300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip Help - TX, NM, AZ

It's been a long time since I've taken a real vacation, so in about 8 days I'm starting a road trip that will take me from Southern California through Phoenix, Tuscon, Dallas, San Antonio, Galveston, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island, Brownsville, Laredo, El Paso, Yuma and back home again.

I prefer driving because it gives me a chance to discover odd and unusual things and places. For example, on previous trips I've come across a Texas farmer who has welded all his old tractor parts into sculptures and put them in his front yard by I-20, or the international border crossing from Los Ebanos, Texas to Mexico, where instead of using a bridge, you drive onto a giant pontoon raft that gets pulled across the Rio Grand, or the Bolivar Peninsula where everything that falls into the Gulf of Mexico seems to wash up on the shores of Texas, providing interesting beach combing. I also love hole in the wall eateries that serve great tasting food.

Can those of you in Texas, New Mexico & Arizona (or who have traveled through those states) recommend any odd or interesting places to visit or eat?

Thanks!

L-1
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

TX State Fair in Dallas http://www.bigtex.com/
    The Thing in AZ http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/AZCOCthing.html
    Rosa's Cantina in El Paso
    Tombstone, AZ is a great place for history

If you're a fan of country music turn your radio dial to 95.3 when you get close to Dallas.

I'm leaving on the 6th going out your way for a couple months for a contract. If you see a medium blue VW jetta w/ TX plates wave. Not many of the color made so it will probably be me if you see one.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
      It's been a long time since I've taken a real vacation, so in about 8 days I'm starting a road trip that will take me from Southern California through Phoenix, Tuscon, Dallas, San Antonio, Galveston, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island, Brownsville, Laredo, El Paso, Yuma and back home again.

I prefer driving because it gives me a chance to discover odd and unusual things and places. For example, on previous trips I've come across a Texas farmer who has welded all his old tractor parts into sculptures and put them in his front yard by I-20, or the international border crossing from Los Ebanos, Texas to Mexico, where instead of using a bridge, you drive onto a giant pontoon raft that gets pulled across the Rio Grand, or the Bolivar Peninsula where everything that falls into the Gulf of Mexico seems to wash up on the shores of Texas, providing interesting beach combing. I also love hole in the wall eateries that serve great tasting food.

Can those of you in Texas, New Mexico & Arizona (or who have traveled through those states) recommend any odd or interesting places to visit or eat?

Thanks!

L-1

If you are going from Dallas To San Anotino you will only be about 20 minutes from me!!
      FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

You could stop at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco just off of I-35 by the river.It is pretty cool and usually a Ranger or two are on hand talking to people and signing Autographs with pics.
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

You have to check out:

-Sedona, AZ- about an hour north of Phoenix - shops and food.
          -Montizumas Castle- that is on the way to Sedona
          -There is a giagantic crater I believe towards Tucson, but not sure on that one.
          -On the way from Cali stop and see the sights and london bridge in Lake Havasu!
          - There are tons of things to see around the Phoenix area depending how long your going to stay at each spot.
          ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

The northern route is very pretty. If you hit Phoenix and shoot up to Flagstaff you can cut through Albuquerque, NM and then into Dallas the back way. It's very pretty and their are tons of little places to stop at. I'm thinking of heading that way on my way out to CA and then take the southern route back to TX to see a Navy buddy in El Paso.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I'll have to look up the name, but there is a really great restaurant in New Braunfels on the outskits of town.

The Riverwalk in San Antonio has lots of interesting shops, and a boat ride thru the city.

Nasa is on the road south to Galveston, and Galveston itself is very unique and quaint - check out the museums.
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

If you're near Cottonwood Az. around 10/06 there's a big MC Rallye there. Near Tucson a real good outdoor airplane museum, Every Saturday night in Scottsdale Az. at " The Pavillons" shopping center is a car show with always 200 cars or so ranging from imports to stuff you'd see at Barett-Jackson auctions worth 6 figures. Sotuth Mountain Park in Phx is huge & if you go to the top of the mountain gives you a great view of the whole valley. Scottsdale has the Frank Loyd Wright Museum a great place to see contemporary architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared
                  I'll have to look up the name, but there is a really great restaurant in New Braunfels on the outskits of town.

The Grist Mill in Gruene????
                  FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
                    The Grist Mill in Gruene????
                    I can't remember - it was German type food though - yum! When I can do a search I'll know, because the building was very distinctive - I think they made their own sausages too.
                    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared
                      I can't remember - it was German type food though - yum! When I can do a search I'll know, because the building was very distinctive - I think they made their own sausages too.
                      New Braunfels Smoke House?

Been there, overpriced.

Comment

The crater that Hutch speaks of is in Winslow, Arizona. The park is located off I-40 east of Flagstaff. The Phoenix area is loaded with things to see and do but you need some time to get around to them all. The downtown area is ripped apart right now for revitilization and light rail but the capitol building area is very interesting with memorials and office buildings with neat things inside and out. The mining commission has a cool set up with a HUGE shovel from the mines.

Another place you can check out is the city website that has a lot of good information on it. Slide Rock in Sedona, Payson, Flagstaff are the really beautiful places to see and stay, especially if it's just you and the misses. You can also check out the Arizona State website for information. I also know of a rag mag that comes out at the bike shops that has LOTS of hole in the wall eateries/drinkeries (hehe) and other interesting ilk.

-Mike-
                        "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure..."

August evenings
                        Bring solemn warnings
                        To remember to kiss the ones you love goodnight
                        You never know what temporal days may bring
                        Laugh, love, live free and sing
                        When life is in dischord
                        Praise ye the lord

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Please keep them coming as I am making a list of what sounds interesting to explore.

Comment

Roswell, NM: UFO museum

Comment

Hmmm... unique and interesting in Dallas.... I'll have to get back to you on that one. Pkagel is right... you should check out the Texas State Fair. This years fried food creation is fried coke (as in the soda). Great people watching!

I love road trips too.... in Dec., I'll be driving from TX to NJ.
                              Last edited by icecoldblueyes; 09-30-2006, 06:28 AM.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
                              and I'm not sure about the former.
                              -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5307 users online. 284 members and 5023 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X