300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into home beer brewing?

I stumbled across the beertown.org website while searching for something else and it peaked my interest. I've been reading about it the past 2 days on this site and a few others and home brewing looks rather interesting as an off duty hobby and was just curious if anyone else does this. If so, how do you like it? whats your favorite kind/type/flavor to brew? Im quite fond of red ales from local breweries and looked around online for recipes but haven't found many yet. where do you normally get your supplies? online? (if so, where at?) locally? any other good sites to check out on this topic (informational or retail)?

try www.homebrewmart.com

I was thinking of trying it one weekend too (wish me luck)....
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Hey guys!! Just wondering if you have ever tasted a home brew. If you are into the exotic flovors, or rich or bitter imports you will like a home brew. Redders4786 always has a mini keg in the fridge of some kind. I know he bought his as a kit, with fool proof mixes. BUT buyer beware.... Don't drink this type of beer if you have any event the next day that you would not want to make any noisy or odiforus emissions that might be socially embarrassing ...if ya know what I mean. You thought regular keg beer farts were bad!!! Good luck and let me know how it goes!!!!!
      The Family Prayer

"And Shepherds we shall be
      For thee, my Lord, for thee.
      Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
      Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
      So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
      And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
      In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

Comment

I home brew frequently. For a beginner, I would recommend Mr. Beer...get the premium edition...for $50 , you get everything you need to brew 2 gallons of beer, and it's ready to drink in two weeks. Then, all you need to do is order the refill packs (contains all ingrediants needed to brew another batch) for as little as $13 (the bottles and keg from the starter pack are fully reusable). Let's say an average bottled six pack costs $6...that's 72 oz of beer at $.08 an ounce. Two gallons, or 256 oz., will run about $.05 an ounce...so a 12 oz bottle store bought will cost you $.96 a bottle versus home brewing at $.60 a bottle. I personally like the "High Country Ale" and "Cowboy Lager", which I think taste like Sam Adams, which saves me more money, because SA cost $7.50 a six pack...more than twice what i can make it for.

I HIGHLY recommend trying homebrewing...it's a blast...and the looks on your friends' faces when you tell 'em you brewed it yourself, are priceless.

Comment

Also, forgot to mention, while Homebrewmart has great products, for a beginner, I would still try the Mr. Beer kits first...they are cheaper, and there are fewer steps involved.

Comment

thanks guys. id eventually once i become proficient like to get into kegging with a home made kegorator.. and eventually have my own oktoberfest for my friends! the lady told me i needed a hobby and goals outside of work.. wait till she hears this goal! lol.

Comment

I've got a buddy whos brother home brews alot. He's quite good at it and I've been very impressed with many of the home brews I've tasted. I'm not normally a big fan of the lagers and heavier beers, but his are very tasty!
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Me Like Beer

I have been homebrewing for a couple of years...I have tried all grain, extract and bagged wort kits.

It's a great hobby, lots of fun.

In my opinion, the absolutely most fool proof way to home brew is to use the Brewhouse style kit, and stick to using ale yeasts. These kits are easily modified...the India Pale Ale kit + $10 of fuggles hops makes an awesome brew.

Cheaper and almost as foolproof is extract kits like Coopers...again lots of good beers can be brewed using ale yeasts.

Lagering is more complex and temperature sensitive and I have had a good many lagers go bad...so much so that I will probably stick to ales in the future.

All grain is the apex of the homebrewer's art. It's the way to go if you are into the brewing for brewing's sake. It's also very sensitive and is as much art as science. It also requires a more expensive set up.

BTW, there is a built in risk that comes with homebrewing...having absolutely no financial constraint on alcohol consumption is not always a good thing.

Comment

yeah i read that doing grain is the best way to go but much harder and time consuming. i don't want to start with the no boil route... but dont want to start into grains just yet either. i'm going to be picking up soem books on my days off this week to start reading up (How to Brew by John Palmer is my first) and hope to be starting my first batch come mid summer.

Thanks for the info effinggoof. I'll probably refer to this post once its time to start!

Comment

Beer Good

Hey Mystical...glad you found some of my post useful.

I really encourage anyone just starting out to start with a liquid wort kit like Brewhouse or Festabrew.

When one is learning to brew, there is a whole lot of things to learn, and while the learning curve is fairly steep, it's best to start simple and progress to more difficult.

Even though the liquid wort kits don't teach one much about "brewing", they are an easy way to introduce yourself to cleaning and sterilising, the fermentation process, and bottling.

Likewise extract kits are pretty easy...but not only do they turn out a great beer, they get one ready for the rest of the beer making experience...without the considerable extra financial commitment involved in starting off all grain.

Comment

I've been brewing about 12 years now, currently I brew 5 gallons, and use the yeast cake from the primary to kick off a 15 gallon batch. Put it all in soda kegs and I'm good for 6 months. I agree with the previous posts, you can brew great beer from extract. If you intend to bottle I would suggest US champane or Grolsch bottles. Bottle washing and sanitizing will get old quick. If you drink most of your beer at home then kegging is the way to go. Start with darker beers first, the flaws won't be as apparent as in a lighter beer, and remember relax and have a home brew, its fresh and all natural!!

Comment

How much does it cost to brew at home?
                        "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
                        - A Cop's Maxim

Comment

Like any hobby you can spend as little or as much as you want, I see complete kits online for less than $100. Look for a local brew club, they will be more than happy to show you the ropes and get you started. I've had a couple guys come over and use my equipment to see if something they want to commit to.

Comment

Beer...the cause of and solition to all life's problems

Re the price of homebrewing.

As mentioned above, a homebrewing setup can start at around $100 and easily involve thousands of dollars.

The items that drive the cost way up are home keg/draft systems, a lagering fridge, and the setup needed to bring a 5 gallon wort up to a boil. There are guys out there who have a brewpub at home.

Having said all that using a Coopers extract kit, I can easily whip up a batch of 5 gallons of ale for $13 ( includes cost of capping bottles).

A Brewhouse wort kit will cost about double that.

I once experimented with a 1/2 batch bran based ale...this was done more a a learning experience than a serious effort...still if I recall correctly it cost me 4$ for the ingredients.

Anyway...homebrewing can be very cheap.

Comment

im not too worried about cost. this hobby is 20x cheaper than modifying my 4x4 jeep when i had that for extreme rock crawling!

that said, which would be better to start with.. bottling or kegging? i found a brewing/bottling system online with about everything needed to start but the burner for like 364 shipped... ill probably have to invest in a burner since my flattop stove probably wont get hot enough. the kegging system with regulators, tank, and 1 corny keg for 449 shipped. would it be worth the extra money to get the kegging system and slowely build up everything else for the kegerator (tower spickets, etc..)? I can provide links if that will help. overall i've found that i like draft beers much much better than bottled.. so i've been leaning towards the kegging system much more but am still unsure.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5104 users online. 286 members and 4818 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X