300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In honor of Braun (Retired96)

We all know the heartbreak of our furry monsters crossing over the Rainbow Bridge. But we also know the special joy of the right beast finding its way into our homes and hearts.

In honor of Braun's passing, let's tell how our favorite pets, past and present, got in our lives. Accidental connection, long search for special breed, rescue, etc.?
    How did they get their name? (forma one, and the dozen nicknames and evolutions most beloved pets acquire over the years)

This beast literally ambushed me at a shelter adoption event, reached out of what I'd thought was an empty cage by the door.
    He pulled in my hand, rubbed his little face on my arm, then laid his head in my hand, gazing up at me.

They insisted against my protests, they just had to take him out for me to hold. The tech barely inched open the door when he shot out and landed on my front, where he refused to be pried off.

They said they'd about deemed him unadoptable, because he hid whenever anyone was near, both at the shelter and the events they'd brought him. His six siblings and even mother were long gone, and this was just before they wrapped up the day's event.

Note: two close friends have volunteered decades with local shelters. Both emphatically say that when people choose pets, it doesn't always work out, for various reasons.
    But when the animal picks the human, those never, ever have to be returned! Furry beasts always get it right, just like they realize before we do that we're dating a jerk, or if any visitor to our home isn't a good person.
    Last edited by foodnerd; 12-19-2016, 03:09 PM. Reason: because I just can't help it
    "Every day should include a perfectly grilled thick steak, freshly roasted coffee and seats on the 50-yardline.

Oh, and bacon. It should start with bacon."
    ------- Me

~~~~

Agent and manager of the world's only authentic lucky football kitty. Don't believe me?
    Just look at the Seattle Seahawks 1976-2010, compared to 2011-present. (and yes, I've been a fan that long)

It’s ironic that you started this thread.

A year ago November, I had to put our Rat Terrier to sleep. He was 12 years old and the vet said there was no hope of him recovering from what was probably lung cancer according to the xrays. The vet recommended euthanasia. That was about six months prior.

We decided to take him home and make his last days as comfortable as possible. He was doing pretty well until he stopped eating and became so weak he had to be carried out to do his business.

On a Thursday he was in his bed, next to my computer desk and was having trouble breathing. He looked up at me as to say Daddy it’s time.

I used Mapp Gas to put an end to his suffering. It took about 30 seconds for him to pass on in my arms. I buried him in a plot down the hill from the house, where we have buried four other pets that have passed on.

I still cry at his passing, like I have with every pet we have lost. Eventually the sadness passes and only the good memories remain.

Thanks for the thread and letting me vent a little.
    Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
    In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
    Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by bpd303 View Post
      He looked up at me as to say.
      ​​​​​​BPD, I'm so sorry! But you gave him a wonderful life, and you were fortunate to find each other.

You also made the hardest, yet most loving decision when it got to where his quality of life was anything but.

Animals actually undestand and accept death far, far better than we humans. They also understand that you have the power to end their misery when it gets to that point, and love you all the more for it.
      That is exactly what he was asking you with that look.

This is going to sound morbid, but please hang in: they accept death much better than abandonment, and when one is withering away after its best buddy (two- or four-footed) dies it's because it thinks it's been left behind.

When one passes, you need to show the other animals and let them grieve a moment, not hasten to hide it before they discover it.

Again, so sorry! I still miss my old furry monsters, and suspect they somehow had a paw in getting this bonkers kitty into my life.
      "Every day should include a perfectly grilled thick steak, freshly roasted coffee and seats on the 50-yardline.

Oh, and bacon. It should start with bacon."
      ------- Me

~~~~

Agent and manager of the world's only authentic lucky football kitty. Don't believe me?
      Just look at the Seattle Seahawks 1976-2010, compared to 2011-present. (and yes, I've been a fan that long)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3712 users online. 246 members and 3466 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X