Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sociology Essay - Crime

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sociology Essay - Crime

    Hello all,

    I am trying to pick a topic for a Sociology essay that I have to write. I'm looking for suggestions for a topic or a refinement of one of mine. I would like it to be based on crime or an aspect of crime

    Some that I have thought of:
    Who commits crime
    Repeat offenders
    Sentencing
    Homelessness and crime
    Mental illness and crime

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have to base my essay from information recieved from articles in journals (that are specifically sociology related).

  • #2
    This sounds like something I'm going to have to do for my Sociology class after Christmas.

    Me personally, I'd choose the "who commits crimes." Lots of journal articles here to back me up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Start the class with a very large bottle of Aspirin...

      What a headache this essay is giving me.

      I've decided on a thesis:

      Crime impacts daily life in a variety of ways, these include daily fear, choice of living environment, an increase in policing policies, economy change, safety measures and innovative policing ideas.

      I'm not sure if it is too broad or not.

      Comment


      • #4
        Some other idea's for ya

        - Why the sudden drastic increase in the womens prison population?

        - Media influence and crime (tons of info on that)
        Retired 02/01/13

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by medic_9
          Start the class with a very large bottle of Aspirin...

          What a headache this essay is giving me.

          I've decided on a thesis:

          Crime impacts daily life in a variety of ways, these include daily fear, choice of living environment, an increase in policing policies, economy change, safety measures and innovative policing ideas.

          I'm not sure if it is too broad or not.
          Is your topic on how crime impacts daily life in the sociological environment? If so, then you're not too broad. I will tell you this though, lose the comma between "ways" and "these." *cough* comma splice *cough*

          Comment


          • #6
            Me2

            I gotta keep my eye on this thread... I'm taking sociology too. Gotta do field work AND a research paper I want to do my field work on something LE-related but I don't know how that'll work out.
            Thanks in advance for the advice.
            Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

            Comment


            • #7
              I did Sociology as a minor in college.... I did not care for those classes at all. Mostly for the old burntout hippies that taught them at my school. The theory classes were the worst .

              Originally posted by bigcop97
              Some other idea's for ya

              - Why the sudden drastic increase in the womens prison population?

              - Media influence and crime (tons of info on that)
              A couple classes I took involved the media and its influence. Look into how the media (i.e. films, television, news programs, and even video games). It's a topic you have a lot of options within.

              But if you're really interested in the topics you first thought of, I think 'repeat offenders' is a good one, plenty of info out there on recidivism rates and all that fun stuff.

              good luck

              Comment


              • #8
                I am in sociology this semester. Big bottle of asprin, that's funny. Got to love all of the terminology.
                good luck
                "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
                -Achille Marozzo, 1536

                Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bluntforcetraum
                  I am in sociology this semester. Big bottle of asprin, that's funny. Got to love all of the terminology.
                  good luck
                  Terminology???

                  Hmm, I think it's time for me to open up my textbook and start reading it.

                  It can't be as bad as Native Studies terminology. Spelling even counted.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ewwwww... I took a sociology of crime course and dropped it halfway through. I HATED IT!! haha Crime is a social construct blah blah blah... Crime is created by the governments and the police, and laws are created by special interest groups like mothers against drunk drivers.

                    Why not write a paper on the Canadian government, judges, and university professors like SFU's Neil Boyd don't want to see offenders sentenced harshly. Why you ask, because of the all mightly dollar. They spoon fed the public in to believing that alternative justice and conditional sentences save money and are more effective.

                    Think about it for a second. If there wasn't 1200 homeless and 10000 drugs addicts in the Vancouver Lower Mainland area committing thousands of property crimes per day what would happen to the economy. Think about the impact of one junkie that might break into 10 cars in one day. That's 10 calls to the insurance company, how many adjusters, 10 new windows, window installers, drivers truck the windows over, glass makers/producers, and that's just the windows. That's just the windows, now imagine commercial & residential B&E's and all the stuff that is stolen daily! Crime is huge business.

                    Ok... I knew I shouldn't have taken off my tin foil hat..
                    Last edited by cst.sb; 09-26-2005, 01:53 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have a B.A. in Social Science with my fields of study in Psychology and Sociology.

                      I wrote quite a few essays and 15 page papers...let me know what you need help with. It would be my pleasure to assist , as I enjoy doing that research thing or helping people with it. A note...I couldnt stand all those freaking liberal teachers I had, but I dealt with it and got the degree.

                      My first word of advice would be....
                      If a topic has many resources; it does not matter, you only need a few. you will have to pick and choose as part of your research. In the field of Sociology, there are many theories, and you could get 100 plus resources on one topic with only a handful agreeing with one another. The sources you use all have to have the same view, unless you plan to compare. Doing so will make writing the paper much more difficult.

                      I did my senior level Criminology paper on Serial Killers. My prof smiled at me when I told him what I wanted to do at the beginning of the semester and told me to go to the library and use Serial Killers as a key words to find resources. I dont know how many pages I had of resources. When I told him, he suggested I narrow my topic down by using a Theory we had studied and apply it to the crime and analyze it. I used the Social Theory and reviewed a handful of cases and applied the theory ...The research took longer than the actual writing of the paper. I was able to conclude that not all killers are made..some are just born that way. I wish I still had the paper, but I tossed because I made a B and was disappointed. I did make an A in the class, though. So that made up for the crummy B.

                      PM me with questions, if you wish.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by medic_9
                        Hello all,

                        I am trying to pick a topic for a Sociology essay that I have to write. I'm looking for suggestions for a topic or a refinement of one of mine. I would like it to be based on crime or an aspect of crime

                        Some that I have thought of:
                        Who commits crime
                        Repeat offenders
                        Sentencing
                        Homelessness and crime
                        Mental illness and crime

                        Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have to base my essay from information recieved from articles in journals (that are specifically sociology related).
                        Why not the victim's relatives affected by Crime,How their lives have been altered cause of the crimminal act commented by the suspect?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks everyone. I looked into Media and Crime a bit more and I might be changing..

                          More towards the image of crime as influenced by the media.

                          I am calling my professor today to talk about it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bluntforcetraum
                            I am in sociology this semester. Big bottle of asprin, that's funny. Got to love all of the terminology.
                            good luck
                            UGH the terminology is KILLING me! Such long words like "ethnomethodological"...
                            Which really if you break it down piece by piece can be understood but you first learn it and its like UGH.
                            I'm a sophmore, taking it for this semester. Unfortunately, no one told me when I signed up for it that its a class meant for seniors and builds off of frosh, soph, junior, and senior social studies... so I'm working my butt off just to keep up.
                            Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by letshearit4blue
                              UGH the terminology is KILLING me! Such long words like "ethnomethodological"...
                              Which really if you break it down piece by piece can be understood but you first learn it and its like UGH.
                              I'm a sophmore, taking it for this semester. Unfortunately, no one told me when I signed up for it that its a class meant for seniors and builds off of frosh, soph, junior, and senior social studies... so I'm working my butt off just to keep up.
                              ethnomethodological - sounds like some of the words in my Anthropology class.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4898 users online. 292 members and 4606 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X