Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THIS is what we have come to. Absolutely no sense of humor.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS is what we have come to. Absolutely no sense of humor.

Food Allergy Bullying.

You've got to be kidding me.
    Some parents are boycotting the "Peter Rabbit" film for a scene that they say depicts "food allergy bullying." Sony has issued an apology in response.
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

I have a serious food allergy. But I saw the scene in question and thought it f-ing funny. It's a snowflake generation.

Comment

This real life "food allergy bullying" incident led to felony charges:

http://www.pennlive.com/daily-buzz/2...tacking_a.html

Girl, 14, charged with felony in food allergy attack with pineapple at Pa. school
      A 14-year-old girl in western Pennsylvania is accused of using another student's allergy to pineapples as a means of attacking her with the tropical fruit, the Butler Eagle is reporting.

It happened late last year at Butler Intermediate High School, and now the accused 14-year-old girl has been criminally charged with a felony in the case, the newspaper reports, writing:

The girl intentionally "high-fived" a 14-year-old classmate, exposing her to pineapple, Butler Township Police Chief John Hays told the newspaper Wednesday.

This triggered an allergic reaction, forcing the victim to be taken to the nurse's office, given an epinephrine pen and eventually taken by ambulance to the Butler Memorial Hospital.

The victim, who is not identified, was treated and released from the hospital the same day.

Meanwhile, the accused 14-year-old girl - along with two other girls who allegedly had unspecified roles in the assault - each face felony charges in juvenile court, the Butler Eagle reports. The three also were disciplined by the school.

Comment

I have no doubt at all that kids with these extreme allergies are out there. Thank God for Epi pens.

I just cant help but wonder... how come we never had kids dying from lethal allergies when we were kids back in the 60's and 70's?
        You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD
          Ateamer is correct. Around here, we have posers who claim food allergies for their kids, when it’s utter BS.
          Look no farther than the teenagers that get brought into the jail, and the first thing they tell the screening nurse is they have asthma and need to carry a inhaler. You've got severe asthma, but according to the booking paperwork, you just got done leading the cops on a six block foot chase, remember? I had one say.. "That's the only reason they caught me". Of course, our med staff doesn't actually check... they just hand out an over-the-counter inhaler.

You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

I definitely dont think parents make up allergies for their kids but I do think there is a lot of misinformation out there that confuses people and puts thoughts into their heads.

Also food now a days is so full of crap it really does cause a lot of health issues. And people make false accusations against certain foods thinking its an allergy when really they need to stop eating processed crap.

Getting “offended” by a movie is stupid (in my opinion). Although those who have lost kids or family members to a food allergy might have a hard time laughing at it. You have to think about how not everyone has our type of humor. Those in our line of work know how to find humor in some pretty jacked up situations.

So I know it seems pretty silly for someone to be offended by a rabbit movie but you have to just let people be who they are and if they dont think its funny, thats okay too.
            Last edited by shortyj; 02-14-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Years ago, I was involved in a foot pursuit with a juvie with asthma (for the record, I was in distant third place). He got caught because he had an asthma attack. Probably fortunately for me, the primary deputy declined my suggestion that we clear and leave him to his own devices.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by shortyj View Post
                Getting “offended” by a movie is stupid (in my opinion). Although those who have lost kids or family members to a food allergy might have a hard time laughing at it. You have to think about how not everyone has our type of humor. Those in our line of work know how to find humor in some pretty jacked up situations.

So I know it seems pretty silly for someone to be offended by a rabbit movie but you have to just let people be who they are and if they dont think its funny, thats okay too.
                That's really the bottom line. Like I said, I might laugh at it...and I wouldn't blame anyone else for laughing at it. But I can also appreciate that it's not a laughing matter for parents of those kids. That doesn't mean they don't have a sense of humor...or that "WE" collectively have lost our sense of humor. From what I gather, all this uproar started when some parents of children with severe allergies decided to give other parents a heads up about that scene in the movie. I don't see anything wrong with that. The officer I mentioned has as twisted of a sense of humor as most cops...but I'm sure he'd rather not take his other kids to see that movie, and would appreciate the warning. That doesn't make him a "triggered snowflake" in my eyes. Others may disagree.

