300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach & Santa Cruz

Hello. I'm a British Police officer who will be vacationing in California in July. I'm travelling with my wife and 14 year old daughter from Las Vegas to San Francisco and would be grateful for any places to visit or eat which people might recommend in Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach & Santa Cruz. I've been to Las Vegas and San Francisco a bunch of times in the past but if anyone has any recommendations for places to eat (staying on the Strip and Union Square) in either I would also be grateful. Many thanks.
    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Never been to CA but from what I've seen and heard in the news and what some have posted here about the San Francisco area I would stay away. Far away!

If you do go, make sure the whole family is well vaccinated (especially for hepatitis), watch your step because of the dirty needles and human excrement on the side walks. If you rent a car don't leave anything inside of it. It will probably walk away.

That's what I've heard in the news media about San Francisco. Haven't heard anything about the other areas.

Good luck!

Comment

^^^^Don’t believe the hype^^^^^

Pretty much anything in downtown Santa Barbara is good to eat. Also, most of it isn’t cheap. I would recommend Mission Santa Barbara and the Old Presidio. Both do a good job of explaining early European involvement in California History.

Santa Cruz has a homeless problem, like worse than San Francisco.... but Vasili’s was good. The Beach Boardwalk is a tourist spot. It’s fun. The train from the boardwalk to Roaring Camp Is good, if you have the time. Check out Pizza My Heart in Capitola or Santa Cruz.

I am not very familiar with Pismo. I take it, you are going to see Morro Rock? There are several seafood places that are on the water.

If you are driving along along the coast of California, are you stopping in Monterey?

Also, is Highway 1 open? I thought it was shut down for landslide repairs and bridge rebuilt between Carmel and San Simeon.
      semper destravit

Comment

• westside popo
        westside popo commented
        Editing a comment
        https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...-san-francisco

Before all the "hype" I never had any desire to go to CA.
        Y'all have fun! Just be careful where ever you go.
        Last edited by westside popo; 05-28-2019, 11:58 AM.

• RGDS
        RGDS commented
        Editing a comment
        I bet I could drop you in any one of a dozen+ smaller towns in the valley and you wouldn’t even know you are in California.

• westside popo
        westside popo commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll take your word for it. I'm not planning to ever visit California! Can't think of any reason to go there. I feel the same way about NJ and NY and I've been to those states. NY City was fun but NJ is just crazy! And for the record I never said all of CA is as bad as what I heard about San Francisco.

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
      If you are driving along along the coast of California, are you stopping in Monterey?

Also, is Highway 1 open? I thought it was shut down for landslide repairs and bridge rebuilt between Carmel and San Simeon.
      I’m not familiar with NorCal, but if you can take the family on a drive down the Pacific Coast Highway, I would recommend it.

When I was stationed in San Diego, my dad flew out for a week. We rented a car and drove north along Highway 1. Some of the most beautiful ocean views anywhere. It’s one of those things we still talk about.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Hit up Taffy's Pizza in Santa Barbara and Anderson's Bakery it's on State Street. Be careful up in Santa Barbara there are several one way streets. There is also Freebirds Burrito
        879 Embarcadero del Norte, Goleta, CA 93117
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Thank you one and all.

Comment

• BaseballBabe
            BaseballBabe commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely drive up the PCH 1 (Pacific Highway 1). Carmel, Monterey, Capitola are a couple of great place to stop in and not far from Santa Cruz.

San Francisco is ok. Just be careful if you do go there. Don't leave any valuables in your car. Pier 39 is fun but its really touristy. I do not go there but of course I live across from S.F. If you haven't gone check out the Golden Gate Bridge.

Anyways, hope you guys have fun!

Santa Cruz has a high auto burglary rate. Lock your stuff in your trunk BEFORE you arrive at your destination, don’t park and load the trunk, they are watching. Always.

Do NOT engage the crazies panhandling. Be aware as some of them have histories of attacking for no reason. DO NOT stay in a motel/hotel in Santa Cruz. Stay in Capitola, or Scott’s Valley if you need to.

Boardwalk is fun. Beaches can be cold, expect fog...be happy if the sun comes out.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Santa Barbara:

1. moparfan hit it on the head with Freebirds in Isla Vista.
            2. Mac n Cheese After Dark; 423 State Street. It's different, but very American.
            3. Carlitos; 1324 State St. Still my favorite Mexican place on State St.

Buellton:
            1. Pea Soup Andersen's; 376 Ave Of The Flags, Buellton, CA

Santa Maria:
            1. Woody's Butcher Block; 700 E Main St, Santa Maria
            2. Rancho Nipomo Deli & BBQ; 108 Cuyama Ln, Santa Maria

Pismo Beach Area:
            1. Ventana Grill; 2575 Price St, Pismo Beach
            2. Cracked Crab; 891 Price St, Pismo Beach
            3. Central Coast Meat Market; 841 Dolliver, Pismo Beach
            4. McClintock's; 750 Mattie Rd, Shell Beach

You're driving from Santa Barbara area to Santa Cruz area? I included some Buellton and Santa Maria area stuff also.

If you're driving, in between there's also San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Paso Robles, and Templeton. Just be warned there isn't alot of nice civilization between Paso Robles and Monterey.
            Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
            Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

And again, thank you all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7003 users online. 289 members and 6714 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X