300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to Drive

OK, this is something I'm sure y'all have experience with so... how 'bout a couple tips?
    I'm getting my learner's permit *hopefully* soon and any tips on learning to drive (besides the obvious Don't Crash) would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

-Always wear a seatbelt.
    -Always look over your shoulder when backing up.
    -Use all mirrors when changing lanes/making turns
    -Get used to the gas pedals, some are more sensitive than others and you need to adjust according to which vehicle you are using.

Hmm, Good luck. I really can't think of much more... but if I do, ill post them.
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

In the winter on ice and snow, if you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, it goes faster, better than a 2-wheel drive vehicle --- BUT THEY ALL STOP THE SAME --- BADLY.

Oh yes almost forgot; you can get hurt and even die in a traffic accident, maybe even in a wheelchair for the rest of your life
      Kelly

We are the thin blue line
      between you
      and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by TPD Cadet
        -Always wear a seatbelt.
        -Always look over your shoulder when backing up.
        -Use all mirrors when changing lanes/making turns
        -Get used to the gas pedals, some are more sensitive than others and you need to adjust according to which vehicle you are using.

Hmm, Good luck. I really can't think of much more... but if I do, ill post them.
        And check blind spot**

Comment

-If possible, take a defensive driving course. Eight hours of a Saturday could save your life.

-DON'T SPEED!
          -Watch for police.
          -If available, try to also learn how to drive a standard.
          -Don't drink and drive.
          -Watch for deer.
          -Learn which pedal is the gas and which in the brake. Don't mistake the gas for the brake.
          -When changing lanes, SMSM (Signal, mirrors, shoulder-check, move).
          -Keep a safe following distance and always leave yourself a way out.
          -On right-turns, try to get into the curb as much as possible without hitting it.
          -Tip on parallel parking- adjust your right mirror so that you can still see the lane beside you, but you can also see the top part your right fender and where your wheel is. This will also help with right-turns.
          -Always be prepared to yield.
          -Drive expecting everything around you could blow-up at any second and drive so that you can avoid it.
          -Don't slam on your brakes in the winter time. Instead, press down firmly, just before they're about to lock.
          -Drive extra cautiously as midnight approaches and especially after 2:00 am when then bars close.
          -Do everything in your power to avoid or lessen the impact of a collision. I just read in the newspaper about a guy who got into a head-on collision on an undivided highway. He stated that "(he) had no where to turn, so (he) shut his eyes and slammed on the brakes." I was just down that highway and saw where the accident happened. He had a whole shoulder and ditch he could have turned into and possibly avoid the entire accident.
          -That said, NEVER close your eyes. In a crisis, look to where you want to go and steer there.
          -As tempting as it may be, DON'T play bumper tag.
          -Don't tailgate the slow driver ahead of you.
          -If taffic is moving suspiciously slower than usual, chances are there's a police car somewhere close by. Adjust your driving accordingly. Even if you're not speeding excessively, you can still be pulled over. (I know I did! )

Comment

Mirror placement is key.
            Rear-view: common sense. See out the rear.
            Side-views, however, should be set in accordance to where your rear is set. This is the little test I ran. I sit in the car, with some cars behind me (parking lot works great). Adjust the rearview to where it's well-aimed. Then look and see what you can see. Then look out of the driver's side mirror, and adjust it so that what you're seeing out of the rear is "continued" on the side-view mirror. Repeat on the right. This way, if your peripheral is any good, you will see a vehicle in your rear-view, it will transition to your side view, and as the rear of the car leaves the side view, the front of it should enter your peripheral vision. No blind spots. Works beautifully for me (still do head-checks, of course, but this way, you don't really *have* to).

Comment

Dont street race.

Its more dangerous than fun (though Im not in THAT boat ) And if you got a temper, keep it in check. The guy you throw the finger to might throw a couple shots back at you. Or worse, make you crash your car.

If you get cut off, ignore them. The person is probably a simplistic pr**k on a cell phone talking to someone they only wish they could be, driving something foreign that is 13 years old with high miles but still thinks its nice, going way too fast for the conditions, changing lanes in and out of traffic like he's weaving a basket, without a turn signal on. Yeah I hate them people too, with the passion.

