300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discounts For LE; Appropriate To Ask?

My buddy and I were out shopping earlier today. We stopped at a local gun shop and I picked up a few small items. My buddy picked up some ammo and a few small items as well. I checked out first. When the cashier gave him the total, he said "What, no discount for law enforcement?" He wasn't in uniform, so unless the cashier was psychic, there really was no way for her to know he was LE. There weren't any visible signs or anything that I noticed that would indicate that they offered a LE discount. the cashier told him that they offered a NRA member discount, but no LE discount. She further explained that the owners do their best to keep prices competitive and their goal was to offer every customer the best possible price. (Prices were really good. Often times as good or better than big box retailers.) My buddy still appeared miffed, paid and we left the store.

Back in the car and on the road, I asked him what's with the LE discount request. He said "We offer a very important service to the public. They should recognize our sacrifices and reward us for our work". We debated the issue for a bit. He was never like this before, but I noticed he began to develop this "entitlement" attitude over the last few months since getting a new partner and moving from patrol to plain clothes work.

I personally don't ask for a discount at any establishment. If they offer a AAA, military, NRA member, or other discount, I will present my ID/membership card for the discount, but won't actively ask for one. I totally get wanting to save a few dollars and understand that some businesses offer discounts, but tend to frown on those who "expect" some kind of discount.

I know that some departments have a policy that expressly prohibits asking for a discount. Not here to "stir the pot", but would like the opinions of others, both LE and non-LE.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

That's a dick move. If they offer, that's one thing. But asking? Nope.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Your buddy has issues as you noticed. Were not entitled to anything.If its given its given.Asking for it is yes a dick move and all it will take is a call from a owner somewhere to his chief or sheriff for him to understand that when hes called on the carpet for making them take a butt chewing he caused.We had a guy do that at a cleaners once because they didnt give him a discount on his personal clothes.After they made the call no one got a discount on uniforms even anymore
      Last edited by jdthor; 02-25-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I don't see a problem in asking, it's all in how you ask and whether you accept their answer if they say no. Don't know how it is elsewhere but a lot of places here have a military/LEO discount but they don't advertise it. Especially military since there's so many posers out there these days.

You politely and discreetly ask if they offer, if affirmative, they ask to see a badge or credentials to verify. If negative, the proper response is "OK I understand, thank you."

I also had a personal criteria, I wouldn't even ask unless I was spending at least $50 or more. Now that I'm retired, I don't even ask at all, I feel it's not right for me. My barber, my gym and my local liquor store still give a modest discount to me. I've told each of them they don't have to, I don't expect it but they insist because I traded with them all for years before retiring. I agree the guy in this instance made a dick move. If I had been the business owner, I would have denied him just because of the way he asked for it.

Comment

Around me, some gun stores offer some police discounts so I'll ask. If they so no, I don't press the issue.
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Your buddy needs a Come To Jesus talk with his Supervisor. His attitude and demands are going to create HUGE issues for him and his Dept.

The expectation of a pay off is all that's needed for him to begin stealing or taking bribes. **** that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
              Around me, some gun stores offer some police discounts so I'll ask. If they so no, I don't press the issue.
              Most shops around here offer discounts to LE and Military as well. If I am buying a new firearm from a dealer, I always use letterhead, that way, there is no need for me to ask.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how much time OTJ does this guy have?
                This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
                  That's a good question. He should have taken that away from the block of instruction on ethics provided in the academy. His FTO should have also noted any ethical deficits before he was released to work solo.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
                    He's been OTJ for almost 5 years. Just got promoted out of patrol and into plain clothes about a year ago. Was OK until a couple of months ago when he got a new partner. Met the partner a few times and don't think much of the guy. Sure hope his bad habits aren't rubbing off on my buddy. Would hate to see my buddy get into some $4!t storm, as up until recently, he's been a really great guy. We hunt and fish together and I was a groomsman at his wedding. Would like to help the guy, but he's an adult and I'm not his dad.

Thanks for the responses. It wasn't so much him asking for the discount, but more the way he asked it "What, no discount for law enforcement"? Expecting 1) The cashier to know who he was, and 2) Expecting a discount in the first place. Further, when I chatted with him in the car, his explanation as to how the public "owes us" for for the work we do.

Any suggestions on how I can get through to him?
                    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                      Any suggestions on how I can get through to him?
                      Simple. Next time he does it, say to the store clerk for all to see, "I'm sorry. My partner is an @$$hole and has no manners." And then walk out. Then when you get into the car with him, say "hey F***bag, you're making us all look bad! Knock it off!!!"

I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

Simple. Next time he does it, say to the store clerk for all to see, "I'm sorry. My partner is an @$$hole and has no manners." And then walk out. Then when you get into the car with him, say "hey F***bag, you're making us all look bad! Knock it off!!!"
                        That works for me.......
                        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                          That's a dick move. If they offer, that's one thing. But asking? Nope.
                          This in spades... Tell your friend to read this thread, he should get the message.
                          Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                          In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                          Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                          Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

I've handed out so many likes in this thread.
                            A personal bugbear of mine is asking for it.

Being offered it is one thing, but actively asking makes me embarrassed if a cop does it.

Comment

If it's advertised, then no problem. GT Distributors, for example, has posted "LE Price" on all of their guns. But otherwise.. F no!
                              I once went to Police Week in DC with my old shift after we had a LODD. We were sitting at a restaurant (not in uniform), and when the check comes one of my shiftmates asks about a discount. I was mortified. Have some f-ing pride.
                              If you suspect there is a discount via word-of-mouth or something like that, ask something generic like "Do you guys have any discounts?" And if you're getting a discount on food, tip well. I always give my discount back to the server.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4085 users online. 279 members and 3806 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X