300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would it make a differance

I know as a dispatcher that we take calls every single day where somebody thinks the meth monster is out to get them and I understands an officers impatients and lack of urgency on some of these calls but I've lately began to witness something that is quite scary. I will try to keep this short as possible.

I live in a nieghborhood that is very diverse. We inhabit just about every race from one end to the other, litterally going from colored, hispanic, arian, indian and so forth. Lower middle class neighborhood with everything from people like me, firemen, elderly and of course gangs, drug dealers ect.

A couple weeks ago the gang across the street got into a fight with the arain's next door to me. Believe it or not the gang kids were being pretty cool about the situation while the arian woman was chasing a hispanic and black kid down the street with a meat cleaver and a butcher knife. Her husband shows up as the rest of the neighbors were attempting to keep her from killing the kids since it took the police over 30 minutes to respond.
    Anyway, she's chasing the kids, the cops show up after picking a couple of the kids up at the end of the street. She laid her weapons down on the ground when she saw them coming up the road which her son picked up and as I was walking out of the way, I noticed her husband was standing in my yard with a gun behind his back. I talked him into taking it back in the house. (was not yelling hey he's got a gun would not have been good for me the cops or anybody else) They scolded the kids and made her out to be the victim. (hmmm!)

Come to find out the fight was over drugs. 3 houses have been partying and running dope, I think my neighbors are cooking but I haven't been able to prove it. They're not stupid and they let everybody know that I work for a police dept so to watch their traffic and activities, plus they are accomplished criminals and experienced cookers. Haven't got enough to get the cops actually in the house and stuff yet though and I live next door if that tells you how well they watch themselves.

Well, basically I find out about the word on the street about me because the people across the street where the gang lives comes running to my house. The story goes as would any good tweeker story. They are walking on the roof, in the attick, getting into their cars, sabatoging things, cutting phone lines, yada yada yada. Supposedly "they" are working with the neighbors next to the gang family. I was very direct and told them point blank that they were tweeking and they needed to go home get some sleep and get off the stuff. They politely asked me to keep an eye on their house and left.

Here's where it gets weird. I'm fall cleaning and have all the curtains off my windows and am attempting to hang some new blinds when I see "they" actually walk up to the gang families door stand there for a few minutes, walk away, get into the back of the families van and close the door so that the "they" couldn't be seen, get out of the van with tire irons and tools, walk back to their own vehicles then back to the people's house next to the families house. The gang family calls the police again, the cops respond "they" are standing on the front porch out of sight of the family until "they" see the cops and then go into the neighbors house. I was floored. "they" are real and "they" are messsing with the family across the street, and "they" are working with the families neighbor to get away with it.

Cops do their thing and leave. Undoubtedly the cops were out about 4 times through the day and into the night. I wake to hearing people talking, (keep in mind part of this insanity actually lives next door to me) couldn't make out what was being said and thought maybe the kids were watching tv. Get up it's 4:30 am and everybody is in bed, look outside don't see anybody, no dogs are barking. Okay, I'm hearing things and go back to bed. Within a few minutes I hear gun shots. Look out and their are 4 people walking out of the families house. It's dark, can't see who it is but 2 go one way and 2 go the other. Before I have a chance to reach for the phone the mom comes running out of the house directly to my house with her younger 2 children screaming for help. I open the door bring in the family and call the cops.

Now the cops have just been out an hour ago from what I'm being told and they are getting irritated but this call did not come from the family. I called in with shots fired and a scared family sitting in my living room floor wrapped in blankets and the possibility according to the mom that their is still somebody in their house.

Cops show up pull directly infront of the house, walk straight up to the door, directly in front of the door. I reported when I called that the family was at my house and that "shot's were fired" I again have to take the weapons from people before they go out to talk to the cops and the family was carrying this time. The cops let the family walk into the house with them and follow them around the house as they check the yard. Sometimes the mom was actually leading them to where she wanted them to check. They again told her as I had originally that they were tweeking and to go to bed.

