X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styx
    replied
    Originally posted by Ninjagirl
    I visited one time, off season, in the middle of winter..it stunk like vomit so back I said I would never go back. I cant imagine what it smelled like in the summer (or now...)
    Where were you ...I have never been to an area in New O that smells like vomit and I visit at least 2-3 times a year.

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    Originally posted by Praetorian
    Exactly! And those levees are the reason 1/3 of our wetlands are gone, which acted as a hurricane buffer.

Every city has bad people. Just because there are some showing their stripes now doesn't mean we all are. Don't write off my city as a cest pool, scum filled or whatever else you said. While you sit in your air conditioned house, with your power, and your ability to take showers without paying 100$ a night, remember that it isn't just some city. It is a part of us. It is our home. It is our cultural refuge. Countless hours spent in Jackson Square, eating the best seafood at Dennies (which is now underwater). You don't know us. And we will rebuild, and we will live on, and I am so freaking sorry your wallet has to suffer.
    tThank you, my dear. you took the words right out of my mouth. I deleted what I originally wrote because the cesspool comment really got me upset.

I am not even a Louisiana resident, but have family in the Northshore and New Orleans is my second home. It amazes me how people who have never even been there can be so quick to make suggestions on how to rid the world of he "filthy fishbowl" that they think New Orleans is.
    I have yet to see one new report review the beauty of the city that was slammed by Katrina. I dont know if I will ever be able to go to the zoo or aquarium over there...2 of my favorite places to be in New Orleans. Is Mothers still around so I can eat a debris Po-boy after shopping at the mall. Will I ever gamble at Harrah's again? Will I ever hear my daughter scream "throw me something mistah" at the family Mardi Gras parades uptown?
    I dont know and I have cried a lot since Katrina hit...remembering all the wonderful times I had in the city some people think should be wiped off the face of the earth.

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    You are quite the man E-man. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    Originally posted by Medea
    Whatever happened to Homestead Florida after Hurricane Andrew in 1992,has it been rebuilt,I saw recently where areas of Homestead is abandoned,What became of the Federal Help there anyone Know
    i think that was more to do with problems with insurance companies, rather than the fed gov.

Leave a comment:

• Medea
    replied
    Whatever happened to Homestead Florida after Hurricane Andrew in 1992,has it been rebuilt,I saw recently where areas of Homestead is abandoned,What became of the Federal Help there anyone Know

Leave a comment:

• Chopshopcop
    replied
    For those that wonder who would build below sea level to start with, those that want to rebuild NOLA on higher ground, raze the city entirely, save only the French Quarter and all the rest of the suggestions, let's look at this critically and not emotionally.

First, NOLA was founded in 1718 by the French, they were the ones to build below sea level. Actually I'm guessing that it was probably below sea level 200 + years ago as well, it's pretty well documented that urban expansion into wetlands and short-sighted policies by the Govt. over 200 years contributed to the problem. NOLA was built to serve as the primary distribution hub for the nation since the MS river empties right into the ocean. River and oceanic traffic then was the only economical way of transporting goods over long distances.

There is not much higher ground in or around NOLA, the average height above sea level is 15 ft., by contrast Baton Rouge is about 53 ft. The French Quarter is one of the highest points in NOLA, which is why you see much less damage there.

The biggest drawback to rebuilding elsewhere is lack of available higher, drier, ground. Even if this problem were solved, what about the rights of the people? Land ownership in NOLA for some families goes back to 1718 obviously. Who's going to buy the land? Even though it's flooded and currently unusable, it's still legally owned. Landowners must be fairly compensated for their loss whether it's taken by the govt., paid by an insurance agency, or bought by a private person.

What about eminent domain, you say? Sure, the USSC just made it easier for govt.'s take a person's land, but they must still be compensated. Who's going to pay? A third-party developer? Not likely, he just wants the profits. He won't spend money to buy the land without the assistance of the city or state, because otherwise he can't turn a profit. Think he's gonna buy land known to be devastated and absolutely prone to flooding without the state acting as his backstop?

