300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major fires in Southern Calif.

The dreaded Santa Ana winds are causing major problems with the three large wind driven fires...hundreds of homes destroyed and right now well over 60,000 acres burned from the 3 major fires... Sadly the winds will be with us for a few more days and should be worse tomorrow.....Fighting brush fires in 60-70 MPH winds is a nightmare for fire fighters.
    Retired LASD

Nope fighting fires in 60+mph is hell for firefighters, 1st hand experience. Not a whole lot you can do.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

That is horrible. It’s like a blow torch. Trained on a neighborhood.

semper destravit

Comment

Just as a heads up for those of you who do wind up working the fire lines for traffic control, crowd control, evacuations, etc,.

It was the practice of my station to routinely write an Employers First Report of Injury (Worker's Comp Injury) Report on every officer assigned to a fire or hazardoud exposure detail, citing smoke and noxious fume inhalation or an unknown origin. The report would not be processed or sent to State Compensation Insurance Fund, but it would be kept in the officer's medical file and he would be given a copy for his own personal file.

The thought behind the process is that you don't know what's being burned in the fire, what's going into the air and what you are breathing while you're working the fire detail. It could be wood, chemicals from an illegal toxic dump no one knew about, a hidden drug lab, improperly disposed of plastics that people didn't want to take to the dump that emits toxics when burned, etc. While you may not have a reaction now, you could develop pulmonary issues later down the line and having reports like this in your medical file at work helps provoide a smoking gun that may bolster any future worker's comp claims.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Are our members in the area safe?

Comment

I think we have one or two in Ventura County and one LASD that lives north near Canyon Country.

I'm sure we'll hear from them when they find time.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I will PM Blizz. He is down that way. Of course, he is probably very busy right now.
              semper destravit

Comment

The fire in Santa Clarita has done major damage to the Sheriff's Depts shooting ranges located on the grounds of the Pitchess jail complex...It has destroyed a couple of the shooting ranges..Its going to cause a real problem for recruit and dept. weapons training.
                Retired LASD

Comment

Above picture is of Wayside.
                  Canyon country area is good to go, fire is on opposite side of the area and pushing west towards Ventura and by north west towards the Grapevine.

For those who know Wayside the fire burned the buildings the facilities service bureau and was stopped shy of the stop sign of motor pool. Guess no more vineyard. (Wayside had a vineyard next to the ranges. But due to lead and other hazardous metals the grapes are no good.)
                  Last edited by moparfan; 12-06-2017, 12:48 AM.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Blizz is good. His area isn’t impacted, but the other part of his county is.

That sucks for LASD. Did they evacuate pitchess? (That sounds like it would be an absolute CF).
                    semper destravit

Comment

From what I heard, they were calling around and asking stations how many inmates their jails could hold. I honestly do not see a need to, only because two jails are concrete. If they split inmates from the 3rd to the other two then they would be fine. Yeah it will be hot if shut down the a/c but bring in fans. BLOCK and concrete will not burn. And on top of that we have an empty jail that could easily take bodies, but a security check would have to be done.

Comment

Tonight is when it should get interesting with wind gusts hitting 50-70mph. This can carry embers up to 10 miles away.
                        This Space For Rent

Comment

The Thomas Fire is the worst I've seen here, ever. It's the location, combined with the wind. The closest thing I can think of was the Day Fire in 2006, but that was up above Ojai in like, Lockwood Canyon. It wasn't encroaching on any major areas.

Fire is still at 0 containment, as far as I'm aware. The next 24 hours will be the most challenging. National Weather Service is predicting 60-75mph wind gusts starting Thursday night and continuing through Friday.

The fire continues to border pretty much the entire northern border of the City of Ventura, as well as both sides of Ventura Avenue (SR-33). It surrounds Santa Paula on 3 sides, north, west, and east. It's also jumped SR-33 to the north, and burning up everything on both sides of the 101 from the 33 to about Faria Beach.

If the wind isn't too crazy, I don't see much more in the way of property destruction. The hand crews will get a handle on it and it'll be fine. What's going to **** us is 75mph wind. It's blowing the embers way hell and gone from the fire lines and igniting random houses pretty good distances away.
                          Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                          Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

• Curt5811
                            Curt5811 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            St Michael protect you all, brother.

The problem is 95% of the hotshot crews
                          where laid off back in November. So the emergency college and inner city crews would get the call but take a day to mobilize. Many of the county fire crews were also laid off in November. Only full time hand crews are the inmate crews and most of them are deployed already. Have to wait for the drive times from Northern California. The engines guys are spread out doing structure protection. Only way to get hand on the fire would be back fires but again no crews to help.

For Ventura the following is what I found for fires:
                          Matilija 1932 burned 220,000 acres no deaths or structures lost
                          Day Fire 2006 162,702 acres no deaths 11 structures
                          Wheeler Fire 1985 118,000 no deaths and 26 structures
                          Simi Fire 2003 108,204 acres and 315 structures no deaths

By the time the Thomas fire is done it will rank on the list of most destructive fires in California history since 1932.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers for everyone out there.
                            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5035 users online. 236 members and 4799 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X