300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellphone plans.

My wife and I have used Verizon for years, and have never had a problem. Now it's time to renew our plan, and she thinks we should switch to using pre-paid cards. I like our cellphone plan as it is and don't want to switch. Also, most of the bad people I deal with at work use pre-paid cards, so I'm a little biased against them to start with. She thinks well save a ton of money if we go to prepaid cards. So here is my question, What are the pro's and cons to using prepaid cards compared to a cell phone plan? I should say that we aren't people who use our Cellphones all the time, we almost never use up our alotted minutes. Thanks.

My first phones where pre-paid...the pros: you control how much you spend when you buy the card...cons: (for me) you have to keep close track of the min you have left because if you run out of min,phone won't work if need it.Also you have to go to the store to buy the card.
    It's been a while but that's how it was when i had them.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    The C.O song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xP3strmDw

Comment

Pro's

Controlling your mins.

No contract.

Con's

Phones will cost more.

Run out of mins your out. ( you can get more online or calling CS )

Mins will cost from 10cents - 35 cents

If your phone breaks, you have to buy another phone. ( no insurance for prepaid)

How many minutes do you use ? Include all minutes used.

Do you txt ? Do you send any other messages ?

You can sign a 1 year contract. Just ask customer service. I have never had verizon but i always hear good stuff about them. DO NOT GET CINGULAR !
      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Heh, I've never had a problem with Cingular. *shruggs* Ma Bell rises again!

I would just get a contract with a limited number of minutes but mobile to mobile. Trust me...it's cheaper.
        Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

Ask Verizon if they have any "government" plans. I work for the Post Office and through Sprint was able to qualify for a sepcial discount. My neices mother has a pre-paid and that thing is an inconvenient pain in the backside.
          R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
          I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by katzeyze View Post
            Ask Verizon if they have any "government" plans. I work for the Post Office and through Sprint was able to qualify for a sepcial discount. My neices mother has a pre-paid and that thing is an inconvenient pain in the backside.
            I get an 18% discount from Verizon because I work for the county. I also get a percentage off of accessories for the phone, and I'm eligible for free phones when I renew my plan, instead of the advertised discounted price. Since I have a family plan, all the other phones on my plan get the same deal.

Comment

She's right, it would save you some money...if you guys hardly talk on them, and usually only talk briefly.

I think what you need to do is get out your last 3 months bills and average out how many minutes you use per month. Then find out how many of those minutes were used talking to one another, and how often you talk to other people on the phone. A lot of the officers I know talk on their phones a few times a shift, and if you're like that, you'll spend more on phone cards than you might think.

If you guys only talk to each other, get a family plan with a couple hundred extra minutes in case you want to call someone else.

In my personal opinion, a contract plan is better than a prepaid phone. I don't care how much I spend on the phone, I want it to work whenever I go to use it.

Yeah, you can always call 911, but you can't call 911 if you get a flat tire or to ask your wife what was the 4th thing she wanted you to get from the grocery store.
              A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by katzeyze View Post
                Verizon does offer like a 5% discount because of my employer, I'd ask.

I've had Verizon since they bought out Comcast's cellular service in the mid 90s and NEVER had a problem. I would think long & hard before switching to another provider.

When I last renewed my contract they even suggested a CHEAPER plan because I wasn't using all my minutes. When was the last time you heard a cell company do that?
                "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
                09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

www.metropcs.com One plan $55 dollars all you can use

Comment

I had cingular then switched to Verizon (hubbies co. had a plan I couldn't refuse...Now I wish I had). Spotty service, dropped calls, when my contract ends I'm going back to cingular. Price plans are about the same. Travelling to different states I lost calls with Verizon as well or could not get any service. Not a problem with cingular.

PD phones are Alltel and they are good to.
                    If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Comment

T-Mobile 3000 minutes per month for 49.99. I have not come across a better deal yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AMT8951 View Post
                        My wife and I have used Verizon for years, and have never had a problem. Now it's time to renew our plan, and she thinks we should switch to using pre-paid cards. I like our cellphone plan as it is and don't want to switch. Also, most of the bad people I deal with at work use pre-paid cards, so I'm a little biased against them to start with. She thinks well save a ton of money if we go to prepaid cards. So here is my question, What are the pro's and cons to using prepaid cards compared to a cell phone plan? I should say that we aren't people who use our Cellphones all the time, we almost never use up our alotted minutes. Thanks.
                        Pros:
                        No contract

Cons:
                        Pay more $$ per minute usage
                        Phone costs more
                        Network coverage area is much, much less than contract plans (whole different network)

You really are not better off at all going with prepaid. Oh, by the way, I work for Verizon.

Check out the coverage maps for prepaid and the different plans. In all honesty, prepaid is really for people who hate the idea of a contract, or cannot pass the credit check without a high deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by mcurry5 View Post
                          T-Mobile 3000 minutes per month for 49.99. I have not come across a better deal yet.
                          Doesn't include free nights & weekends, so not a lot if you talk a lot.
                          Originally posted by Adp1984
                          www.metropcs.com One plan $55 dollars all you can use
                          Only works in select areas. If you leave your area you'll have to buy credits, assuming there's service in the area you're visiting.

Nearly all of the major networks give government discounts -- 5-20%. You may also qualify for an additional loyalty discount. Talk to Verizon, see what deal you can work out.

Comment

I have cingular and love it.... 450/5000 with unlimited m2m and unlimited texts... cant go wrong
                            Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

I've had Verizon for years. Been satisfied with the service. Once your contract runs out, you do not have to re-sign. You just keep using the service, without obligation. Which is a plus. Also you get to keep your current rate, which is usually less then new rates.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3005 users online. 175 members and 2830 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X