The city? There is no city, that's the problem. The state? Again, unlikely, all of their resources are just about expended now. The feds? According to even the revised laws on eminent domain, there must be a public need, something that will benefit the public at large, even if it benefits private developers as well. How is any govt., local, state or federal going to compensate every individual landowner in NOLA and the surrounding areas that were affected, still provide everyday services to the remainder of the people and provide disaster relief to those that need it? All that in addition to contributing to the rebuilding efforts wherever that may be.

And who are we to say that NOLA should or shouldn't be rebuilt, or that it should be moved? Or to say that only certain parts of it should be saved? How many other American cities would we as a nation be willing to write off? I daresay that most of us have no stake in the matter, we are not landowners there. Who are we to say that fellow Americans should be permanently uprooted from their homes and forced to relocate? Who are we to say that they don't enjoy the the same right of free choice as the rest of us, the right to choose where they will live?
    (Before you say it, yes, people are being uprooted and forced to relocate but the intent is not permanent. They will eventually be allowed to return, if they wish).

If you live there, own land there, you have a right to make those decisions for yourself. No one, including any govt., should have the right to make those choices for another American. New Orleans is basically right back where they started at in 1718. Built on swampy ground, susceptible to storms and floods, without proper sewage and sanitation facilities, no fresh water supply or electricity. They survived for over 200 years and developed these things, they will again. They need our help for awhile, that's all. If the people of New Orleans choose to relocate their city, raze it to the ground and abandon it, or save only parts of it, so be it. That's a decision best left to the ones that lived there.

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    My house is fine. We (my parents) live in Slidell, which is north of New Orleans. My cousin's house in Metarie is fine, except for some water and his shed got blown away. My aunt's house is completely under water.
    I know there are a lot of ******bags acting like idiots in New Orleans, but everywhere I go people are blaming the people, etc... It is just frustrating...this our home and people saying don't rebuild it is annoying to say the least.
    I have lived in a lot of places; England, Oklahoma, Saudi Arabia...but Louisiana, specifically New Orleans has always felt like home. That is where my family is. The only reason we live in Slidell is because they have the #1 school district in Louisiana.
    since i was the one who started this post, i will resond to this,
    i never said N.O. shouldnt be rebuilt,,, my question was is it a good idea to start from scratch exactly were it is right now,,or move it inland, to me, and this is just my non construction educated mind, it would make more sense to move the city inland, you have to start from scratch no matter what, and if y ou build it were it is now, then it would probly cost a whole lot more $ to do so, cause you would also have to rebuild the leeves and also make them higher,, if they leave it were it stands, it seems to me like a loosing battle, thats all i was getting at.

Leave a comment:

• The Colonel(44)
    replied
    My house is fine. We (my parents) live in Slidell, which is north of New Orleans. My cousin's house in Metarie is fine, except for some water and his shed got blown away. My aunt's house is completely under water.
    I know there are a lot of ******bags acting like idiots in New Orleans, but everywhere I go people are blaming the people, etc... It is just frustrating...this our home and people saying don't rebuild it is annoying to say the least.
    I have lived in a lot of places; England, Oklahoma, Saudi Arabia...but Louisiana, specifically New Orleans has always felt like home. That is where my family is. The only reason we live in Slidell is because they have the #1 school district in Louisiana.
    What is your own personal opinion,on how to rebuild NO so as not to suffer like this again,How can we learn from this mess as not to see any other American citizens suffer like NO Did

Leave a comment:

• Praetorian
    replied
    Originally posted by The Colonel(44)
    Is your House totally under water like the rest NO,I heard a rumor that 50,000 NG troops are now on their way to the 3 devastated states.You are correct we are not where you are,but we have to get our news from the TV reporters,who at times are not always accurate in reporting the situation.The LT Colonel was correcting a reporter about using the term snipper,saying it was a dispute after enduring 8 days of chaos and one pulled a gun and started shooting,also these are fellow Americans not Refugees

Leave a comment:

• The Colonel(44)
    replied
    ...Sorry if I was a little short in that last post. It has been an emotional week.

