Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip - Off Duty Cop

Hey all,

Well I've just booked a trip to the US next month - anyone got any tips to get cheap car hire...?

Edited to say - I'll be picking up a car in Austin TX and then dropping it off in Washington DC.

Comment

Lucky you. I'm keen to do a road trip through the US myself in the next couple of years.

Comment

• DepTroop
        DepTroop commented
        Editing a comment
        If you're gonna do a road trip through the US, you're gonna be here a while.

• Mulgrave600
        Mulgrave600 commented
        Editing a comment
        I get nine weeks of leave per year plus three months paid long service leave in 2019 to take

Carjacking.

Do do you belong to any discount car rental companies? Hertz, Avis, etc? Avoid the rent-a-wrecks.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        Carjacking.

Do do you belong to any discount car rental companies? Hertz, Avis, etc? Avoid the rent-a-wrecks.
        Clearly carjacking was my first idea. I mean, we've all seen the ask a cop winners. Surely I could just flash my badge and then I'd be let off with a cheeky smile and a warning...?

To be honest my heart says premium sports car from Hertz and co, and my wallet says rent-a-wreck.

Not sure if my department has discounts for us, I'll check.

Then I can start enquiring on ride alongs...

Comment

Originally posted by SACOP View Post

Clearly carjacking was my first idea. I mean, we've all seen the ask a cop winners. Surely I could just flash my badge and then I'd be let off with a cheeky smile and a warning...?

To be honest my heart says premium sports car from Hertz and co, and my wallet says rent-a-wreck.

Not sure if my department has discounts for us, I'll check.

Then I can start enquiring on ride alongs...
          I think _that's_ your answer right there!

If you plan it well you could travel cross country for free in squad cars. Just have each LEO drop you off in the next jurisdiction after the ride along.

Comment

Stay home!

I just went to the website for the rental car company the State of California uses and priced out the cost of a compact car for two weeks being picked up at the Austin airport and dropped off at the Washington DC airport. With the state discount, the rental itself for two weeks was $264 USD. But the other fees, especially those imposed for driving a car cross country and dropping it off leave you feeling like you have been raped, robbed and then raped and robbed again..

Compact car for two weeks $ 264.00 USD

Unlimited Mileage Included

TAXES & FEES

Learn More
            $ 985.81
            $ 83.30
            $ 141.64
            $ 74.99
            $ 25.06
            $ 149.98
            CUSTOM RATE
            Estimated Total $1,724 USD

Surprisingly, Costco members could rent the same car from the same rental car company for the same period of time $1,451 USD, so if you fly to Austin, take a cab to the nearest Costco, spend $55 on a membership and save $275 on your car rental.

If you are a member of the Auto Club, you can do it for $1,358 USD

We're too expensive to visit.

Edit - o.com didn't publish the full chart, $985 was the drop fee for taking the car cross country. the rest were for various add ons and taxes. Sorry.
            Last edited by L-1; 07-18-2017, 11:10 PM.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

26' Uhaul truck Rental Equipment Remove

26' truck $799.00
              Damage coverage
              Safemove®
              $112.00
              Environmental Fee $5.00
              Preferred Pickup
              8/1/2017 8:00 AM

Drive Thru Postal
              1712 E Riverside Dr
              Austin, TX 78741

U-Haul Representative will contact you to schedule at the most convenient agreed upon time and location with available equipment.
              This rental requires the use of your mobile device at time of pick up.
              Drop off: 8/7/2017
              U-Haul Moving & Storage at Bladensburg
              1750 Bladensburg Rd NE
              Washington, DC 20002
              Equipment subtotal: $916.00
              Due in store
              This Space For Rent

Comment

I tried to do a C&P of what I found at UHaul, but this site won't let me post it.

Basically one can rent a 26' truck for $916. Just get some camping equipment & you'll save on hotels as well!
                This Space For Rent

Comment

Another option would be checking with the RV companies. Some have specials where they heavily discount the rental fees and give you free mileage for doing a "one way" trip to help them move around vehicles.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SACOP View Post
                    Austin TX and then dropping it off in Washington DC.
                    More important than cars, what sites are you planning on seeing?
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I've had good luck with Budget. I find a coupon online for them (they're commonplace) before I book.
                      I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

My family loves a good road trip, but recently started using Amtrak. You can sleep at night and still be en-route to your destination. If you want to explore, just book separate tickets for each leg. A little more $$, but if you get a sleeper car all your food and luggage is included (wouldn't do it otherwise). We did a trip last year that was 3,000 miles and was only $1800 for two first class tickets. I wouldn't drive in DC either.
                        Last edited by DepTroop; 07-20-2017, 12:04 AM.

Comment

OP, you never mentioned how long you're staying, and how many stops (and where) you're planning to make between Austin and DC. That info might help.

If you want the "all American experience" I suggest Greyhound!

You'll get to observe the folks your American counterparts get to deal with on a regular basis. You will likely witness a few drug deals, some drug overdoses, public intoxication, assaults, petty theft, disorderly conduct...the works. More than likely a couple of arrests too. If you're especially lucky you might even get to watch some US Marshals board the bus looking for a dangerous fugitive.

Word of advice: Pick your seat wisely! When I was 15 I had the pleasure of spending 30 hours sitting right behind an old guy who had peed himself in Miami and didn't change pants until New York...

Comment

• White Lightning
                            White Lightning commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And if you think leg room is a problem on an airplane, you should definitely try greyhound.

He's going to rent a car. It's the only way to go where you want.
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4926 users online. 276 members and 4650 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X