Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your first ****ty part time job like? What made you quit/leave?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What was your first ****ty part time job like? What made you quit/leave?

    So like most people in college, including cc like me I work to earn and save up money on the side. Domino's is where I currently work, though I'm just about ready to GTFO. Long story short, dysfunctional management has been present for awhile(even had a former worker storm out and yell at the store owner over the phone because of some **** with the new GM 2-3 months back). I've even heard things like our supervisor taking tips from former coworkers, one of our old managers told us how there were two times where she was sick to the point of throwing up in the bathroom, yet the supervisor still had her go back to work. I'm not gonna name the place but we don't even have a two star rating on Yelp and then there's the fact I've been harassed by a gay employee.



    It's not because he's gay that bothers me, our last manager was and I was cool with her but this guy has not only come onto and asked out other male employees(including one of our managers) but customers have complained about him taking too long to get their order down and him straight up talking to them about how gay he is, or always trying to talk about Avengers Endgame when it was out even though he had work to do. When I told our GM about him making me uncomfortable, he did apologize(he's aware of his issues) but then said that ''we can't fire him because we'll be shortstaffed''. Keep in mind though he is only on the schedule for 2-3 hours a week.


    So yeah, figure it is time to bail. Anyone else have to/had to deal with their own crappy school job?

  • #2
    Just about any security job where they expect you to work long hours, absorb all the complaints the client doesn’t want to hear for the lowest pay that they could legally pay.

    It bites, but I had bills to pay and an ex-wife who was always whining about how much money she didn’t have.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FireCop203 View Post
      Just about any security job where they expect you to work long hours, absorb all the complaints the client doesn’t want to hear for the lowest pay that they could legally pay.

      It bites, but I had bills to pay and an ex-wife who was always whining about how much money she didn’t have.
      Well **** my dude I actually got a security job now. Sitting in a warehouse on the weekends from 4pm-12am. On one hand, it gives me plenty of time for homework and such, on the other hand it can feel a bit eerie being a in such a big empty building alone. I've had to call the cops a couple times over possible trespassers but so far haven't been murdered yet, lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        I worked a day in Starbucks. I quit and ended up joining the Army. Best/worst decision ever.
        "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Manhattan 5-0 View Post
          I worked a day in Starbucks. I quit and ended up joining the Army. Best/worst decision ever.
          Do elaborate. What was so bad about it?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dobokdude View Post

            Do elaborate. What was so bad about it?
            Honestly, I couldn’t see myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off at 6 in the morning making coffee for a bunch of a holes. Ironically, in the Army, I found myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off at an even earlier time, for even dumber reasons!
            "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Manhattan 5-0 View Post

              Honestly, I couldn’t see myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off at 6 in the morning making coffee for a bunch of a holes. Ironically, in the Army, I found myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off at an even earlier time, for even dumber reasons!
              Ah, makes sense. Long term I wanna be a game warden or park ranger. That should be fun.

              Comment


              • #8

                Shoveling cow crap out of the barn

                Promoted to working in a Chicken hatchery..............part of that job involved shoveling Chicken crap out of the hen house. Years later I got revenge by working at KFC during college
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  Shoveling cow crap out of the barn

                  Promoted to working in a Chicken hatchery..............part of that job involved shoveling Chicken crap out of the hen house. Years later I got revenge by working at KFC during college
                  You know you grew up in the midwest when....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I worked at McDonald's for 2 weeks... Worst job in the world. Working with a dysfunctional manager who would rather smoke weed with teenagers (she was in her mid 30's). So when I came in, I just said I got a better job and here is my shirt. Ended up going to work for the local movie theater. Best job ever.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My first job was at a butcher shop (spelled 'shoppe' to make it sound bourgie.)

                      Back in the day, before big retail conquered America, small butcher shops could be found in many neighborhoods. The meat was fresh cut and there was a small but ample selection of other goods as well, from beer and wine to bread and eggs. Customers would get what they needed for the day and return the next day for the same thing, like the old guy who would get a half inch slice of head cheese every night at 7pm for his lunch the next day.

                      The business was family owned by a large Polish catholic family. Several of their kids worked there, and of course they could get away with stuff that other employees couldn't (like helping themselves to a hot sandwich gratis or sneaking a case of beer out the backdoor). This provided an early and important life lesson for me: workplace rules are not always equitable for everyone and who gets in trouble isn't always who most deserves it.

                      My job, for $3.35 an hour, was to clean the cutting room every night, take out the trash, mop the floor, scrub the bathroom, and clean the deli slicers. The sink in the backroom was always full of bloody knives and metal trays and waiting my attention upon arrival every day after school. Often the sink would be clogged and full of scummy water and chunks of floating chicken fat and I would have to blindly insert my hands into the flotsam to fish out the knives. On many occasions, I would puncture the tips of my fingers with the sharp points and inevitably, in a couple of days, my digits would get infected and blossom into colorful hot dog sized appendages, warm to the touch and tender as hell. Good times.

