• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California - Where Earning A Six Figure Salary is Low Income

Section 8 assistance anyone?

https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san...s=mcnewsletter

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

It's truly disgusting. It baffles me how it can cost that much to live somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      I qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post
        It's truly disgusting. It baffles me how it can cost that much to live somewhere
        We aren’t any different downstate. Look at the NYC metropolitan area.

$140,000 in Nassau County to $129,166 in Westchester County.

Dutchess and Putnam used to be affordable for regular people, but have turned into the new Westchester. I’m safe for now but the writing is on the wall for Columbia, which was “upstate” when I grew up here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.loh.../amp/446959002

I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Before NYSP got our big raise in the mid-2000’s, a top pay Trooper on Long Island would have qualified for welfare.

My friend who just retired told me when he checked into Troop L after the academy, the Sergeant actually gave him a brochure on how to sign up for public assistance.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

That should really read “The Bay Area...”

I can go to Kings County and get one of the largest homes in the County for what I could sell my house for. I could also get a really nice house and land for what I bought my house for.

The only problem is it’s located in Kings County. There is a reason land is unbelievably cheap in the interior of California. That reason is climate. Dual assaults from Bay Area and LA Basin smog and the majority of the south Valley used to be a 3 foot deep lake (and still floods like that on occasion..)

I believe there are only a handful of these areas that have ridiculously high qualifying numbers for public assistance.... and we have one of the largest homeless populations in America.
            semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

We aren’t any different downstate. Look at the NYC metropolitan area.

$140,000 in Nassau County to $129,166 in Westchester County.

Dutchess and Putnam used to be affordable for regular people, but have turned into the new Westchester. I’m safe for now but the writing is on the wall for Columbia, which was “upstate” when I grew up here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.loh.../amp/446959002
              Oh, trust me I know. If I could, I'd be moving down south. I think San Fran is worse than NY. Columbia and Ulster Counties aren't going to be far behind. All the yuppies are moving out of the city and the Catskills are getting revived. I love the Hudson Valley, the cost, not so much.

Got an extra room for me? lol

Comment

Long Island, NY is terrible. A modest house that is nice but won’t blow anybody away is about $800k in Nassau County.

Property taxes are about $14k a year.

I didn’t get into LE to become rich, but man it would be a nice perk.

Conversely, where my mother lives in Michigan, you can get a mini mansion on the water for about $250k; average price of houses are $35k-$110k.

Comment

Eventually the bubble is going to have to burst...again. Between the astronomically ludacris costs associated with education and homes, it will literally become the have and have nots

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

I qualify.
                    Time to moonlight as a shoeshiner.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Time to moonlight as a shoeshiner.
                      Can’t. Puts me in a top earner category.

Comment

Originally posted by BP3 View Post
                        Long Island, NY is terrible. A modest house that is nice but won’t blow anybody away is about $800k in Nassau County.

Property taxes are about $14k a year.

I didn’t get into LE to become rich, but man it would be a nice perk.

Conversely, where my mother lives in Michigan, you can get a mini mansion on the water for about $250k; average price of houses are $35k-$110k.
                        Same sh*t in my area. But that's why you earn your pension where the pay is high...and retire where the cost of living/housing is low. Heck, if I sold my home in NJ I could probably buy six to eight comparable homes in other parts of the country. Plus save a fortune in property taxes.

Comment

• BTDT2
                          BTDT2 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          and give up your root cellar?

• not.in.MY.town
                          not.in.MY.town commented
                          Editing a comment
                          BTDT2 Good point...but I can always start another root cellar elsewhere. Of course the ginger won't be the same if not grown in mobster-fertilized soil...

My area is not great either. It's not exactly the Bay Area or the NYC metro area or the DC metro, but the Philly metro is still quite expensive. I make about $40,000 a year (before taxes) and it's still not even paying the bills with what we pay in rent. As m.p.c. mentioned, part of our problem is education costs. My wife has about $30,000 in student debt, most of which is private, and we can't refinance or qualify for income based repayment.

One of the biggest problems this country is facing right now is credential inflation. A bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma, and they are quickly becoming about as marketable as a high school drop out. I've been searching high and low for jobs that can get me out of the s**thole jail where I currently work, and even entry level jobs are requiring not only a 4 year degree, but 2 to 5 years of full time related experience, many places requiring supervisory experience among that. Even advanced degrees are becoming useless. Most law school grads are unable to get jobs in their field as most firms and government agencies are only hiring lawyers who are currently on the job elsewhere.

My point being, there are a lot of quickly expanding bubbles right now: Housing prices, student loans, job credentials, taxes and fees, and overall rising costs on everyday necessities. This country is turning into a powder keg.
                        "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                        -Chris Rock

Comment

I was amazed when I read this article from 2015:

The Median Rent for an SF Two-Bedroom Hits $5,000/Month

Presumably it's even higher now.
                          https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

I paid $17 bucks for Dennny's Grand Slam near Fisherman's Wharf, for what it's worth.
                            My cousin in SF paid $300./mo for a parking place near her $1800./month shoe box efficiency apartment, and that was in 2001!
                            SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                            SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4811 users online. 299 members and 4512 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X