fake hahahaha) usually they were visiting from out of town or showed up in a charter bus and filled up the restaurant in 5 seconds.

The chef and servers were very dysfunctional and it was a toxic work environment. There was an evil old lady with a split personality that was the hostess and probably should of retired 20 years prior. I learned there that not all all grandmas are nice old ladies lol. People were always talking behind each others back all of the time. It got old. I felt like I was living in a really bad sitcom and I did that for 1.5 years and there was no one thing that did it, I just got tired of dealing with all of that bs and moved on. I moved towards retail and customer service while continuing to go to school full time and working full time. I never worked in the restaurant/hotel business again after that.

Comment

I actually walked beans for a buck an hour as a "first job".

For those not agriculturally savvy....................

About 3 weeks each summer of walking a bean field where the plants are about 3-4 feet tall and using a garden hoe to cut out weeds and volunteer corn (from the previous year planting) in order to make the pending crop "cleaner". n This raised the price of the beans come harvest time.

Here in the midwest we are talking about an average of 80-180 acre fields of mostly 1/4 to 1/2 mile long rows.....................In July...........In 90 degree plus weather
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My first job sounds like a dream job compared to yours. You guys win hahahaha. I will never complain again. Happy New Year btw!

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
                  My first job sounds like a dream job compared to yours. You guys win hahahaha. I will never complain again. Happy New Year btw!
                  You too!

Comment

• southpaw1
                    southpaw1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you!

I've had tons of ****ty part time jobs. The third job I ever had, in between my sophomore and junior year of high school, was bad, and I quit after two days. It wasn't the worst job I ever had, but it was the first really bad one. Basically, it got torpedoed long before I even got the call that I had the job, half through high school kid drama, and half because the owner was a *****.

I was a social pariah my sophomore year of high school. If I had died that year, the grass in front of my grave would forever be brown and smell like asparagus. I had applied at a local pizza joint in the winter, which was owned by the father of a girl I somewhat knew who, as it turned out, hated me. Well, that summer, apparently they needed an emergency dishwasher, so they called me out of the blue one Saturday afternoon and told me to be in by 5 pm. I showed up, and the manager, who was the older brother of the girl I knew, basically said here's the dishwasher, if you have any questions, you're probably too stupid for this job. This girl then showed up to work, and the look on her face was one that you would see if she got notice of an IRS audit, served with divorce papers, and told she was pregnant all at the same time. She talked to a lot of people there, and after they found out what a lowlife I was, everyone was treating me like ****. Then her dad showed up and he was a damn slave driver. Shouting and screaming at me, calling me names which, for a sixteen year old kid fighting off severe depression, is really hard. No matter how fast I worked, it was not fast enough. He would then start having casual conversations with me, and if I slowed down my work at all, I got screamed at. If I made even a tiny mistake, I got chewed up. Nothing was good enough for him, and to top it off, everyone already hated me before I had even walked in the door because of his daughter.

After two soul sucking days, I just said screw it, it's not worth it. I called him the next day and said that, since school was starting, I wasn't going to work for him beyond this weekend. He said good, I was probably going to fire you anyway, because you were absolutely worthless at your job.

Now since then, I've learned my lesson: Don't suck at your job, and people won't need to kick you in the ***; nobody gives a **** about how hard you work if you're below standards. But at the time, it was emotionally draining.
                  Last edited by GangGreen712; 01-03-2020, 08:09 AM.
                  "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                  -Chris Rock

Comment

Just remembered a job my brother had one summer, climbing into cement trucks’ mixing drums and washing them out. That job sucked.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Oh wait I was working waaaay before that. I was shoveling snow in Chicago as a seasonal job at about 8 years old and the other seasonal was cutting the neighbor's grass. You know...because you gotta save up for that ice cream truck and corner store candy and chips. Money is tight when you're 8 haha.

Comment

Not my first job but the worst. When I was about 16, maybe 17, I worked as a cleaner at a shopping centre. It was a cash-in-hand job and I was severely underpaid and often paid late, as were other workers. The equipment was shoddy and often broke down and was outright dangerous. The general state of the place was horrendous; people would literally ***** on the bathroom floors next to the toilet for god-knows what reason. Add to that ****, used tampons thrown around, blood, used needles and a generally low-class of people to deal with during the day shift. I was spat at, threatened with a knife, abused countless times, and a colleague was bashed. Sorta sounds like good experience for law enforcement And to top it all off, I had to take public transport (you can't drive alone until you're 18 in Australia) at least a couple of hours each way, and put up with the antics there. I ended up quitting after my boss accused me of stealing a work radio.

My next job was at McDonald's, which wasn't much better. Constant stream of crappy customers, punch ons in and out of the store, employees stealing left, right and centre....Glad those days are over.
                        Last edited by CaptainKangaroo5691; 01-10-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKangaroo5691 View Post
                          Not my first job but the worst. When I was about 16, maybe 17, I worked as a cleaner at a shopping centre. It was a cash-in-hand job and I was severely underpaid and often paid late, as were other workers. The equipment was shoddy and often broke down and was outright dangerous. The general state of the place was horrendous; people would literally ***** on the bathroom floors next to the toilet for god-knows what reason. Add to that ****, used tampons thrown around, blood, used needles and a generally low-class of people to deal with during the day shift. I was spat at, threatened with a knife, abused countless times, and a colleague was bashed. Sorta sounds like good experience for law enforcement And to top it all off, I had to take public transport (you can't drive alone until you're 18 in Australia) at least a couple of hours each way, and put up with the antics there. I ended up quitting after my boss accused me of stealing a work radio.

My next job was at McDonald's, which wasn't much better. Constant stream of crappy customers, punch ons in and out of the store, employees stealing left, right and centre....Glad those days are over.
                          Cash hand job, strip mall massage parlor???
                          Last edited by BTDT2; 01-10-2020, 03:54 PM. Reason: Deleted "Happy Ending"

Comment

I feel sorry for anyone stuck in one of these jobs:

Floor mopper at an adult video parlor

Colonoscopy Tech

Maid at the Thunderbird Motel (where rooms are $30 for 3 hours)

Dept. or Transportation guy who picks up dead animals on side of road

Porta Potty vacuum truck operator

FWS agent

Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

No Country For Old Men

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                              I feel sorry for anyone stuck in one of these jobs:

Floor mopper at an adult video parlor
                              Do they EVER get mopped ?

Colonoscopy Tech
                              Just got the bill for my wife's colonoscopy.....................HOLY **** the doctor got almost a thousand dollars for that 20 minutes

Maid at the Thunderbird Motel (where rooms are $30 for 3 hours)
                              Refer to adult parlor answer

Dept. or Transportation guy who picks up dead animals on side of road
                              Around here it;s the same guy that runs the snowplow...........

Porta Potty vacuum truck operator
                              A friend owns a Porta Potty business.................... $$$$$$$$

FWS agent
                              No Idea what that is
                              [/QUOTE]

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6465 users online. 447 members and 6018 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X