300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never been camping but wanna go soon!

The boys and I were talking last night and we all decided to have a camping trip in a couple of months. The problem is, I have the most experience out of everyone. Thats right, a whole night in the Mojave desert for a geology class in college about 5 years ago! Sad really, but hey, we live in the city! I don't think I have ever experienced nature, except from going to a park...

Anyways, we wanted to go somewhere secluded, probably toward central California. I do have a 4 wheel drive 4-runner, so getting to certian places should be easy. (I know, I know, that 4-wheel drive has never seen dirt before! Typical Californian!)

Are there sites or maps or anything that can guide me? Do you guys know of any places? Honestly, besides a tent and a sleeping bag, Im kinda clueless on what else to bring!!! Thanks, anything would be appreciated to send me in the right direction!!!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

www.parks.ca.gov

Food, water(more than you think you will need), firewood (again.. a little more than you will need), book/magazines to read, fishing pole if thats you thing, a way to prepare the food, tinfoil, duct tape, papertowels, trash bags,and utensils

............. oh, and alcohol......that should get you through the weekend
    Last edited by NO-Code; 04-11-2007, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Here's my advice:

Go someplace close-by the first few outings....take some of the pressure off yourself!

If you are thinking of a state or national park, you need to make reservations, and it can be tricky at the more popular parks. It's worth it though, to not arrive to a full park.

Are you former military? There is a beach campground at Pendleton that's very nice. There are also a few public ones on the beach, great for summer camping. San Onofre is probably the most "away from it all."

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=647

For forest camping, I really like Palomar, has a great family feeling to it, and there is a small water park nearby if it gets hot.

Get a tarp to go under the tent, and foam pads are nice. Definately bring fire wood, most places don't let you collect wood. A small coleman stove is nice too. You might want bug repellent, and if you camp in the woods, Ivy Block. It protects you from poisen ivy. Lot's of water, lot's of snacks.

Target usually has a good camping section, REI has the fancy stuff.

Have fun!
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Secluded in So Cal? When I left there 20 years ago you had to go to Ticketron to reserve a campsite!

Not knowing what gear you already have, minimum is bags, a tent (set it up once before you go so you know how) coolers and a stove.

As to where, I gave up on secluded when I lived there. I do know the farther north you go along 395, the better it gets - Bishop is awesome. Try there.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Go over to REI, I think their is one in Santa Ana or near Santa Ana on the 5 if I remember right. They will hook you up with more info than you could possibly use and have you outfitted for many memorable camping trips with the kiddos.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

If you end up camping in a tent memo to you bring a winter hat to put on your head as you sleep. Everytime I go camping if I dont wear a winter hat I wake up with a head cold the next day.
            http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...004/hottie.jpg
            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"- Vince Lombardi

Comment

I camp in the Eastern Sierras, in the Rock Creek area at least 75 days a year. There are numerous forest service campgrounds in the area that don't require reservations.
              You can get most all that you need from a Big 5 sporting goods store in So. Cal. REI is nice but they are top of the line and very expensive, as a beginner you don't need a 400.00 sleeping bag or a expensive tent.
              Retired LASD

Comment

True, but REI will be able to give you maps and suggestions.
                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Proud C.O. Wife
                  If you end up camping in a tent memo to you bring a winter hat to put on your head as you sleep. Everytime I go camping if I dont wear a winter hat I wake up with a head cold the next day.
                  Mine is feet...I always tuck a fleece blanket at the bottom of the bag to keep my feet warm.

If you are going to go primitive, remember your latrine shovel!

sigpic

Comment

A gun, toilet paper, lanterns and/or flashlights w/spare batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe
                      A gun, toilet paper, lanterns and/or flashlights w/spare batteries.
                      Now, I am not in Law enforcement but I do have a Beretta. Honestly, I would be Scared not to bring it. I shouldn't have any problems with that right? If I follow the Same procedures as going to the range, I should be good right?

Originally posted by Retired96
                      I camp in the Eastern Sierras, in the Rock Creek area at least 75 days a year. There are numerous forest service campgrounds in the area that don't require reservations.
                      You can get most all that you need from a Big 5 sporting goods store in So. Cal. REI is nice but they are top of the line and very expensive, as a beginner you don't need a 400.00 sleeping bag or a expensive tent.
                      I like going to REI! Their customer service is excellent! We just had one open up near that Victoria Gardens Mall! I have been trying to get back into biking.
                      Big 5 seems sufficient though. It being my first time, I don't want to put too much money into this trip since I will also be going to Italy in August.
                      "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

Bears?

No one has mentioned bringing rope so you can put your food up high away from the bears. If there's food available, you are going to have a visit so protect yourself and your family/friends by putting the food up high.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJustice
                          No one has mentioned bringing rope so you can put your food up high away from the bears. If there's food available, you are going to have a visit so protect yourself and your family/friends by putting the food up high.

Keeping it in my truck wouldn't work? Or will I have to explain to my insurance company that a bear broke out my windows to get food?

Comment

Originally posted by MykesCrazy
                            Keeping it in my truck wouldn't work? Or will I have to explain to my insurance company that a bear broke out my windows to get food?
                            The bear will not break your windows. The bear will peel your truck like a grape!

sigpic

Comment

Or, how about this crazy idea, ask the guys at REI where you can camp away from the bears!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1962 users online. 127 members and 1835 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X