300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autobahn Here In The U.S

Do you think it'd be a good idea to build an autobahn here in the U.S? I read that the recommended speed limit for Germany's autobahn is 80MPH? The max. speed limit in CA is 65MPH. I feel it's a bit too slow. We should be able to do 75MPH to ease the flow of traffic.
    Yes!
    59.38%
    No!
    40.63%
    Last edited by Razor60; 10-16-2006, 11:29 PM.
    May God bless every single public servant out there!

I loved driving on the German autobahns, but I don't think it would be a good idea in the States.

Comment

I'm going to conditionally say yes. It'd be a great idea, but a lot of American drivers couldn't handle it. In Germany (and most European countries), the licensing process and requirements are far stricter than any US state, even California.

I think it'd be great to have no-limit express-lanes that travel between major cities/destinations (the I-95 corridor comes to mind), but in order to do it without dramatically increasing the number of speed-related deaths, there would either have to be a new license class introduced nationwide, or all license requirements would have to be stepped up nationwide.

So, as nice as it would be, I kinda doubt it would ever happen in the US.

(On the plus side, if we did have no-limit or high-limit speed zones, more departments would get cool sports cars like Corvettes )

Comment

I'd love to have one here in the states but you know that any teenager with a Honda Civic and a spoiler will go out and kill himself after watching Fast and Furious with his buddies.
        It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Never happen. There is a reason the Germans pay $5/gal for gas. It is the taxes to pay the up keep on the autobahn.

I voted yes, but on the condition it be a toll system where the users pay the up keep.

Comment

in MI on M-59, the speed limit is 70mph so i do about 75mph . i dont anwser the cell phone while driving, dont smoke a cigg while driving and dont listen to the radio. that would be something that us all would have to do to get the 80 mph speed limit. o well if you want the autoban, buy a plan ticket to berlin and have fun......
            sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

There is a reason the Germans pay $5/gal for gas. It is the taxes to pay the up keep on the autobahn.
              The federal budget spends roughly 2 billion Euros on the autobahns, but generates around 50 billion Euros revenue from fuel taxes...

o well if you want the autoban, buy a plan ticket to berlin and have fun......
              But please read something about the differences between the US and German road traffic regulations (e.g. right of way) and the meaning of European traffic signs on your flight!

Comment

I run around 75 or so most of the time and I only answer the phone if I have my hands free kit. I have a cd in and do not change it while in motion. I smoke, but keep both hands on the wheel unless I'm taking a pull. Cigs are in my lap and lighter is under my leg. I watch other cars carefully and have not had an accident in the 14 years I've been driving... But then again my dad spent several years in Germany and he taught me to drive.
                YOU, on your knees!!!
                Green Jello 1990

Comment

id love to have one here. I would also love to have the liscensing tests be alot harder to pass and require people over xx(x) age have to take it on a yearly/bi yearly basis. Ive also stood behind this statement. Speed isnt what kills people, its the careless driver behind the wheel. I am the only one that knows my limits of how fast i can go and what my limits are. Yes i speed everyone does, i will never surpass the limits of me or the limits of my cars, which ever happens first(<Mazda RX7 limits > mineso i go up to what my limit is, Nissan sentra limits < mine so i go up to the cars limits).

Careless drivers are the ones that cut people off, dont pay attention while driving, talking on the cellphone, putting on make up and 100 other things that people do that they shouldnt be doing while driving. Those are the people that cause accidents. Not people that safely speed. All the speed does is make an accident worse. its not the cause of the accident.
                  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Prussian
                    The federal budget spends roughly 2 billion Euros on the autobahns, but generates around 50 billion Euros revenue from fuel taxes...

You weren't supposed to tell them that.

It has been 20 years since I was last there. I'm sure things have changed very much in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Prussian

But please read something about the differences between the US and German road traffic regulations (e.g. right of way) and the meaning of European traffic signs on your flight!

well, i cant afford the ticket now ( tipical poor college student) . I wonder if British Airways has a layaway program

Comment

For the Metro Detroit folks...we have the Autobahn...we just call it I-696!!

On a serious note...as fun as it would be to go that fast and not have to worry about it...to many stupid people would abuse it and kill themselvs or somone else...or both.

You can have it...just dont put it near my city.

Comment

no I like i94 (via i75, )to DTW b4 the superbowl bridge. its a smooth service and NO POTHOLES it should be called the MICHABAHN

Comment

Not a bad spot...but i wasnt talking about roads...I just mean people FLY down 696. I remember going down there at like 80 on day and people were passing me like I was stopped

Comment

Originally posted by Prangler
                              Not a bad spot...but i wasnt talking about roads...I just mean people FLY down 696. I remember going down there at like 80 on day and people were passing me like I was stopped

very true, i guess it needs more potholes *cough* i mean more reasons for people to slow down.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13589 users online. 526 members and 13063 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X