Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found it over on Civil War 2.0 thread:

I was struck by two things as I read it:

First, by the magnitude and scale of how badly things get when things get bad. There were no 'good' people, or 'bad' people... everyone just did what they did in order to survive, absent any notion of decency, respect for life, or basic morality. It was the epitome of Hobbesian existence, where life is short, brutish, and nasty.

Second, by how quickly a once-thriving and civilized country descended into chaos. In 1984, the winter Olympics were held in Sarajevo. Eight years later, the city (and Bosnia) were in engulfed in a conflict which resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands. We like to believe this could never happen here but how are we any different than all the other hairless monkeys in Bosnia... in Syria.. in 1848 France... in countless other societies dating back to the Byzantine era who thought the same thing?
    The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed.

-Ernest Hemingway
    ā€‹

Comment

Awesome thanks! I will definitely enjoy reading.

To answer your question, we aren't unfortunately, any different.

Thus why I prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by SOCAleo View Post
        However, I discovered Liberty Safe makes safes with digital access EMP proof now.
        I don't think Liberty "Safe" makes safes at all- I think they only sell RSCs (Residential Security Containers).
        Last edited by Aidokea; 02-29-2020, 04:45 AM.

Comment

On my way to pick up $400 worth of canned goods and frozen veggies at the grocery store. Love that online shopper app at Kroger... all I do is pull up and in two minutes, my car is full of vittles.

BUT: this Coronavirus thing may not be an exercise, but the real deal. I always figured it would be civil war or a DPRK missile that sparked the Mad Max era... instead it might be a friggin' cold bug....

Whenever we get a significant snowstorm, there's no more bread, eggs, milk, on and on at the stores. The only thing left are things that no one wants to eat, like soy burgers and bags of sauerkraut. Ands that's for a friggin' winter storm that lasts all of two days. If this Covid 19 takes hold and shuts down the supply chain over the upcoming weeks, most of the 360 million people in this country have little more than a couple cans of Dinty Moore in their cupboards.

I live on the outside edge of a metropolis of 5 million. To my west: piney woods, cornfields, and dairy farms. To my east: sixty miles of increasing suburban density, then a large and violent US city. Under normal circumstances, the home invasion robberies and car jackings are a daily occurrence in the city and adjacent areas. Retail robberies are ubiquitous of course (and the new trend of smashing a stolen van through the brick wall, causing $20K in damage to steal a couple cartons of Newports and a bottle of Hennessey). I can only imagine how quickly the violence and mayhem will spread and increase if hunger suddenly becomes a component...
          The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed.

-Ernest Hemingway
          ā€‹

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

I don't think Liberty "Safe" makes safes at all- I think they only sell RSCs (Residential Security Containers).
            Harsh!!!

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              There's a BIG difference between an actual safe and an RSC.

• SOCAleo
              SOCAleo commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea if anything it keeps my kids out of my gun stash and protects for a short time from fire my ammo and important papers/documents.

Its a deterrent from the average burglar too. I think in my career so far I have responded to one situation where the average safe (approx.. 300 lbs.) was stolen, not broken into mind you, but taken out of the house.

We later found the suspect and where he stashed all his loot. It was in a storage unit and we got a search warrant into it. We found the safe in the unit intact. So suspect never broke into it. He just happen to have a dolly and wheeled it out of the house and into his vehicle the day he burglarized the home.

So I learned that if the victim had a burglar alarm and had bolted his safe into his subfloor the suspect would never had gotten to it.

I have not investigated a burglary again that had a missing safe since. I too have never investigated a burglary where a safe had been broken into, with the exception of those thin metal safes that you buy at Walmart for hundred bucks.

The cases that I investigated where the contents of the safes had been stolen, were only at businesses and all turned out to be an inside job where the suspect knew the combination code already.
              Last edited by SOCAleo; 02-29-2020, 03:02 PM.

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
            https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...il-if-n1144351

On my way to pick up $400 worth of canned goods and frozen veggies at the grocery store. Love that online shopper app at Kroger... all I do is pull up and in two minutes, my car is full of vittles.

BUT: this Coronavirus thing may not be an exercise, but the real deal. I always figured it would be civil war or a DPRK missile that sparked the Mad Max era... instead it might be a friggin' cold bug....

Whenever we get a significant snowstorm, there's no more bread, eggs, milk, on and on at the stores. The only thing left are things that no one wants to eat, like soy burgers and bags of sauerkraut. Ands that's for a friggin' winter storm that lasts all of two days. If this Covid 19 takes hold and shuts down the supply chain over the upcoming weeks, most of the 360 million people in this country have little more than a couple cans of Dinty Moore in their cupboards.

I live on the outside edge of a metropolis of 5 million. To my west: piney woods, cornfields, and dairy farms. To my east: sixty miles of increasing suburban density, then a large and violent US city. Under normal circumstances, the home invasion robberies and car jackings are a daily occurrence in the city and adjacent areas. Retail robberies are ubiquitous of course (and the new trend of smashing a stolen van through the brick wall, causing $20K in damage to steal a couple cartons of Newports and a bottle of Hennessey). I can only imagine how quickly the violence and mayhem will spread and increase if hunger suddenly becomes a component...
            Yea this Coronavirus is starting to cause me concern. It may not turn out to be anything, but it is sure reeking havoc on my 457 plans. I've lost a shat load of money in stocks the last few days.

So is it the virus that causes the SHTF scenario or the collapse of the stock market due to our reliance on manufacturing in China? No one in China is showing up to work and causing our US companies to not be able to deliver their goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
              https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...il-if-n1144351

Two words: Roof Koreans...

Comment

Iā€™m hiring RKs right now...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4322 users online. 277 members and 4045 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X