300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a Moral Dilemma...

OK, guys, I'd like some input on this...

I petsit as a way to make a bit of extra money now in then. For a cat for one visit a day (about 30 minutes of time with the animal) I charge generally $5, never had a job last more than 2 weeks in a row.

A woman wants me to take care of her cat. She and her husband are going to Ohio because he needs a lung transplant. However, they do not know when they will have to go and will probably only be able to give me 24 hrs notice.
    They will be gone for 2 months at least. (I'm guessing more, seeing as how its medical).
    The woman told me she'll pay me $100 a month, I'd normally make $150. So at this point I'm thinking, OK, I may still take the job.
    But I find out she expects me to come 2 times a day (morning and evening) for $100/month.

This will most likely happen in winter, when we have 2 feet snow on the ground and I can't bike, so walking there will take me 20 minutes each way... that's 80 minutes a day, plus the visiting time, comes to 140 minutes a day.

So what I would normally charge would be something like $8/day for the two visits, which would come to around $240/month...
    So here's my question:
    Should I
    A) Take the job as a good deed for someone in hard circumstances... or
    B) Decline the job, knowing I already have a busy schedule and I'll have to get up early and spend lots of time walking and get crappy pay (I could use $100, but the work's not worth the money IMO).

What do you guys think?
    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

That is hard. Maybe you could comprise with her. Tell her how much you would normally charge for what she wants, but tell her you will only charge her like $150 a month instead of the $240. That way you are still doing a good deed, but not feeling like you are not getting your monies worth.
    If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

Is the owner a family friend?

If she is, that makes a huge difference.

Comment

it's a tough one alright. i would say compromise like dave stated but remember they are leaving for a lung transplant. no easy thing for anybody.

Comment

Do it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by JustDontDie
            Do it for free.

Now I would do it for free if it was right next door and everything but its not.

If you do it for free, take it out as a tax deduction.

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
              Is the owner a family friend?
              No, she's not. She's like a neighbor of a not-so-close friend, so I don't know her.

I'm leaning towards not taking the job, because I'm a high school student and I have other things in my life than taking care of a cat for several months.
              Plus leaving a house for two months, even without a cat, bad things are bound to happen, right? Especially in winter when we get bad blizzards...
              At the same time it makes me feel like crap because I know how crazy things must be for them right now.
              Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Ask the lady for $100 if you can take the cat to your house (if you agree) and that way no walking, no real extra tasks and you are still keeping the cat looked after.

Comment

Originally posted by medic_9
                  Ask the lady for $100 if you can take the cat to your house (if you agree) and that way no walking, no real extra tasks and you are still keeping the cat looked after.
                  That would be the best solution IMO, but my family is allergic to cats and we have one cat (she is a shorthair and doesn't bother me) as well as one rabbit who has free run of the house and I'd be worried about them all trying to kill eachother, lol

Comment

ok. Up the price to $150 (or whatever) and tell the lady you will babysit her house at the same time if you can live there while they are gone. You will take care of general maintenance (grass and snow) and make sure there are no major problems while they are away.

Better?

Comment

Can you take the cat in at your place?

Comment

sounds like a better plan, medic

Comment

A cat doesn't need a person to check in on it two times per day. If she won't budge on the price, tell her you will make sure the animal has food and water and check on it every other day.

Comment

Comprimise with her. also can you stay at there house? my buddy stays at someones house who has 2 dogs and he makes a killing!! of course these people are rich and have a sweet mansion! yah or take it to your place.

Comment

Originally posted by medic_9
                              ok. Up the price to $150 (or whatever) and tell the lady you will babysit her house at the same time if you can live there while they are gone. You will take care of general maintenance (grass and snow) and make sure there are no major problems while they are away.

Better?
                              That would be the best one or just suck it up and do it for $100 and see it as doing something nice for someone. I'm pretty sure her lung isn't all that cheap. And besides, I highly doubt your blizzards are as bad as ours. Why not borrow the car from your parents or ask for a ride at least one way?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5372 users online. 296 members and 5076 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X