300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for martial arts training advice

I'm looking for information on beginning some martial arts training with my wife and would like some advice on choosing a discipline.

Both of us:
    - Never done any martial arts training.
    - Middle-aged.
    - Want a fun activity we can do together.
    - Cost is a factor, especially to start.

Me:
    - 20-year cop with basic police defense skills learned in the academy and not practiced much outside regular departmental training. I'd like something that would help protect me on the job.
    - Work out 3-5 times per week; a mix of circuit strength training and cardio (running, biking).

My wife:
    - Never been much into regular exercise, but fit enough to do moderately aggressive hiking.
    - Looking for something that would build defensive self-confidence, but not interested in a simple women's self-defense class.
    - Would like something that develops the body and the mind.

I'm mildly familiar with a number of martial arts styles, but don't know enough about any to determine what the best style(s) would be to start researching. Any help would be appreciated.

Personally, I LOVED the style of Kung Fu I took several years ago, Choy Li Fut. I would also look into Krav Maga. Do some research on various styles. No matter what you choose, Pick one that teaches respect, and respects other style. would stay away from some random gym bro doosher who acts like he's the sheet. Any good martial arts instructor will incorporate respect into their training.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

• Dobokdude
      Dobokdude commented
      Editing a comment
      Kung Fu guy huh? What were the characteristics exactly of Choy Li Fut? And I can't agree more about the respect aspect. While it's one thing to point out the advantages/disadvantages of other styles, there are certain people in the martial arts community who really want to play up their own style, to the point of arrogance and even discouraging cross training.

• Rudy8116
      Rudy8116 commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't been able to study it in a few years because I moved to the middle of nowhere. It was a mixture of northern and southern styles of other Kung Fu methods. It wasn't all kicking, but a mixture of blocks, punches, kicks, and even ground fighting. It also taught that it wasn't the power of the strike, but the placement, so you could defend against multiple attackers with minimal strikes.

A lot of LEO's I know do Brazilian Ju Jitsu. I saw a video of an officer fighting a suspect alone. He controlled the suspect well & it looked like BJJ moves.

Comment

• TedMosby
      TedMosby commented
      Editing a comment
      yup! LVMPD was the dept the officer is with. viral vid

Stay away from Kraut Maga. Way too many poser “Instructors” out there. BJJ is good, take a class that covers ground fighting.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

BJJ seems to be all the rage these days, especially considering the huge popularity of MMA competitions. But I can safely say something that aggressive will be a non-starter for the Mrs.

I've been doing further research, and we both took an online survey (separately) that recommended our best fits out of about 20 martial arts styles, some of which I'd never heard of. Right now the leading options are Tai Chi and Aikido. Both seem to offer a blend of the physical and mental we're interested in. Both styles are offered locally, though Tai Chi has a few more to choose from.

Comment

I have trained BJJ for the last 13 months in preparation for my career with the PA State Police - I would HIGHLY recommend BJJ to anyone interested in self defense, who want to learn the art of controlling/escaping and a killer workout. I would not suggest any other martial arts as a lot of other martial arts in my opinion advocate/teach things that are against most departmental policies if performed on the job.
        Throughout my 13 months of training, I can assure you BJJ is both men and women friendly of all ages.
        BJJ has taught me to control my opponent both standing, while on either of our backs, how to perform several submissions on a subject, self defense, controlling an opponent and most instructors are very interested in mixing BJJ training with real world practical application. For example, my instructor/coach tailors my training towards being on the job and wearing a duty belt & protecting my service weapon.

PM me with any questions - it is an incredible workout and very fun
        Last edited by PA_Ed; 01-10-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Dobokdude
          Dobokdude commented
          Editing a comment
          I myself practice Judo(predecessor to BJJ) along with Muay Thai, Boxing and am planning on taking up some FMA. I figure I may as well cover my bases but I know that my main focus should be the more ''hands on'' aspect.

I get the advantages of jujitsu and, if I was looking for something just for me, it'd be near the top of the list. But the unique situation I have is I'm looking for something my wife and I can do as a shared activity/experience. She's not interested in BJJ, so we have to seek some compromise that works for both of us.

She's considering this more for the 'mindfulness' aspect, in line with her past practices of yoga and meditation. I view it more from the point of fitness and self-protection on the job. I think that's why tai chi has bubbled to the top -- practitioners can utilize it purely as a meditative activity, but the skills are rooted in and can be used for self-defense as well.

Comment

• RedBeardRanger
          RedBeardRanger commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you need to work on convincing your wife to try BJJ. I understand she is looking fro something that helps train the mind, train self defense, and some fitness. BJJ does all of that and more. Many BJJ schools offer women only classes that she could start with.

Reputable schools are clean, judgement free, and supportive of anyone looking to get into BJJ. The amount of self confidence in self defense will grow rapidly. Most BJJ white belts are more capable than the majority of society. In terms of your at work there is hardly anything more efficient that BJJ. Its the best bang for your buck out there.

To back up my thoughts, I am a current BJJ practitioner at a Renzo Gracie Academy, a 1st degree brown belt in Judo, and a 12 year LE veteran, 7 of which were spent in tactical teams. I now work for a prestigious Federal Agency which has a high emphasis on BJJ (teaches Gracie Survival Tactics at the acaemy) as the basis for our control tactics.

In terms of Tai Chi being even remotely applicable to yours/your wife's desire for a self defense skill set, I simply recommend watching the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ57MPTfyzo

More on the mind/body training of BJJ.
          https://evolve-mma.com/blog/heres-ho...body-and-mind/

https://evolve-mma.com/blog/heres-ho...way-you-think/

Best of luck.

Just sweep the leg, that's all you have to know

Comment

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post
          Just sweep the leg, that's all you have to know
          And attack the groin

Comment

Watch out for the Chain schools that try to make you sign a contract! They don't care about your progress or your goals. Maybe look for classes you can take at local clubs, gyms, community centers that will let you try out different styles until you find what you like. Everyone is different!

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
              Watch out for the Chain schools that try to make you sign a contract! They don't care about your progress or your goals. Maybe look for classes you can take at local clubs, gyms, community centers that will let you try out different styles until you find what you like. Everyone is different!
              Thanks for the warning. I just listened to one of my regular cop-related podcasts and they did a whole episode on the sneaky tactics of some MA studios, like timing belt advancement to contract renewals.

Excellent suggestion on checking with local organizations that might let us try things on the cheap. We're in a town with 2 universities and a 2-yr college. I just did a quick check of the main university and found it has clubs for aikido, jujitsu, taekwondo, kendo, boxing, and 2 types of karate. Assuming we're eligible to participate, it could be a good starting point. And it looks like the community college offers non-degree instruction in tai chi. Research continues...

Comment

What ever happened to Ju Jitsu Cop?
                This Space For Rent

Comment

Ninjy kickin' and judy-choppin'
                  Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                  USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                  "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                  Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Brazilian Juijitsu. Please everyone in law enforcement take bjj. It will save your life and it will also allow you to control combative individuals without having to use strikes which in today’s media is frowned upon. Bjj is the best thing I ever started doing in my life. I’m a blue belt in a Renzo affiliate. I recommend it to anyone in LE

Comment

Originally posted by JOEQUEENSNY View Post
                      Brazilian Juijitsu. Please everyone in law enforcement take bjj. It will save your life and it will also allow you to control combative individuals without having to use strikes which in today’s media is frowned upon. Bjj is the best thing I ever started doing in my life. I’m a blue belt in a Renzo affiliate. I recommend it to anyone in LE
                      See post #7 above.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8885 users online. 304 members and 8581 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X