Pictures

I am sorry that my finger is in some of the shots. I was trying so hard to keep my hair out of the shots, I wasn't paying attention to finger.

All shots of my house are in the "My House" sub-album!
    Is your House totally under water like the rest NO,I heard a rumor that 50,000 NG troops are now on their way to the 3 devastated states.You are correct we are not where you are,but we have to get our news from the TV reporters,who at times are not always accurate in reporting the situation.The LT Colonel was correcting a reporter about using the term snipper,saying it was a dispute after enduring 8 days of chaos and one pulled a gun and started shooting,also these are fellow Americans not Refugees

Leave a comment:

• Praetorian
    replied
    ...Sorry if I was a little short in that last post. It has been an emotional week.

Pictures

I am sorry that my finger is in some of the shots. I was trying so hard to keep my hair out of the shots, I wasn't paying attention to finger.

All shots of my house are in the "My House" sub-album!

Leave a comment:

• Buttercup
    replied
    Exactly! And those levees are the reason 1/3 of our wetlands are gone, which acted as a hurricane buffer.

Every city has bad people. Just because there are some showing their stripes now doesn't mean we all are. Don't write off my city as a cest pool, scum filled or whatever else you said. While you sit in your air conditioned house, with your power, and your ability to take showers without paying 100$ a night, remember that it isn't just some city. It is a part of us. It is our home. It is our cultural refuge. Countless hours spent in Jackson Square, eating the best seafood at Dennies (which is now underwater). You don't know us. And we will rebuild, and we will live on, and I am so freaking sorry your wallet has to suffer.

I agree with you, Praetorian, every city has bad people. Unfortunately, the media deems them the most newsworthy and it's a shame that those individuals are seen as representatives of an entire city. I am horribly saddened by what has happened to your city and its people. I have been to New Orleans many times, and each time I've loved it more - the music, the history, the architecture, the food - it has such a rich cultural heritage....it's like no other city. And once the city has recovered, I will visit again. I hope that you and your family are safe.

What is also unfortunate is the point that's been posted, which is that those people who have been evacuated to other cities will place an additional financial strain on cities like Detroit and Pittsburgh that are already overburdened and unable to support those already living there. We truly need to curtail financial assistance to other countries and allow our assets to benefit our own people. Enough is enough.

Leave a comment:

• Praetorian
    replied
    Originally posted by letshearit4blue
    The city wasn't always below sea level, you can blame the government for daming up the Mississippi in the first place for that.

Leave a comment:

• Ninjagirl
    replied
    Originally posted by gotthblues
    but is it worth rebuilding, they can make the whole area a port. from what ive seen and heard the general opinion of NO even before the storm, is that its a sess pool, dirty, foul, ridden with crime, and so on. there are towns in wyoming that produce most of our oil and they only have popul. of around 200 and only two or three gas stations.
    I visited one time, off season, in the middle of winter..it stunk like vomit so back I said I would never go back. I cant imagine what it smelled like in the summer (or now...)

Leave a comment:

• e-man
    replied
    I hear ya on the stockpile the food now. Like I posted I heard that about 50% of the train rails go through some of the devastated area so that means jsut about everything will jump in price. I and probablyu most of us wouldnt mind kicking in alittle bit extra for gas,coffee,food etc BUT how can we be assured that the extra scratch is going to where it really needs to? I mean like the gas price jumps over night. The gas we are paying 20-30 even 40 cents more per gall. is still the same gas that been in the tank for a week. Unless they are realy really busy station. I feel sorry {kinda, not really} for the upper crust, Bimmers, Audis, Fancy schmancy rides that require super 93. well I guess if your paying 40,-50Gs for a ride than gas is an after thought or no thought at all.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3422 users online. 221 members and 3201 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X