Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Hi,

Do officers that are shorter than average, overweight, female, minority or young get less respect from citizens than other officers? Also, do baby-faced officers tend to get "talked down to" by citizens?

Have officers that worked for a small dept. and a larger dept. noticed that citizens in smaller towns treat police differently then citizens in larger cities?

Thanks, in advance, to everyone that replies!

Me being a citizen, I pretty much take every cop I see seriously. Short, tall, skinny, fat, young lookin...doesn't matter, I respect their job and respect that they're out there doing their best to protect us. Sure, if I get to know them personally, they have to suffer through the usual donut joke but I've found that most have a sense of humor about it......even if they wanna say "ugh, I swear if I have to hear another donut joke......" after I left.....lol.
    Never argue with idiots - they just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder....my work here is done!

As her tears fell at his feet, she didn't say "I Love You," what she said meant even more: I laugh, I love, I hope, I tried. I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry and I know you do the same things too. So we're really not that different, me and you.

Comment

Alot of people do not have to look at the skin or size.
      Off the bat some people will disrespect you just because of the uniform you wear.
      U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
      Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

I offer respect based on being treated respectfully, not on any of the characteristics of appearance. That's junior high school BS.
        If an officer does NOT treat me with respect, I will fake it (respect for them), and they'll know I'm faking if they have half a brain. Oh well, not chargeable behavior.
        shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

I have no respect for those officer who have no respect for themselves and It is likely that citizens have no respect for them either.

its foolsh to think citizens dont make an on the spot judgment of the cop that comes to their house prior to any words being said. If your 5'6" 360lbs and it takes 12 minutes to get out of the car, people might not respect ya. Some men dont respect women cops when they show up and I might be going out on a limb, but some white folks might not like the idea of a black cop showing up and some black folks might not like the idea of a white cop showing up. its the nature of the beast.

At the end of the night, the cops are the ones with the handcuffs and I dont really care if the citizens respect me. They will listen to me and not act a fool in public or they will get a demo on proper handcuffing.
          It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

I find you hilarious and I don't know why.....lol
            Never argue with idiots - they just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

As her tears fell at his feet, she didn't say "I Love You," what she said meant even more: I laugh, I love, I hope, I tried. I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry and I know you do the same things too. So we're really not that different, me and you.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31
              They will listen to me and not act a fool in public or they will get a demo on proper handcuffing.
              There's nothing I like more than a demo in proper handcuffing.

Comment

I am here to entertain.

You dont want anything to do with my handcuffs. Been on some pretty nasty folks. I do however have other options.
                It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

I think everyone should own a pair of fuzzy handcuffs.....
                  Mine are pink....

Comment

Originally posted by TPD Cadet
                    Alot of people do not have to look at the skin or size.
                    Off the bat some people will disrespect you just because of the uniform you wear.
                    +1!

Odd but so true!

Comment

Originally posted by CPDjock
                      Hi,

Do officers that are shorter than average, overweight, female, minority or young get less respect from citizens than other officers? Also, do baby-faced officers tend to get "talked down to" by citizens?

Have officers that worked for a small dept. and a larger dept. noticed that citizens in smaller towns treat police differently then citizens in larger cities?

Thanks, in advance, to everyone that replies!
                      *chuckle*
                      Does having someone come up to you (off-duty) and say "I saw your picture in the town calendar" count as being treated differently?
                      summer - winter - work

Comment

I have diiferent color fuzzies, so that I can change them out depending on the mood.

Comment

Haha, that's awesome. I want to get purple ones....

There's actually a story behind why I have the pink ones in the first place. Anyone that wants to know can PM me

Comment

I think it more than just appearence. It's self-image.

How an officer carries him/herself has alot to do with how you're treated by the public. Appearance does have something to do with that...looking professional and competitant gains a certain degree of respect...but it's not everything.

That's not to say that appearance doesn't factor in. Physically smaller officers have to have an air of self-confidence about them to avoid physical confrontations that bigger officers might avoid simply because of the physical intimidation factor. Also, in my experience, younger-looking officers get considerably more flack from "bad boys" on the street then older-looking officers do.

I don't think it's just a big city/small town issue. Certain communities just seem to have different attitudes. Personally, I think it's how open and diverse the community is that makes a difference in general citizens' attitudes.

For example...I once worked in a small town that was very insulated from other communities. It was in a sparcely-populated county, there were close famliy ties, people grew up there and stayed there to raise their own families. Who was a "local" and who was an "outsider" was also very evident because the population was largely German-Catholic and the last names were clear indicators of such. I came into that community as an outside with an Irish last name and experienced a certain degree of suspicion and exclusion because of it. To give an example: I, with multiple years of street experience, was FTO'ing a brand-new officer with a German last name common in that area. Many of the "locals" would automatically choose to speak to him because they assumed he was of a "local" family because of his last name.

I think smaller communities have more of a chance of an "elitist" attitude. At the same time, larger cities have anonymity that breeds a certain degree of dehumanization.
                            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31
                              I am here to entertain.

You dont want anything to do with my handcuffs. Been on some pretty nasty folks. I do however have other options.
                              Not to worry, I have my own handcuffs. Nothing fuzzy either...good old-fashioned plain steel

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5960 users online. 359 members and 5601 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X