Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post

See post #7 above.
    Tai chi will not save your life. It’s meditation. They’ve put tai chi masters and Kung fu masters in win Chun that practiced their entire lives verses blue belts that practiced for 2 years in juijitsu and the juijitsu practioners wiped the floor with “masters” effortlessly. There’s a lot of fake martial arts. Unless you aren’t looking to legitimately defend yourself. Some people do it for the spirtuality I get that. I personally work in a max A facility prison with murders and rapists so my goal is to protect my life.

Comment

I'm certainly not taking a **** on BJJ; I think it's widely recognized as one of the most effective 'true-fighting' styles available.To reiterate, it if was just for me -- even at my advanced age -- it would be a reasonable discipline to study.

But it's not just me. The unique situation here is that my wife and I are looking to do something together. We have somewhat different goals and levels of fitness, but feel that, given the wide variety of martial arts styles out there, we can find a medium-ground solution that works for both of us.

All that being said, I've found an aikijujitsu club nearby. The term was new to me, so I did a bit of research and found this. I'm hoping to check it soon.

Comment

I'm certainly not taking a **** on BJJ; I think it's widely recognized as one of the most effective 'true-fighting' styles available.To reiterate, it if was just for me -- even at my advanced age -- it would be a reasonable discipline to study.

But it's not just me. The unique situation here is that my wife and I are looking to do something together. We have somewhat different goals and levels of fitness, but feel that, given the wide variety of martial arts styles out there, we can find a medium-ground solution that works for both of us.

All that being said, I've found an aikijujitsu club nearby. The term was new to me, so I did a bit of research and found this. I'm hoping to check it soon.

Have you considered kamasutra?

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Have you considered kamasutra?
          Martial arts...not 'marital' arts.

Comment

I’m old school with martial arts I find A LOT of things to be complete BS. A lot of even legit styles are a huge money grab. Some styles like Kung fu...just don’t work. And when I say don’t work I’m talking about against a trained opponent. Like when’s the last time you’ve seen a Kung fu fighter in the UFC? Aikido? More bs. Basically if it’s not in combat fighting sports. It’s Bs in my humble opinion...think about it. If it were effective SOMEONE would had come along and at least competed in the UFC or Bellator. Juijitsu, Muay Tai, American boxing, wrestling, a few versions of karate and tae Keon do. (Not all). And probably a few others. But there’s a lot of fake martial arts. Ever see these “masters” with their students around them knocking them over with “chi”. Lol that stuff is Pretend magic. It’s not real at all. If you want a good laugh on people exposing martial arts check out the IG page “McDojo” it’ll have you on the floor with laughter.

Comment

I found Aikido to be effective.

Comment

Muay Thai and bjj are the best combo of you can try to get someone in your department to help you with training your hands too. Nothing works better on the streets than your hands and elbows.

Bjj should be fun with your wife too, a lot of classes will have cool instructors, but beware of the mentally ill instructors.

I trained bjj at one gym that was starting out it was my 2nd mma gym, and the assist inst. Was there 90% of the time, and he had some real mental issues. Like Everytime I asked a question he would start yelling at me. Last time I trained bjj was 2016. I could train it again if I had the money. But I live in New Jersey and most bjj gyms are looking to market off of you, by trying to force you to sign a contract. If your still on the job I think you should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop203 View Post
                  I found Aikido to be effective.
                  Aikido is bs.

Comment

A Stilson wrench. Best form of martial art...
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I'm a fan of Krav Maga... HOWEVER as CCCSD has said most places that teach it are in fact jokes. Do your home work and find those who are affiliated w/ ties to instructors of the IDF/ISF past or present. Decent work outs come from most studios teaching this, but be wary of those who offer a 1 hour session and 30 mins is basically doing cardio.

BJJ is extremely useful if this is solely for you and your spouse to learn together, work out together and bond/better yourselves. If you're learning BJJ as a primary fighting style to take down an assailant.. Meh... Ground fighting is useful in a 1 on 1... But usually sh*tbirds travel in numbers of 2 or more... So while you are restraining 1, the others usually come out. So combo this w/ Muy Thai or maybe Kempo/Shotokan possibly?

Or just go old school and learn boxing. The exercise, striking and footwork alone here would give you an exceptional foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanraider97 View Post
                        Muay Thai and bjj are the best combo of you can try to get someone in your department to help you with training your hands too. Nothing works better on the streets than your hands and elbows.

Bjj should be fun with your wife too, a lot of classes will have cool instructors, but beware of the mentally ill instructors.

I trained bjj at one gym that was starting out it was my 2nd mma gym, and the assist inst. Was there 90% of the time, and he had some real mental issues. Like Everytime I asked a question he would start yelling at me. Last time I trained bjj was 2016. I could train it again if I had the money. But I live in New Jersey and most bjj gyms are looking to market off of you, by trying to force you to sign a contract. If your still on the job I think you should be good.
                        Please stop talking. You're not a cop, so you're not dealing with the daily threats that we have to deal with. And I've seen your "Rex Kwon Do" Instagram videos- you have no business giving "advice" to cops, especially in this area.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5278 users online. 305 members and 4973 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X