Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first 18 months after the LASD academy I was working at one of the Northern LA County custody facilities..I lived 80 miles from work so I had a 160 mile round trip drive every day..I drove a 1971 Mach One Mustang so mileage wasn't great but gas was only about 35 cents a gallon back then..Was no fun working graveyard shift and then having a 90 minute or more drive after getting off work.
    Retired LASD

Comment

I commute an hour. It’s against the commute so I’m okay with it.

Comment

My commutes have run the gamut- for three years, my commute to work was about 60 seconds. And when I had to cross a major metropolitan area to get back and forth to work, it was about two hours each way. My commute now is about 20 minutes.

Comment

I prefer short commutes, because it means less factors in getting to work on time. It's especially important for me because I live in an area with a lot of potential for bad winter weather. I'm willing to do up to a 45 minute commute, provided that the drive: 1) isn't almost entirely interstate highway, 2) doesn't go through too many major urban areas. If I'm going to have a long commute, I want to unwind. Highway driving and heavy traffic is going to stress me out more if it's a long way.
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

My career choice resulted in me living at least 1500 miles from my parents, only sibling, and extended relatives since late 1975.
            My first 2 postings after basic training had me living in barracks above, and then in the back of, the Detachment for the first 15 months (plus being "voluntarily" on-call during non-scheduled hours). The first post was at a VERY popular National Park from May to October, so the majority of "clients" did not know each of the 4 of us, but there was no doubt where we all lived.
            My 3rd geographical posting resulted in my being able to rent a 1-bedroom apartment for 2 years, then own a 900 sq ft 3-bedroom home for 2 years, with a 15 to 20 minute walk, or few minutes Bison-Cab ride with the past or next shift during shift changes (2 different Units, located several blocks apart), but no on-call for the first 3+ years, and very rare the last 9 months.
            My 5th transfer resulted in my wife and 1st 2 kids renting a 3-bedroom home about 4 blocks from the Detachment, with a marked patrol car parked almost constantly in my driveway whenever not on-shift. Given it was a town of about 600 population, EVERYBODY knew the 3 of us posted there, and when we were on, or off, duty.
            My 6th transfer took my wife and eventually our 5 kids to a city (our threshold is 5000 pop.) of 6500 where we owned a multiple-bedroom home about a 10 minute walk from the Detachment, but I often had a marked unit in my driveway. Again, EVERYBODY knew ALL 17 of us.
            My 7th, and last transfer, was to a city of 11000, with a City PS. My family and I owned a multiple-bedroom home. Pretty much EVERYONE knew all 4 to 8 of us, plus the City members, and where we lived. I either had a marked unit in my garage, or had a 10 minute walk.
            After pulling the pin, I was a casual dispatcher for the City PS for 6 months, with either a 20 minute walk, or a shift-change ride.
            I became a Site Supervisor for G4S (unarmed) Security on a contract at a steel plant for 7 months. It was about 65 miles from my home, so I had a 1:21 hr commute in the AM (M to F - I was delicate!), with a bit longer going home. I arranged to home-sit for a former partner who had also retired; he and his wife snow-birded in Texas, so I stayed there during the week, or over the weekend, during the winter, just in case - it was a mild winter, so I COULD have daily-driven. That commute, plus living apart from my wife (despite, I am sure, delighting her!), was a pain.
            In April 2012, I quit and moved back, due to commute, living-apart, staff-supervising, plant-staff-related issue, and Mom's health issues. I began working at alocal franchise of a large Canadian-based retailer in the warehouse. I COULD have walked there in 45 minutes, but most often took 14 minutes to bike, or 8 minutes to drive. From Sept 2014 until Christmas 2017, I have held several other local jobs, but have been back at the warehouse continuously since.

I do NOT recommend commuting more than a 20 minute drive, but you have to do whatever you can to live, obviously.
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

I feel like that depends. If you are thinking short term etc. let me give you an example. I personally am going to be making Sgt. My commute right now is 20 mins. And it might temporarily be 2-5 hours. Now would I do that forever? No. But I might have to do it for a year or two until I can get approved for a transfer back to my facility. Granted I can swap or what others call mutuals to travel less however I am fully willing to do that kind of traveling because of the future promotions and growth that is possible from it.

That all being said. I would probably not travel hours if I had no intention or possibility of eventually getting closer to home.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9527 users online. 461 members and 9066 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X