300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second thoughts on buying a motorcycle

Did anybody see this Saturday's COPS episode, where the guy on a big cruiser-style bike tried to run after being pulled over? He made it about a mile before smashing into a pickup truck that was pulling out, at about 100 MPH per the officer. The biker was not breathing when first checked but EMS revived him and flew him to the hospital. He hit the truck so hard it broke the bead of the truck's tire and deflated it, plus a bunch of other damage.

I'm not a biker yet but I was hoping to buy a 600cc-or-so cruiser and ride it to save gas. I am absolutely not going to ride recklessly like this guy was (I'm too old and too wise for that crap), but still it was pretty sobering to see his cracked helmet and lifeless body on the pavement. Even when riding safely and wearing all the protective gear, a careless driver could end my life by pulling out in front of me. That is making me think maybe a bike isn't such a good idea. Anyone else been through that thought process and decided to get a bike anyways, or is riding a motorcycle just asking for a visit from the Grim Reaper?

AvgJoe
    Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

He was pretty tore up. Luckily he had a helmet on or his head would have been splattered also.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

It's very much a possiblity. My brother was cut-off on our street by an SUV while he was driving my dad's bike. My dad's bike was a write-off, but my brother was for the most part okay. I think he just hurt his wrist and got bruised up pretty bad. He's back riding again though. I hate driving anywhere near motorcycles. Some drive recklessly and some don't. But anything can happen and the biker can wipe out. I'd hate to run him over.

Comment

That moron on "COPs" was lucky that helmet worked as well as it did-most of the half-helmets that look like turtle shells aren't aprroved for riding.

Know what you mean about second thoughts-I worried about my ex riding
        when we got a bike a few years ago-I had never ridden and thought about all the dangers.
        Once I got on the back, I never wanted to get off-he is an excellent driver and even though we had a close call or two, I never felt like I would never ride again.

When you get one, put your trust in the Man upstairs and just try to enjoy the ride. You know accidents can happen anywhere. Wear your gear and be as safe as you can be.

For me the feeling of riding outweighed the risks-if you've never ridden a motorcycle, there is no feeling like it in the world.

Good luck in your riding and keep the shiny side up!

Comment

I've been riding for going on 8 years now, I was trained in England where we spend 3 days riding 500cc machines in a real world environment, none of this pratting about in car parks rubbish that qualifies as training in the US. For the last 3 years before I moved to Los Angeles I was riding into and out of central London on a daily basis, now there is a challenge

People *will* pull out in front of you, you have to accept that on a motorcycle you are all but invisible, even when people see you it doesn't register because they're scanning for threats to themselves, they don't care about you because you won't kill them if you hit them, it's basic survival instinct.

You have to be aware of everything around you and be mindful of the fact that no-one can see you, you tend to develop a sense of the dangerous drivers as soon as you spot them, you can identify which cars are going to do something stupid within seconds, it's pretty wierd.

Your fate is in your hands, not anyone else's, collisions happen when *two* people make a mistake.
          Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Dithyrambe Sur La Fête Des Rois -- Denis Diderot (1713 - 1784)

Comment

You may consider consulting with Soleil_Nuage on this matter before purchasing to see what her vibes are saying

Comment

From what I've read a majority of motorcycle fatalities occur on cruiser style bikes...
              si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by 00svtlightning
                From what I've read a majority of motorcycle fatalities occur on cruiser style bikes...

Really? I always thought that they involve crotch rockets because of their speed and the way the drivers drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by lt93lover
                  That moron on "COPs" was lucky that helmet worked as well as it did-most of the half-helmets that look like turtle shells aren't aprroved for riding.

Know what you mean about second thoughts-I worried about my ex riding
                  when we got a bike a few years ago-I had never ridden and thought about all the dangers.
                  Once I got on the back, I never wanted to get off-he is an excellent driver and even though we had a close call or two, I never felt like I would never ride again.

When you get one, put your trust in the Man upstairs and just try to enjoy the ride. You know accidents can happen anywhere. Wear your gear and be as safe as you can be.

For me the feeling of riding outweighed the risks-if you've never ridden a motorcycle, there is no feeling like it in the world.

Good luck in your riding and keep the shiny side up!
                  my mom felt the same way,,,,,,, untillllllllllllllllllllllll, dad got tvi'd and she spent three months in the hospital.
                  *side note- i still want another one*

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
                    Really? I always thought that they involve crotch rockets because of their speed and the way the drivers drive them.
                    Rocket riders tend to wear more protective gear,,,full face helmet, crash leather (uppers and lowers),,, cruisers tend to wear t shirts without sleeves and a doo rag.

Comment

Sportsbikes can get you into and out of trouble relatively quickly, cruisers on the other hand generally have terrible handling and dreadful brakes, once you make a mistake on a cruiser, the chances are you're going to have to ride it out.

Originally posted by gotthblues
                      Rocket riders tend to wear more protective gear,,,full face helmet, crash leather (uppers and lowers),,, cruisers tend to wear t shirts without sleeves and a doo rag.
                      I sure as hell ride in full leathers (I spent $1500 or so on protective gear when I bought the bike), but in LA most of the sportsbike riders I see are wearing shorts, t-shirts and even flip flops.

You're right about cruiser riders wearing almost no protective clothing in general though.

I'd rather sweat than bleed.
                      Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolmen
                        I sure as hell ride in full leathers (I spent $1500 or so on protective gear when I bought the bike), but in LA most of the sportsbike riders I see are wearing shorts, t-shirts and even flip flops.
                        I'd rather sweat than bleed.
                        same here, flip flops and a shirt if their lucky,
                        my dad is about the only cruiser ive seen wear gear,, he a a goldwing and wore a honda crash jacket, pants, and knee high leather work boats.. save his *** about 3 months back.
                        what gets me is the area i came from in the last two yrs lost three officers to mc crashes, not one was wearing a helmet,,,and yes, all were on cruisers.

Comment

Sportbikes can out handle and out stop any cruiser on the road. I see many many harleys try to lane split on the interstate, and there is always and accident every year where some dipstick tries to do that and winds up laying his/her bike down. Also, I see alot of those cruisers getting ridden like they are sportbikes. I've also never seen a sportbike laid down here. But there are retards in both groups...I've found its best to save that riding for the track alot safer.
                          si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by 00svtlightning
                            Sportbikes can out handle and out stop any cruiser on the road. I see many many harleys try to lane split on the interstate, and there is always and accident every year where some dipstick tries to do that and winds up laying his/her bike down. Also, I see alot of those cruisers getting ridden like they are sportbikes. I've also never seen a sportbike laid down here. But there are retards in both groups...I've found its best to save that riding for the track alot safer.

See, here crotch rockets are driven by young people who don't drive in the safest manner and are big on speeding and popping wheelies on the road. In the last two summers just in my daily driving alone I have seen three motorcycle accidents all of which were involving crotch rockets. I've heard of more on the news.

Comment

Any questions ?
                              Last edited by Dolmen; 09-08-2005, 08:48 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4256 users online. 261 members and 3995 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X