To make this more relatable: How about a movie scene that depicts someone intentionally exposing a cop to fentanyl...and maybe he's saved by Narcan...or maybe not. Yeah, some of us would still laugh hysterically because we're all a bit messed up in the head...but some of our family members would probably be "offended"...and some LE groups would call for a boycott because the movie "encourages violence against cops". Well, peanuts or blueberries are some people's fentanyl. They can be just as lethal. The difference is they are everywhere. We know we take risks when we do our job (and we take all possible precautions). Imagine having to worry about your kid 24/7...

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD
                  Ateamer is correct. Around here, we have posers who claim food allergies for their kids, when it’s utter BS.
                  Oh, I'm sure there are. We have people like that, too. But I can't just assume that everyone is a poser.

I'd rather give 100 fakers the attention they don't deserve...than ignore the legitimate concern of just one.

Heck, as cops we get plenty of calls from people who "cry wolf". I'm still going to respond each and every time.
                  Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 02-14-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer
                    I think that most of people's food allergies are made up just so they can get attention. It's like pretending to have Celiac, or being a vegan Cro$$fitter.

But just in case the boycotters are truly offended, endangered and marginalized by this indecent affront, I'd like to extend to them a peace offering. Maybe some peanut butter cookies.
                    Be sure to put some blackberries in those cookies, because I believe that the blackberries were what the allergy was in the movie. :-)
                    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Nfm...............
                      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut Butter
                        ->Ask children what they want to be when they grow up. Fire person and LEO almost always tops the lists. We naturally appreciate authority figures that we respect, that are dignified, decorous, polite, staid, decent and honorable.
                        Thousands of people visit this forum each week and what do they most commonly encounter? All too often, gruff, cynical, insolent, intolerant, contemptuous comments from a small group of the most prolific posters.
                        This thread exemplifies this. If these people are in fact LEOs, often with claims of many years of service, just what examples are they setting?

Reciprocate. In the medical profession it is extremely rare to find any person finding humor in diseases. For that matter, anything that causes traumas. Compare the original topic to humor about LEO's being ambushed or Teflon coated bullets.

Please consider setting examples of the dignity, restraint and self respect that those children so often look up to and idolize.

TOS violation
                        You have NO idea what you’re talking about. We in the medical profession joke about EVERYTHING. We in the Fire Service joke about EVERYTHING, We in the military joke about EVERYTHING. We in LE joke about EVERYTHING.

YOU, on the other hand, ARE the joke.

Stay in your lane.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

FWIW.....

Tom Dolan has exercise-induced asthma. In spite of that, he twice won the Olympic gold medal in the swimming 400IM event, which is quite grueling as swimming goes (the second gold was in a world record time).

So a person having asthma isn't always going to be an easy catch...
                          This Space For Rent

Comment

Lighten up, peanut butter.
                            We officers are not here to set examples of professionalism. This is not a forum for the Chamber of Commerce.
                            Some of us use this as an outlet, and have a little fun.
                            As for medical staff and seriousness-
                            In my 25 + years, some of the greatest laughs have come from ED staff most especially the doctors. it is gallows humor that makes the horrible things a little bit bearable.

If you met me on the job, you would meet a dignified, professional, honorable and decent cop. If we became friends, and went out for beers, you would meet the guy on this forum.

So there ya go.
                            SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                            SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

You have NO idea what you’re talking about. We in the medical profession joke about EVERYTHING. We in the Fire Service joke about EVERYTHING, We in the military joke about EVERYTHING. We in LE joke about EVERYTHING.

YOU, on the other hand, ARE the joke.

Stay in your lane.
                              3C’s is absolutely correct; gallows humor is a fact of life within a number of occupations.

Keeping in topic, workallergic is a hypersensitivity occasionally found in law enforcement.

I supervised a few long time detectives and senior patrol officers who were allergic to work. The thought of work, being close to anyone working, hearing the word work, being told to work cause them to break out in sweat, spots, rashes and other kinds of dodgy work avoiding ailments.
                              Last edited by BTDT2; 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11662 users online. 438 members and 11224 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X