Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's going to be a long night shift....

Well, it finally happened. After much anticipation, yesterday, Nov. 5, the sun finally set for the last time this year. This will be my first "dark season" in the high arctic. Although the sun will not return until Feb 6, I'm actually looking forward to experiencing the next 3 months. I know I won't enjoy the 24hr dark as much as the 24 hour sun, but when you're living on the 73rd parrallel you going to experience some extremes. (ie: today was -30 C) For the next couple of weeks, we'll have a couple of hours of twilight, but nothing more. When the sun does return in February, the days will get longer by 23 minutes a day.
    But by the grace of God, I am what I am.
    1 Corinthians 15:10

You and JakFlak should meet up and exchange remedies.

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

During these three months is there roughly the same amount of light 24 hours a day? Man that has to be rough.
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Please don't remind me about the -30

Comment

Does your suicide rate spike? I assume it does. I also hear that people will have parties at like 9 in the morning with excessive alcohol. And that people just about go crazy. Any truth to this?
          It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

wow....just wow.
            RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

ahhhhhh

But you'll get the northern lights!

Got your bunny boots?
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

hmmm..... I would sleep all the time with all darkness all the time....

I should go some place like that just once just to see what its like...
                THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Wow, you must be a lot farther north than me. The sun doesn't set here until November 19.

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                    During these three months is there roughly the same amount of light 24 hours a day? Man that has to be rough.
                    That's the best time of year! The evil sun has been banished!

Comment

51904,I give you credit!I couln't stand 24 hours of sun or darkness.it would drive me nuts.I know in parts of Alasksa,where they have 24 hours of darkness,they have a lot of depression,some even where lights above their eyes to combat this.We just changed the clocks here.It gets dark at 5 p.m.,I can't even stand that.Did you grow up there?

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                        Wow, you must be a lot farther north than me. The sun doesn't set here until November 19.
                        You must be farther north then me, I don't get a sunset like that....I think we get down to three or four hours of daylight...

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Originally posted by usafcop64528
                          You must be farther north then me, I don't get a sunset like that....I think we get down to three or four hours of daylight...
                          I'm in Kaktovik; right on the Arctic Ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                            I'm in Kaktovik; right on the Arctic Ocean.
                            Yup...that's way north of me. How's it up there?

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Originally posted by usafcop64528
                              Yup...that's way north of me. How's it up there?
                              I like it. I'm 300 miles away from the nearest boss. Granted, I'm also about 90 miles from the nearest backup too.....

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6711 users online. 297 members and 6414 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X