Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with this Situation?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What to do with this Situation?

    A friend of mine asked for some guidance on this situation, where family ties were used to obtain employment.Some Years back (Friend) asked his Uncle to speak on his behalf concerning employment in Law Enforcement in the city wher Uncle lived and is well thought of!Friend was hired and later sent to the Academy where he graduated and certified as a Leo.The friend later in time left the city.Here is the situation, there presist Bad Blood between City and Uncle toward the Nephew.The Nephew my (Friend) asked my advice on how to resolve this situation.I instructed him to issue a letter of apology to the Mayor and Board of Aldermen, concerning his departure and too offer to work as a Reserve. To repay the city for the cost to send to the Academy and salary for the time he was at the Academy,Offer to work 2 days a week for 90 days.To resolve the bad feelings and too repair a burned bridge figurativly speaking.What would be your advice to my Friend?

  • #2
    did he leave for another dept.?

    how long did he work there before he left?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gotthblues
      did he leave for another dept.?

      how long did he work there before he left?
      Yes he left for another Dept,How long 2yrs.The City expected 5 years of service,but was only a word agreement not a wriiten documentation,Friend did not agree to that stipulation before entering the Academy!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Medea
        Yes he left for another Dept,How long 2yrs.The City expected 5 years of service,but was only a word agreement not a wriiten documentation,Friend did not agree to that stipulation before entering the Academy!
        well, with THAT being the case, i would say to him, "dont sweat it" no one can, well at least no one should, hold it against someone for wanting to better themselves. people might get bent out of shape, but oh well, just shows how much of an *** they are, thats their problem.
        if he had only been there a year or less, well that looks bad, but again, oh well, cause i am assuming that he left for a dept with deeper pockets, correct, poorer dept will always get bent out of shape, but if they will be honest, they cant expect someone to stay for chump change.
        me, i was at might dept for two yrs, before i applied somewhere else, my capt got all ****y about it, hadnt had one problem with him for around 6 months, next thing i know, i was finger printing rocks and rewritting reports 4 or 5 times before he would let them pass, just showing his ***.
        but again, i wouldnt worry about it if i were him, going back isnt going to make it better. hell, it might hurt him, they might screw with him and try to tarnish him at his other job. if you are there for atleast one yr, then its fair game, at least in my opinion, and the opinion of a couple other capts. in my former dept. smaller depts just need to get over themselves, or get off their ***'s and start applying for grants so they can pay their officers better, if not, they will lose them, its just he way of the world.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gotthblues
          well, with THAT being the case, i would say to him, "dont sweat it" no one can, well at least no one should, hold it against someone for wanting to better themselves. people might get bent out of shape, but oh well, just shows how much of an *** they are, thats their problem.
          if he had only been there a year or less, well that looks bad, but again, oh well, cause i am assuming that he left for a dept with deeper pockets, correct, poorer dept will always get bent out of shape, but if they will be honest, they cant expect someone to stay for chump change.
          me, i was at might dept for two yrs, before i applied somewhere else, my capt got all ****y about it, hadnt had one problem with him for around 6 months, next thing i know, i was finger printing rocks and rewritting reports 4 or 5 times before he would let them pass, just showing his ***.
          but again, i wouldnt worry about it if i were him, going back isnt going to make it better. hell, it might hurt him, they might screw with him and try to tarnish him at his other job. if you are there for atleast one yr, then its fair game, at least in my opinion, and the opinion of a couple other capts. in my former dept. smaller depts just need to get over themselves, or get off their ***'s and start applying for grants so they can pay their officers better, if not, they will lose them, its just he way of the world.
          Thanks for yor response,its appreciated!

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree

            I remember when I got my first job in LE. I was asked on the polygraph (first time I was asked that question was on the poly...can you believe that) .....

            Anyways, I was asked on the poly if I intended to be employed by the department 2 years from now. I said "Yes", because I did so intend. As it turned out, I stayed 4 years, but left for another job. And there were no hard feelings.

            But I agree that if he stayed that long, there should be no hard feelings. Quitting right after the academy is crappy, but not after two years. In this case, sounds like the city wanted all of the benefits of a contract without any of the obligations of a contract. We can't have it both ways, and neither can they.
            You can now follow me on twitter.

            Comment

            MR300x250 Tablet

            Collapse

            What's Going On

            Collapse

            There are currently 4337 users online. 253 members and 4084 guests.

            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

            Welcome Ad

            Collapse
            Working...
            X