Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the scariest New stories I've read so far...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the scariest New stories I've read so far...

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Inve...1130392&page=1

Why is there only one place manufacturing this Tamaflu stuff? Bush should order all the RX companies to start churning the stuff out. How could other countries be more prepared than us if we were warned?

If accurate, this issue is about a million times more important to Americans than anything we're doing in Iraq.

What do you think???
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

if our government can not effectivly handle the katrina disaster how do you expect the government to protect the poulation from that virus

Comment

Good point but clearly more could have been done.
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

They also seemed to suggest that a nuclear detonation is a lot less unlikely than the concensus on here the last time I argued that point. I'm stuck in NYC as long as my dad's around, but that's exactly why we're lookin' to get out once he's not. Where you been lately Brick?
        No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Bombs, guns, knives... they don't scare me too much. This looks terrifying though.

Comment

OK...a few thing to look at here:

1) the media tends to mix facts and use sensationalism to work people up into a frenzy (which they have successfully done.)

2) The FDA controls the approval and release of meds/vaccines in the U.S. - not the president. In the article you referenced about the Avian Flu, they mention the vaccine they currently have is only "experimental" ~ meaning not yet approved for use in humans and not proven to work either. Other countries have far more lax rules when it come to the approval of new drugs/vaccines on the market. Before cursing the FDA...remember that when meds/vaccines get pushed through FDA approvals too fast, problems arise (just look at Prozac for an example of this.) You're not depressed anymore ~ instead you're suicidal/homicidal !!!

Oh and the reason other RX companies can't "churn it out" is because of patent laws that protect the developer of the vaccine. If you manufacture a product that works and want to make a fortune off of it's sale ~ you aren't going to turn that "recipe" over to a competitor !!!

3) The virus has only been seen in a handful of cases in Asian countries, not in the U.S. There is another strain of this flu that has been seen here in the U.S. dating back to 2003, but it didn't result in any deaths. The "deadly" strain they are talking about is not yet transmittable from human-to-human. The only infected people they've seen got the disease from an animal. They are just concerned with the possibility of viral mutation - but it hasn't happened yet (according to the CDC.)

The potential of a new virus spreading through the population and becoming lethal is always a constant concern. Thanks to over-vaccinations and over-prescription of antibiotics in the U.S., we've made ourselves vunerable targets to such outbreaks. The reason ~ our immunitity these days are "artifically" acquired instead of naturally acquired. Because of this, virus and bacteria born illnesses are mutating at an alarming rate. Our bodies no longer know how to fight off illnesses because the immune system has been dorment. Natural immunity is 10 times better and longer lasting than artifical immunity.

In other words ~ you'll never see me lining up to get a Flu shot !!!

Originally posted by BrickCop
            http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Inve...1130392&page=1

Why is there only one place manufacturing this Tamaflu stuff? Bush should order all the RX companies to start churning the stuff out. How could other countries be more prepared than us if we were warned?

If accurate, this issue is about a million times more important to Americans than anything we're doing in Iraq.

What do you think???
            Last edited by Tender Lumpling; 09-18-2005, 12:42 AM.
            [FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo]Oh listen tender lumplings let me take you by the hands...I

Comment

Damn, my brother was talking about that today. Scared the heck out of the wife.
              Last edited by cst.sb; 09-18-2005, 02:52 AM.

Comment

If I was a drug company I certainly would incite the media as to the dangers of disease x and my cure. It would boost sales expotentially. Not that any company would do such a thing.

I think once this mutates to a human virus the scenario of mass illness could occur. I guess it will be time to go into hiding.
                Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

Tell her that she has no need for concern at this point. There have been NO documented cases of person-to-person transmission. When they find an animal-to-person transmission, the animals are destroyed and their areas sterilized.

The media is just trying to generate headlines....