I called back in and talked to dispatch and informed them again of what I had seen and that I was awakened by the gun shots and that I worked for a local police depatment and was not a part of the stuff that was going on in the neighborhood and I personally don't want my children caught in the cross fire when these people get to the point that they start killing each other and not just messing with each other. The cops left. No report, no talking to me or any of the other neighbors, nothing.

Now I see both sides so I understand the point of veiw of the officer, but at what point do they stop thinking drugs and blowing people off and start listening? In this case unfortunately it's going to cost somebody their life, if not somebody in the neighborhood preferably nobody in my house or an officers life. Their has not been a single time that people have not had to be disarmed before the cops came in and they have gone from sending 3-4 units to sending 1. I've requested extra patrol and their has not been one single unit go down my street since.

What do you do when you've told dispatch everything and the officers still respond like everybodies just doing dope. I'm not sure if it would do any good to go to a shift super and explain the seriousness of the situation, I don't know if dispatch is giving the officers all the info. What would you do in this type of situation? I'm not moving this really is not a bad neighborhood it's just these three houses. Stupid thing is I was on the do not socialize list until all this started now they are running to my house thinking I can help. I'm not a cop and just like them I just want the cops to do their job without somebody getting killed.

Their has not been a single time that people have not had to be disarmed

***Seriously, dude, why are you disarming anyone in that area????

I don't know if dispatch is giving the officers all the info.

***Yes, dispatchers frequently like to withold info from officers, it's all a big secret....

What would you do in this type of situation?

***MOVE, it sounds like the neighbourhood ain't all that great.

I'm not moving this really is not a bad neighborhood it's just these three houses.

***Yeah, it is a bad neighbourhood, particularlyif someone is running around with meat cleavers and guns.

Comment

A little advice? If you post here, it's best to sum up what you're trying to say rather than make these huge posts. I just read through it and I still have no idea what you were trying to say. The questions tagged on the end don't exactly clarify things, because the rest of the post makes no sense.

Comment

Very confusing - and if you are a dispatcher, you should know what info is given and why.

You knew that someone was carrying a gun during the first event, and instead of advising any of the officers on scene - you chose to talk the armed person instead - you put the lives of the responding officers in danger!
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I'd have a chat with the watch commander. I'd point out that there is a lot more going on than the officers seem to be aware of (and I'd lay it out in detail). I would also point out that everyone runs to your house because of your affiliation and that you don't want to get caught in the middle just because you live there. Most W/Cs are pretty good about getting problems like this squared away.

Years back I had a similar situation involving a dope dealer who moved in next door. I had a quick chat with the local PD (I worked for a different agency). They had him in custody within a week did so in such a manner as to not point the finger at me.
          Last edited by L-1; 11-16-2005, 02:40 PM.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I'm not going out of my way to disarm anybody for some reason just pointing out to them the consequences of aproaching the officers swinging a weapon around even if just excited about the current events seems to be enough to make them put stuff down, and the only reason I'm even involved is because they keep coming to my house or ending up in my yard because I'm the middle house and they all have to cross me to get to each other.

As for the guy with the gun, 1st off you would have to know that I have watched these people fight the cops in my neighborhood over trying to red tag a car that I called them on after it sat in front of my house for 3 months. 2nd I was standing next to him in my yard when I saw he had a gun, without making an issue of anything or getting myself killed by him or the cops I was able to get him to hand the gun to somebody who would put it away. Screaming that he had a gun would have made things much worse and I was in the cross fire. Sorry if you think I put an officer in danger but personally I wasn't looking to get shot either. Imagine living in my house after walking up to an officer and going "hey, hey that guy over there has a gun" Yeah, while I'm at it I'll just paste a target on my forehead!

