X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown Vic

D407E4A7-39C4-403D-A373-971A30B73BEE.jpeg
    Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none - William Shakespeare
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

I won't put them up on a pedestal, but they were an effective tool for most of what we did. After going to a Ford Police Interceptor SUV, I didn't look back but with nostalgia.

Comment

Well I drove a few in my years (‘91, ‘93, ‘96, (2) ‘98, ‘03, ‘07 and ‘11. Performance wise they don’t hold a candle to the Cars of today but comfort and space wise they were pretty good.

Comment

During a recent discussion about patrol units from the past, I related that the Crown Vic or LTD II were great for transporting big fat prisoners and the air conditioning was really cold. That's about all the good stuff I could remember!
        If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

LTDII could take a lot of damage and keep going...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Between the SUV Interceptor and the CV, I preferred the CV. That said, I wasn't nuts about either.
            "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
            -Chris Rock

Comment

enjoyed the crown vic, but loved the 96-97 Chev Police (Impala SS).

Comment

Impalas from the early 2010s for me. These ****boxes still run perfectly fine with leaks and no power steering and all that. Meanwhile new Explorers are falling apart on the street.
                "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

Comment

I usually get stuck driving a Crown Vic at the agency where I work part time. The car shakes so much while I am riding around Town, it's like I am in an expensive vibrating chair. If only there was a heated seat option. It does come with a heated steering wheel because there is a section at the top of the wheel where all the padded wrap is missing, so the sun can heat that thing up almost where it is too hot to hold. The stereo volume control is very erratic and sometimes even changes to very loud all by itself. The keyhole for the lock on the driver door is so worn out, that sometimes I have to unlock the passenger door and push the unlock button so I can get in the driver door. But the a/c still works, so that's a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut0783 View Post
                    enjoyed the crown vic, but loved the 96-97 Chev Police (Impala SS).
                    I think you mean the '91-'96 Caprice 9C1. There was no '97 Caprice or Impala SS, and the Caprice 9C1 and the Impala SS were not identical twins.

The '94-'96 Caprice LT1 9C1 was my favorite police car of all time.

Comment

The Crown Vic was a pretty decent portable office...and that's about it.

I really appreciate the additional acceleration, top speed, cornering, and braking performance of the Chevrolet (Holden) 9C1 Caprice PPV, but they have not weathered well at all, in the hands of the youngsters. The 18" steel wheels tend to get bent...a lot. The front strut bearings are all failing, and make a tremendous clacking noise when driving on pavement that isn't smooth, or over speed bumps in a parking lot. The motor mounts are broken in half of them, the exhaust systems are bent up against the floorpans, and the plastic bumper covers seem to get torn off more often than they did on the Crown Vics. The OEM Goodyear tires were just fine, but our agency replaces them with Korean tires that are just junk. I don't know what we're using for brake pads, but once the OEM brake pads get replaced with whatever they're using, the brakes don't have the same power they did originally, and they tend to overheat and warp to the point that it feels like a wheel is going to come off if you have to brake even moderately from freeway speeds or higher. The outside rear view mirrors are too small. They're not as easy to get into and out of as compared to the Crown Vic. And they're kinda cramped inside, except for the additional leg room in back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10009 users online. 476 members and 9533 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X