Originally posted by cst.sb
                  Damn, my brother was talking about that today. Scared the heck out of the wife.
                  [FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo]Oh listen tender lumplings let me take you by the hands...I

Comment

Pharmaceutical companies aren't allowed to generate panic in order to market a vaccine or medicine. If that were the case ~ they'd all be screaming that the sky is falling and we'd all be in hiding !!!

Also, the manufacturer of the vaccine has not had it approved by the FDA. If it's not FDA approved, it can't be sold. The manufacturer hasn't proven that the vaccine even works or that it doesn't cause side effects (like contracting the disease FROM the vaccine.) Besides, the current "experimantal" vaccine was developed for the strain of Avian Flu that is being transmitted from animal-to-human. Once it mutates and becomes a human-to-human transmitted virus...all bets are off...the vaccine may no longer be effective.

Originally posted by Lucky Seven
                    If I was a drug company I certainly would incite the media as to the dangers of disease x and my cure. It would boost sales expotentially. Not that any company would do such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tender Lumpling
                      The potential of a new virus spreading through the population and becoming lethal is always a constant concern. Thanks to over-vaccinations and over-prescription of antibiotics in the U.S., we've made ourselves vunerable targets to such outbreaks. The reason ~ our immunitity these days are "artifically" acquired instead of naturally acquired. Because of this, virus and bacteria born illnesses are mutating at an alarming rate. Our bodies no longer know how to fight off illnesses because the immune system has been dorment. Natural immunity is 10 times better and longer lasting than artifical immunity.

In other words ~ you'll never see me lining up to get a Flu shot !!!

The flu shot as well as any other vaccine does not give you the antibodies to fight off whatever the vaccine is made for. The vaccine is the debilitated or dead version of the virus. This allows your body to make the antibodies to fight off the virus. This is why you sometimes feel a little off after a vaccine or flu shot. You are still going through the fighting off process but it's no where near as extreme as a "real" virus.

So my point being - Getting a vaccine is acquired immunity (see definition below), but not in the way of TL's description.

Acquired immunity - Immunity obtained either from the development of antibodies in response to exposure to an antigen, as from vaccination or an attack of an infectious disease, or from the transmission of antibodies, as from mother to fetus through the placenta or the injection of antiserum.

Please get the flu shot it can help even just strengthening your immunity. I also recommend keeping on top of your tetanus shots and even the meningococcal shot if you are older.

Comment

im not an antigovernment type of person but it seem since bush has been in office it has been one threat after another. constantly something for everyone to run and hide from.

Comment

according to the WHO 63 people have died from this strain of flu since first discovered in china in 2003

Comment

63 people dying of Avian Flu since 2003 seems a very small number to me when compared to stats on West Nile virus, which killed over 284 people in 39 states, 774 deaths from the SARS virus and 145 deaths from Mad Cow disease just in 2003 alone.

The problem with death stats for Avian flu is that there are several strains of it out there. The deaths occuring from the H5N1 strain have only been seen in asian countries and in small numbers. To my knowledge (and correct me if I'm wrong) we've had no deaths in the U.S. from this Avian Flu strain to date.

Of course this virus mutating and becoming a pandemic is always possible - but it hasn't occured quite yet.

Originally posted by MP_HANDLER
                            according to the WHO 63 people have died from this strain of flu since first discovered in china in 2003

Comment

I agree with Medic9, the flu shot CAN boost your immunity to fight viral infections, but so can taking natural herbs, Vitamin C and zinc and using proper hygiene (always washing your hands, etc.)

I worked in a doctor's office treating patients in an enclosed environment. Many times I'd have sick patients coming in during a contagious stage of infection. I have not come down with the flu in the last 2 years while a few of my fellow co-workers (who got flu shots) still came down with some strain of the flu...one of them got sick twice in the same year. Some of my daycare teacher patients take "Airborne" to ward off illness and have found it far more successful than getting a flu shot.

Just know that if you can't get a flu shot, there are other more natural ways to boost your immunity and keep healthy this winter.

Originally posted by medic_9
                              Please get the flu shot it can help even just strengthening your immunity.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4509 users online. 298 members and 4211 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X