300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotties

Let's start a thread about Rotties. My favorite kind of dog. I happen to have one. They seem over intellegent

That's because you haven't had a German Shepherd to compare against

Comment

I dunno... The last rottwieler I met was very athletic... Made me run for my life!
      That's an experience you'll never forget, being 11 and fleeing from a giant dog trying to eat you. I had Post-traumatic stress after that, lol.
      Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
        I dunno... The last rottwieler I met was very athletic... Made me run for my life!
        That's an experience you'll never forget, being 11 and fleeing from a giant dog trying to eat you. I had Post-traumatic stress after that, lol.
        God bless Addy

Comment

Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER
          God bless Addy
          I thought Rotties were "over-intelligent", if so, why does she chew on people's toes?
          Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

I thought Rotties were "over-intelligent", if so, why does she chew on people's toes?
            where do u get this from?

Comment

Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER
              where do u get this from?
              I spend my free time stalking puppies.

Comment

Mine doesn't chew on toes, but she does lick them. Strange. It must be a rottie thing.

Mine's actually pretty smart. She some how managed to learn to run into her kennel and close the door every time she wanted a treat. It got to the point that she would do that over and over again so one day I got tired of getting up and having to give her a treat and I took the door off. (It's back on now.)

My dog also has a thing for beer. If you have a beer bottle she'll bundt at your arm until you give it to her. She also has an amazing ability to get the limes out of Corona bottles.

She also won't eat fat-free cheese slices even though she loves cheese. She'll grind them into the carpet with her head and bark at it.

Comment

Rotties

LAPD had a few along time ago & gave them up due to high maintenence, cost & lack of endurance. A local agency here also used them years ago but gave them up when 1 of them stroked out after being deployed. That agency now uses malinois. Here in Phx. we use mostly German Shepherds but we do have 1 or 2 malinois out of about 12 dogs. I trained & competed with dogs mostly in the 80's and some of the 90's. My view on working dogs? I'd rather have 1 of them than aperson for a partner, malinois are good IF you have an experienced handler AND trainer. Rotties are good if you're working in a confined area (like a jail) as many ,not all, lack endurance for long deployment and German Shepherds are the best due to their size,adaptabilty,personality and guidability. Someone once told me & I think it's true-- " a German Shepherd is the best at nothing, but 2nd best at EVERYTHING" and that's what's needed in LE--versatilty

Comment

Awwww, I love Rotties! I've got a pound-puppy/Rottie mix and he is just the absolute best dog ever. I moved out on my own about a year ago and it was the first time I'd ever been w/o out a dog (dogs stayed with my parents) so after a month of settling in, I set out to find (or be found by) the perfect dog...

I have parrots who play freely in their room, so I needed a dog that I could trust around my parrots. I spent days at the Humane Society, getting to know all the dogs. I had a fear of Rotties, due to their "bad reputation" . But, there was a Rottie mix who just stole my heart, and against my fiance's wishes/threats (that the dog would be vicious, unpredictable, etc) Storm found himself a new home.

It took a few months to train him well enough for him to be trusted around my parrots. Now, I trust him completely, just 10 short months after bringing him home. He's the most loyal and loving dog I've ever known. He's a 90 lb BABY who would protect me with everything he has. His breed is assumed to be Shepard/Rottie, but he has very dominant Rott traits. In the future (when I have a larger house!), I'd love to adopt a full blood Rott from a rescue, as there are a lot of Rott rescues.

The best thing, is that Storm left my fiance standing dead wrong, in thinking Rott's make horrilbe/vicious/unpredictable pets. My fiance is the type to take a stereotype and run with it (at least when it comes to dogs and such). He's fallen in love with Storm almost as much as I have and he has a whole new perception of Rotties now. I wish other people with bad perceptions of Rotts (and other "vicious" dogs) would spend quality time with one and truly see what a magnificent animal they can be, if taken care of and loved properly (I'm a firm believer that Nuture out weighs Nature, however. Others, such as my fiance believe that a dog is bred/born vicious and no amount of love/care can change that fact).

Sorry for long post! I could talk all day about my FeatherStormed house

A few pics of Storm as pup, 7 mos

And a few pics of my parrots, if interested

Letshearit4blue, I love the song that you used as part of your quote! It's a song that makes me stop everything I'm doing and sing along--"Sing it if you understand...." Have you purchased the CD? Are you satisfied with it? I've heard more bad reviews than good--many saying that none of the songs compared to her "Breathe" release and many were highly disappointed.

Comment

Great family dogs and very loyal but it is correct that they are not the best for patrol work. Endurance is less then a lighter weight dog but if a male rott gets ahold of a criminal he woun't shakehim off like you see them do the lighter dogs.
                      Great protector of family and very approchable dog
                      Figures Lt Explorer would have a Rott kinds goes with police gear, light bars and his ride a longs etc.

Comment

i hate them... sorry but i CANNOT for the life of me even look at them and possibly think they are cute... thank god we are banning them in toronto.. them and bulldogs

Comment

Originally posted by FeatherStorm5

Letshearit4blue, I love the song that you used as part of your quote! It's a song that makes me stop everything I'm doing and sing along--"Sing it if you understand...." Have you purchased the CD? Are you satisfied with it? I've heard more bad reviews than good--many saying that none of the songs compared to her "Breathe" release and many were highly disappointed.
                          I love that song too :-)
                          Especially because I have a friend who does stuff like in the first verse of the song (2 AM).
                          I didn't buy her CD, I bought the CD "Now #19" (its a mix of the top 20 hits of the year) at Wal-Mart for like $14. It's a pretty decent mix actually.
                          Sorry for the hijack, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by MAD_MAX333
                            i hate them... sorry but i CANNOT for the life of me even look at them and possibly think they are cute... thank god we are banning them in toronto.. them and bulldogs
                            I thought it was just pit bulls that were being banned in Ontario?

Comment

Originally posted by MAD_MAX333
                              Is there anything thats not banned in Canada?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4870 users online. 294 members and 4576 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X