                      When the manager left everyday around 5pm, an old bitty named Lorraine was the defacto boss lady of the afternoon shift. Raspy voiced and forever trapped in cellar paying jobs, she had no qualms about screaming at us non-family employees, whether deserved or not. Like the time I accidently dropped a tray of pork chops on the dirty floor and asked her what I should do with them (answer: just scrap off the filth, but never ask in front of customers). Many times there were cleanliness issues, and the goal was always to hide the problem (like ask the Orkin man to spray for roaches in the morning when less customers were present.) All I can say if any of you knew what really went on in a butcher shop, you would never buy another piece of meat again.

                      The owner would stop by once or twice a week and the non-family employees would fawn over him, hoping to stay in his good graces because everyone knew the family employees were smack talking us at home. The petty politics and vindictive dynamics led to a personal conviction to never work for a family business again, which I did not, only to encounter petty politics and vindictive dynamics in public service.

                      My clothes always stunk of dead animals and my shoes were always covered in a weird bloody film but what I remember most about the job were Saturday nights, when we would clean the display counters to a shine after closing. The owner never stopped by during this messy process so Lorraine would help herself to a beer or two from the cooler and so did most of us. Amazing how a can of suds with friends can make the most unpleasant of tasks into something fun....
                      Last edited by Ratatatat; 12-29-2019, 06:04 PM.
                      Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

                      Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

                      No Country For Old Men

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                        I worked at McDonald's for 2 weeks... Worst job in the world. Working with a dysfunctional manager who would rather smoke weed with teenagers (she was in her mid 30's). So when I came in, I just said I got a better job and here is my shirt. Ended up going to work for the local movie theater. Best job ever.
                        What was it like working in a film theater?

                        Comment


                        • orlandofed5-0
                          orlandofed5-0 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It was nice. I worked a variety of jobs from ticket seller and collection to concessions and cleaning crew. Manager was a cool older guy who retired in 2010 (he recently passed away). I got free movies which was especially good in the summer as we got to see the blockbuster releases with a couple of friends prior to anyone else (had to make sure the reels of film didn't have issues). Also got free tickets just for being an employee and free snacks/soda up to $6.

                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                        My first job was at a butcher shop (spelled 'shoppe' to make it sound bourgie.)

                        Back in the day, before big retail conquered America, small butcher shops could be found in many neighborhoods. The meat was fresh cut and there was a small but ample selection of other goods as well, from beer and wine to bread and eggs. Customers would get what they needed for the day and return the next day for the same thing, like the old guy who would get a half inch slice of head cheese every night at 7pm for his lunch the next day.

                        The business was family owned by a large Polish catholic family. Several of their kids worked there, and of course they could get away with stuff that other employees couldn't (like helping themselves to a hot sandwich gratis or sneaking a case of beer out the backdoor). This provided an early and important life lesson for me: workplace rules are not always equitable for everyone and who gets in trouble isn't always who most deserves it.

                        My job, for $3.35 an hour, was to clean the cutting room every night, take out the trash, mop the floor, scrub the bathroom, and clean the deli slicers. The sink in the backroom was always full of bloody knives and metal trays and waiting my attention upon arrival every day after school. Often the sink would be clogged and full of scummy water and chunks of floating chicken fat and I would have to blindly insert my hands into the flotsam to fish out the knives. On many occasions, I would puncture the tips of my fingers with the sharp points and inevitably, in a couple of days, my digits would get infected and blossom into colorful hot dog sized appendages, warm to the touch and tender as hell. Good times.

                        When the manager left everyday around 5pm, an old bitty named Lorraine was the defacto boss lady of the afternoon shift. Raspy voiced and forever trapped in cellar paying jobs, she had no qualms about screaming at us non-family employees, whether deserved or not. Like the time I accidently dropped a tray of pork chops on the dirty floor and asked her what I should do with them (answer: just scrap off the filth, but never ask in front of customers). Many times there were cleanliness issues, and the goal was always to hide the problem (like ask the Orkin man to spray for roaches in the morning when less customers were present.) All I can say if any of you knew what really went on in a butcher shop, you would never buy another piece of meat again.

                        The owner would stop by once or twice a week and the non-family employees would fawn over him, hoping to stay in his good graces because everyone knew the family employees were smack talking us at home. The petty politics and vindictive dynamics led to a personal conviction to never work for a family business again, which I did not, only to encounter petty politics and vindictive dynamics in public service.

                        My clothes always stunk of dead animals and my shoes were always covered in a weird bloody film but what I remember most about the job were Saturday nights, when we would clean the display counters to a shine after closing. The owner never stopped by during this messy process so Lorraine would help herself to a beer or two from the cooler and so did most of us. Amazing how a can of suds with friends can make the most unpleasant of tasks into something fun....
                        Damn dude. Cool story, sounds like something that should be on some sitcom. I'm being genuine though, aand the raw meat infections...ewww. Good thing I'm pescetarian.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Worked in a pizza shop for $5.05 an hour. Wasn't that bad actually but the place ended up going out of business.

                          I got in worse fights with customers over incorrect toppings than I've had with crooks out on the street.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by clof2001 View Post
                            Worked in a pizza shop for $5.05 an hour. Wasn't that bad actually but the place ended up going out of business.

                            I got in worse fights with customers over incorrect toppings than I've had with crooks out on the street.
                            Damn, and I thought I had bad customers when I was at Domino's. Care to share some stories?

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 6530 users online. 462 members and 6068 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X