X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermath
    replied
    Originally posted by MT Guy View Post
    break his game or something if you are that worried. uninstall it and throw away the cd. if i had a sibling that started playing, it wouldnt last for long. its sad reading these things that are happening to people over a game, yet it's funny cause it's their choice, so be it.
    Exactly. I fully support this. It's funny, since I play Guild Wars (similar idea to WoW) and can easily pull myself away from this after an hour or so. My friend in the Air Force in Minot is just like all the addicts I hear. Every time I pull up Xfire, he's sitting in Laughing Skull doing god knows what. He was bad at that for GW, but since he got WoW, it's like 10 times worse. Kept trying to get me to join, but I'm not paying a sub fee to play a game I already paid for once.

Leave a comment:

• Guams
    replied
    Originally posted by MesaHopeful View Post
    Breaking the CDs does nothing at all... you can play WoW without the CDs...
    None of'em put passwords on their computer so I could always uninstall the game, then break the CDs. Not that I would, but a man can dream.

Leave a comment:

• MesaHopeful
    replied
    Breaking the CDs does nothing at all... you can play WoW without the CDs...

The best was when Oprah had a WoW addict on, and his wife was all worried about him. This was in my heydey of playing, the wife said something along the lines of "oh my GOD Oprah, he plays like, an HOUR every DAY" and the audience was appalled.

My immediate response was "you can't even instance in that little amount of time", but I digress.

They ended the show by putting his WoW CDs through a paper shredder. Everyone commented on how he didn't seem phased by it, and said that "he must have wanted to stop playing deep down, to let them shred his CDs like that"

Wife was probably confused when he was playing that evening :P

Leave a comment:

• Guams
    replied
    Originally posted by MT Guy View Post
    break his game or something if you are that worried. uninstall it and throw away the cd. if i had a sibling that started playing, it wouldnt last for long. its sad reading these things that are happening to people over a game, yet it's funny cause it's their choice, so be it.
    Heh... breaking CD's is always fun. WoW is (I think) 9 CD's now, including the expansion pack. 4 copies x 9CD's... I sure could have A LOT of fun if my buddies would hand them over.

I wish I had the power my roommate had. He can turn off someone's internet... and since he's the "boss" at ResNet he can make up some reason to warrant them needing it to be turned off.

One memorable occasion was when he threw Kyle into quarantine (a seperate network for those with infected computers or those who haven't run a virus scan in some time). Kyle came into our room while I was browsing o.com and started yelling at Trevor (my roommate) about being in quarantine. Well... Kyle got really p***ed off, slammed our door, slammed his own door and turns out slammed the drawer of his desk incredibly hard, rendering it un-openable. Trevor and I nearly died of laughter and Kyle had to make a work-order to have his desk fixed. 3 of us guys couldn't pull that drawer out.

That same night, Kyle tried running a scan to get himself out of quarantine. It was probably around 11:45pm when he started it. The Q Network requires the scan to run during the course of one day and they generally take over an hour to run. So.. only part of his scan ran that same night and he didn't get out of quarantine.

All over WoW. That's what he wanted to do. Result: one broken desk and no WoW.

Leave a comment:

• MT Guy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PROBY
    replied
    this game is an addiction... i have a friend who does NOTHING but play that stupid game. if the loss of anykind of social life doesnt bother you, then how bout the health factor?? he spends every waking moment that he's not at work at his computer playing... surviving off of delivered pizza hut and beer, he went from 5'10 190lbs to 5'10 400lbs... no joke this jame is a bane on our society!!

Leave a comment:

• Reiland
    replied
    Originally posted by MykesCrazy View Post
    Well said!! It's like a DRUG! It doesn't effect just kids! You actually have hardworking professionals who are getting hooked and can't escape this game!
    ...which is why it's also referred to as "WarCrack."

Very, VERY glad to hear you are staying away...wise choice.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Wow, I know what you guys mean when you can become addicted to the game. I was sitting playing last night after work, planned on just playing for a 1/2 hour...midnight rolled around and I knew that wasn't good!

In light of that, I have canceled my account. I haven't done anything like that since I was like 14 years old and I got a SNES!

Thanks everyone for the nightmare stories! Really helped me avoid getting trapped in this game.

Leave a comment:

• gopherpuckfan
    replied
    I play (also on Laughing Skull) and have a Lvl 49 Warrior. However, it's taken me since August 2005 to get this far and I have probably played a total of 2 hours in the past 6 months.

My uncle is another story. He has multiple level 60-70 characters and plays so much it's ridiculous. He has a '69 Mach 1 in his garage that he bought to restore. He probably hasn't touched it in a year plus. His son bought a '70 Mach 1 *after* him and restored it over 2 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• MT Guy
    replied
    if the people who go hardcore on wow would put that same effort into their real life, they might become successful not be losers. imagine all that time and engergy put into a fantasy game, if they would just put that effort into real life things, they might be halfway normal and productive. wishful thinking, glad none of my friends are into this game, can't imagine losing a friendship or even worse a spouse to a stupid game

Leave a comment:

• MesaHopeful
    replied
    Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
    If that's the game i'm thinking of, i also know of people who have left their spouses for people they fell in love with "in the heat of war," ...even people living in other countries...
    I used to be hardcore into pvp... I was 13th on my server, until I realized that I had given up all semblance of normal life, and dropped my GPA by almost a full point to do so...

I knew of 3 guys who did the grind to Grand Marshall. Two of them got divorced as a direct result, one of them was fired, and failed out of university as a result.

It's a super fun game, and even typing about it makes me want to play it again, but I got away, and I must stay away.

Leave a comment:

• amblnc38
    replied
    Originally posted by MykesCrazy View Post
    "Hey lets go to a club!"
    "Can't, I have a Run I gotta do."
    "What you doing?"
    "Oh its in WOW! (World of Warcraft)"
    "WTF? Skip it!"
    "No they Need me! I supply the healing!"
    " "
    I just had this conversastion with a buddy of mine who was bitching about not being able to get laid.

Leave a comment:

• MT Guy
    replied
    there is only one response to these people, wow (pun intended i guess)

Leave a comment:

• Bushum
    replied
    I watched a documentary on Science Channel and there are people that pay other people to play with their character in order to gain rank. I'm not talking several bucks either. More like several hundred!

There are also games that people pay real money to buy virtual clothes, cars, and homes. How big of a loser do you have to be to have to rely on a game to raise your (virtual) social status?

There was a guy on there who took out a $100K second mortgage on his home in order for the game designers to make him his own virtual fashion mall

*edit* And incase anyone doesn't believe me:

http://secondlife.com/

Over One MILLION dollars spent in the last 24 hrs.
    Last edited by Bushum; 04-26-2007, 03:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Guams
    replied
    You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5504 users online. 317 members and 5187 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X