And, I have lived in this neighborhood for sometime now. I can't afford to move and like I said it is mostly people like me, firemen, and elderly people it is only these three houses that are a problem and they happen to all be right next to or infront of my house. If I can get the day shift sgt to return my call I intend to see if they can do something either with the gang task force or drug, but I have teenage kids myself and honostly I left cali so my kids didn't have to sleep on the floor to avoid bullets, I don't want these people on me or my kids, and them knowing I turned them in would not be cool. Gang on one side Arian Nation on the other. Hmmm, there's a no brainer.

As a dispatcher I really try not to leave out the little details when sending my officers on calls, like "shots fired" "home owners across the street" "possible suspect in the residance" Just stupid little things like that I assume are passed on when an officer is dispatched to such a call.

Comment

[QUOTE=L-}
              Years back I had a similar situation involving a dope dealer who moved in next door. I had a quick chat with the local PD (I worked for a different agency). They had him in custody within a week did so in such a manner as to not point the finger at me.[/QUOTE]

thanks, so far I haven't been able to get anybody to call me back. I may talk so some of my own and see if they have some buddies over here.

Comment

You could also find out who owns the house (most of these people rent) and talk to the landlord about what's going on there.

Comment

Originally posted by gotyrbk
                  I'm not going out of my way to disarm anybody for some reason just pointing out to them the consequences of aproaching the officers swinging a weapon around even if just excited about the current events seems to be enough to make them put stuff down, and the only reason I'm even involved is because they keep coming to my house or ending up in my yard because I'm the middle house and they all have to cross me to get to each other.

As for the guy with the gun, 1st off you would have to know that I have watched these people fight the cops in my neighborhood over trying to red tag a car that I called them on after it sat in front of my house for 3 months. 2nd I was standing next to him in my yard when I saw he had a gun, without making an issue of anything or getting myself killed by him or the cops I was able to get him to hand the gun to somebody who would put it away. Screaming that he had a gun would have made things much worse and I was in the cross fire. Sorry if you think I put an officer in danger but personally I wasn't looking to get shot either. Imagine living in my house after walking up to an officer and going "hey, hey that guy over there has a gun" Yeah, while I'm at it I'll just paste a target on my forehead!

And, I have lived in this neighborhood for sometime now. I can't afford to move and like I said it is mostly people like me, firemen, and elderly people it is only these three houses that are a problem and they happen to all be right next to or infront of my house. If I can get the day shift sgt to return my call I intend to see if they can do something either with the gang task force or drug, but I have teenage kids myself and honostly I left cali so my kids didn't have to sleep on the floor to avoid bullets, I don't want these people on me or my kids, and them knowing I turned them in would not be cool. Gang on one side Arian Nation on the other. Hmmm, there's a no brainer.

As a dispatcher I really try not to leave out the little details when sending my officers on calls, like "shots fired" "home owners across the street" "possible suspect in the residance" Just stupid little things like that I assume are passed on when an officer is dispatched to such a call.
                  I certainly would not expect you to to make a scene, but you could have made a call back ref the gun?

Not sure where you are at, but we have crime prevention and gang suppression units, and you can request extra patrols and enforcement without appearing to be involved.
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I can't speak for every agency, but requesting extra patrols isn't going to get you anywhere. Every crime victim wants extra patrols, and if you live a neighborhood that is busy the police will be bouncing call to call and won't have time to make a drive down your street, or the 100 other streets they were requested to drive down that week.

If you wanted follow-up with the officers you should have requested that when you made your original call. If you feared for your safety you could have requested a phone call.

Now to help you with your problem, findout if there is a community police office or district sub office with police officers dedicated to solving neighborhood problems such as yours. Speak to the watch command, or an NCO or Officer in charge of your part of the city. Start documenting incidents with dates and times and physically walk into the office to make a complaint, if you are concerned about the neighbors don't see a police car in front of your house.

You may also want to findout if your complaint was miss handled by the complaint taker and dispatcher, as mistakes do happen.

Follow -up and keep us advised. (with a smaller post)

Comment

It cost $1200 to patrol my neighborhood. This was just to patrol. Not to sit in the neighborhood.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6798 users online. 352 members and 6446 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X