Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can say I have heard of at least two deaths from that game. There was a 13 year-old in Korea who jumped out of a 30-something floor window, thus killing himself, all to join the legend of the characters he loved in WoW.

I also remember hearing about some other kid who played for a few days straight before eventually dying of something exhaustion-related.

I've never played the game, and knowing what I do about it, never will.

Comment

If that's the game i'm thinking of, i also know of people who have left their spouses for people they fell in love with "in the heat of war," ...even people living in other countries...

Comment

Amazing, didn't know there was so much to this game.
        I tried to join a 'guild' and was explained that I needed to be on at least 5 days a week to 'raid'? Do people seriously devote that much time to playing? Thats like a full time job!

I might have to really approach this game with caution! O.O

Comment

Originally posted by Haaken
          Amazing, didn't know there was so much to this game.
          I tried to join a 'guild' and was explained that I needed to be on at least 5 days a week to 'raid'? Do people seriously devote that much time to playing? Thats like a full time job!

I might have to really approach this game with caution! O.O
          People really do devote that much time. The worst part is... it's a game designed for slow internet connections (it was designed for dial-up connections) so it's probably the ONLY true "game" you can play online on my campus. Anyone with at least 56k can hook up and play. My roommate and I, during our buddies' WoW time, usually create a server for Battlefield: Vietnam, or Battlefield 2 just so we have something to do while they play around on the flying dragon thingies... We can't even gain rank in BF2 because the connection is too slow to play first person shooters online. I wish more games were designed like WoW.. but weren't WoW... or MMORPGs.
          sigpic

Comment

Never played it, but in the past 9-10 weeks I've managed to play close to 300 hours of Battlefield 2 :P

Anyone see the nesw story about the woman who prostituted herself for 5000 WoW Gold so she could buy a "Mount" ?
            "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
            09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

Originally posted by Operator13 View Post
              Anyone see the nesw story about the woman who prostituted herself for 5000 WoW Gold so she could buy a "Mount" ?
              Here's a screenshot from the article...

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attac...cs-42tdfgl.jpg

I mentioned this a bit earlier thinking Mystical may have heard about/seen it since he said he plays on the Laughing Skull server.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Guams View Post
                Here's a screenshot from the article...

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attac...cs-42tdfgl.jpg

I mentioned this a bit earlier thinking Mystical may have heard about/seen it since he said he plays on the Laughing Skull server.
                Doh! I'm at work and can't see the pic. I'll check it out when I get home.

Thanks Guams.
                "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
                09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

You're welcome.
                  sigpic

Comment

I watched a documentary on Science Channel and there are people that pay other people to play with their character in order to gain rank. I'm not talking several bucks either. More like several hundred!

There are also games that people pay real money to buy virtual clothes, cars, and homes. How big of a loser do you have to be to have to rely on a game to raise your (virtual) social status?

There was a guy on there who took out a $100K second mortgage on his home in order for the game designers to make him his own virtual fashion mall

*edit* And incase anyone doesn't believe me:

http://secondlife.com/

Over One MILLION dollars spent in the last 24 hrs.
                    Last edited by Bushum; 04-26-2007, 03:48 PM.

Comment

there is only one response to these people, wow (pun intended i guess)

Comment

Originally posted by MykesCrazy View Post
                        "Hey lets go to a club!"
                        "Can't, I have a Run I gotta do."
                        "What you doing?"
                        "Oh its in WOW! (World of Warcraft)"
                        "WTF? Skip it!"
                        "No they Need me! I supply the healing!"
                        " "
                        I just had this conversastion with a buddy of mine who was bitching about not being able to get laid.
                        Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
                          If that's the game i'm thinking of, i also know of people who have left their spouses for people they fell in love with "in the heat of war," ...even people living in other countries...
                          I used to be hardcore into pvp... I was 13th on my server, until I realized that I had given up all semblance of normal life, and dropped my GPA by almost a full point to do so...

I knew of 3 guys who did the grind to Grand Marshall. Two of them got divorced as a direct result, one of them was fired, and failed out of university as a result.

It's a super fun game, and even typing about it makes me want to play it again, but I got away, and I must stay away.

Comment

if the people who go hardcore on wow would put that same effort into their real life, they might become successful not be losers. imagine all that time and engergy put into a fantasy game, if they would just put that effort into real life things, they might be halfway normal and productive. wishful thinking, glad none of my friends are into this game, can't imagine losing a friendship or even worse a spouse to a stupid game

Comment

I play (also on Laughing Skull) and have a Lvl 49 Warrior. However, it's taken me since August 2005 to get this far and I have probably played a total of 2 hours in the past 6 months.

My uncle is another story. He has multiple level 60-70 characters and plays so much it's ridiculous. He has a '69 Mach 1 in his garage that he bought to restore. He probably hasn't touched it in a year plus. His son bought a '70 Mach 1 *after* him and restored it over 2 years ago.
                              The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Wow, I know what you guys mean when you can become addicted to the game. I was sitting playing last night after work, planned on just playing for a 1/2 hour...midnight rolled around and I knew that wasn't good!

In light of that, I have canceled my account. I haven't done anything like that since I was like 14 years old and I got a SNES!

Thanks everyone for the nightmare stories! Really helped me avoid getting trapped in this game.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4178 users online. 207 members and 3971 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X