Just make the right decisions and stay safe.
              Reputation is the cornerstone of power

Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY POLICE
              Written - Passed
              Physical test - Passed
              Background Investigation - Finished
              Oral Board - Passed
              Polygraph - Passed
              Chief's Decision - Pending
              Medical Exam - Pending Chief's Decision
              Psycological Exam - Pending Chief's Decision

Comment

My big rule is "expect the unexpected." Constantly run scenarios through your head. Soon you will do it without trying. It will become habit. Examples:

-I wonder if the stuff in that pickup truck is strapped down tightly
                -Since the lane next to me is backed up, I wonder if somebody will pull out in front of me (look at the tires of the cars in that lane. If you see the front tires turn towards your lane you better get on the brakes)
                -I wonder if there are any deer in the area (keep your eye on ditches where they like to jump out from)
                -Since that guy is tailgating me, what will I do if the light suddenly turns yellow

And one BIG important thing. My biggest pet peeve. If you are driving on the expressway or a highway, especially one with only two lanes going in your direction STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE unless your passing somebody!!!! Please don't be a left lane hog. I can
                It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

I found it easier to learn to drive with a vehicle that had a manual transmission. That way when you get that down you can pretty much jump in anything and be able to drive it. It's easier to jump from a manual to an auto rather than auto to manual. my .02
                  si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by 00svtlightning
                    I found it easier to learn to drive with a vehicle that had a manual transmission. That way when you get that down you can pretty much jump in anything and be able to drive it. It's easier to jump from a manual to an auto rather than auto to manual. my .02
                    Except for when you hop into an automatic after driving a stick your foot reaches for the clutch and nothing is there.

My POV is a stick and every damn day I get into the squad I go for the clutch before I start it. I just do it once at the beginning of the shift then I'm fine the rest of the day. But darn it, I do it every freakin
                    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
                      And check blind spot**
                      I have a convertible.

But good advice none the less!
                      U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                      Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

When you approach an intersection:
                        1) look up 2 or three times and make sure you have a green light.
                        2)Always go the speed limit ot less through intersections and look left and right to make sure people stop.

Look for the person making a left turn in front of you.

3)Make when you make a left turn at an intersection that you know whether you have a green arrow to go thru the light or it is a green light where you have to yield to traffic.

When you are making a left turn look up at least twice to make sure you have a green arrow. it changes quickly.

Never ever look down. always look ahead.

Leave enough following distance. 2+ seconds if possible.

Don't drive with a cell phone it really is dangerous.

Place your left hand on the steering wheel at 4 o'clock. place your right hand at 8 o'clock. This keeps you from turning the steering wheel too much in an emergency situation and losing control.

This may surprise some but its true. Once you have lost control of your car let go of the steering wheel The car will automatically try to correct itself. Once the car has corrected itself grab the steering wheel. Slowly and carefully apply your brakes until you come to a complete stop.

Comment

I have yet to be in an accident while I am driving (knock on wood) but I think the times where I cut it pretty close is when changing lanes. I'd be careless and wouldn't look over my shoulder, instead I'd check my mirrors and assume (BAD IDEA). I've had a couple close calls that way. When someone's in your blind spot, your mirrors aren't gonna show it, so don't be stupid and assume your mirrors are reliable 100% of the time cause they aren't...

Comment

Originally posted by JustDontDie
                            I have yet to be in an accident while I am driving (knock on wood) but I think the times where I cut it pretty close is when changing lanes. I'd be careless and wouldn't look over my shoulder, instead I'd check my mirrors and assume (BAD IDEA). I've had a couple close calls that way. When someone's in your blind spot, your mirrors aren't gonna show it, so don't be stupid and assume your mirrors are reliable 100% of the time cause they aren't...
                            And along those lines, stay out of other peoples blind spots. If your going to pass, then pass. Don't sit at the rear left side of the other persons car because you know whats going to happen...

Comment

have a beer or 3 first....calms the nerves
                              Leave Space Empty

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5357 users online. 307 members and 5050 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X