300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Americans are?

I have met many Americans in my country and we have an opinion about them as a nation. But I never heard anything what Americans think about themselves. Here, in Moscow I recognize Americans in a mile. Why? They look all the same: smiling, happy, some of them overweight, well dressed, expensive cameras, in baseball hats, proud and independent. When I speak to them they often tell me off: "Smile! Why don't you smile to us?" Smile is a matter of politeness. I agree but Russians don't smile, only when they are really feel happy. If I'd smile like Americans do I would be totaly exhausted. I believe Americans in USA eat always pizza, hamburgers, dring coke and always seem happy. Am I right? Than tell me. I wish to know all positive and negative sides.

Lol, that's a great post.

I think we're just like anyone else in a developed country, just a lot more spolied. Most people here have the attitude that -I- come first and screw everyone else. And you can't forget the - NOW, NOW, NOW mentality.

We have it REALLY, REALLY good here. Friends from out of the country have said how they want to move here as the quality of life is so much better than theirs. I can't complain about it either. We do really have so much.

Comment

Only fairly wealthy americans travel to Russia or Europe

Not many middle class and poor americans travel to europe.

You really haven't seen your typical american until you come to the U.S.

Comment

I must agree with cleetus on this one. We sometimes can be very selfish and we take a lot for granted. We almost always have are needs met and usually get our wants met too. We have it great here.

I think just about every American loves this country although we always have something to complain about. We love our country and our government but we always want to change it. It is encouraged to express your opinion here which sparks heated debates. But that is ok. That's party what makes this country so great.

USAcop is also correct. I have never been outside of the United States or Canada. I simply can't afford it. People who travel to Russia are generally wealthy people. I'd have a big smile on my face too.

It's hard to pinpoint what your "typical" American is like. We are an EXTREAMLY diverse country with people from all countries, cultures, and backgrounds. We are Europeans, Asians, Africans, South Americans, Middle Easterners, and yes, even Russians. We are from everywhere. We are rich, poor, crooks, saints, racists, activists, religious, athiests, good, bad, old, young, black, white, men, woman, attractive, and ugly. People from the East act different from the West and people from the North act different from those in the South. People act different depending on what their job field is as well.

The point that I am trying to make is that there really is no typical American. We are all so different in every way and it is encouraged by the government and the people to be this way. Be free! Be who you want!

God Bless the U.S.
        It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Leka,

What you are seeing is a state of mind that has been part of our culture for over 200 years. Published in 1776, our Declaration of Independence stated the nation's belief that every person is entitled to pursue life, liberty, and happiness. To the best of my knowledge, we are the only nation on the earth formed for just that purpose.

What you are seeing is an attitude that says we live, not to serve the state or be part of the collective, but to be happy in our individuality and to help make others happy as well. Unfortunately, we often forget other cultures are based on different values, interests and needs. As a result, our happy and independent attitude can often be insulting to others.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Leka
            I have met many Americans in my country and we have an opinion about them as a nation. But I never heard anything what Americans think about themselves. Here, in Moscow I recognize Americans in a mile. Why? They look all the same: smiling, happy, some of them overweight, well dressed, expensive cameras, in baseball hats, proud and independent. When I speak to them they often tell me off: "Smile! Why don't you smile to us?" Smile is a matter of politeness. I agree but Russians don't smile, only when they are really feel happy. If I'd smile like Americans do I would be totaly exhausted. I believe Americans in USA eat always pizza, hamburgers, dring coke and always seem happy. Am I right? Than tell me. I wish to know all positive and negative sides.
            Your right. I am usually smiling and happy, sort of overweight. Usually wearing jeans and a shirt. No camera though. I usually have a baseball hat and am very proud of USA and independent.

What do I think of myself? I think I am pretty cool

I have not meant many Russians. But my stereotypical view is an old women with a wrinkled face and big nose.. she is wearing a thick black dress with a gray shaul wrapped around her and a knitted hood. She is walking across a huge Lenningrad Square or something feeding pidgeons while the snow is slowly falling.

Am I close
            Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Originally posted by Soleil_nuage
              We don't know much about other countries: this is a negative American trait that I don't like. I don't know why we don't take the time to learn about other countries.
              This is a HUGE one for me and I'm guilty of it too. I do not know a whole lot about other countries (Russia included). I know very little about the culture and lifestyle in other countries, especially 3rd world contries. I hate the lack of knowlage Americans have in regards to the rest of the world. Sad part is, I'm guilty of it myself.
              It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

I've done limited traveling outside of the U.S. I've been to Mexico a couple of times, Canada a few times, and Paris France once. Now, it's hard for a 6'4" White, Danish guy to fit in in Mexico, but in Paris, I made it a point to be "low key." It was amazing how many people came up to me and asked for directions! I made it a point to try to blend in as much as possible, and just watch the people. Everywhere I've gone, the main fascination for me is the people. I've found decent people everywhere I've gone, and find that if you show interest in them and their culture, you'll get a lot in return.
                Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Leka, all the responses to your question are more than accurate but how they were answered should tell you something about us too. Americans are in a few words: proud,nationalistic, generous, resourseful, honest (sometimes to our fault), optimistic, creative, independant, greedy,supicious,opinionated and rich in more ways than money. We'll help the world yet there is poverty here. We've "bombed people back to the Stone age" yet we'll happily sacrifice ourselves for a stranger's freedom. Tell an American he "can't" do something & we'll move heaven & earth to prove it can be done and support anyone who wants to try. We'll do whatever it takes to attain our goals ( a canadian friend told me that). We don't care what the cost is--freedom is our main concern. Shortly after 9/11 I was helping train Saudi Arabian policemen here. One of them said he didn't understand our lack of religious belief. I explained to him the U.S. pledge of Allegience and told him as strong as his faith is Islam was, we Americans hold freedom just as important. He looked open wide-eyed and open mouthed and said NOW he knew why Americans are the way we are. Leka, you asked a difficult question,but one all Americans are happy to try to answer.I think to fully understand you'd have to be here.maybe someday you will. Keep writing, it keeps me thinking

Comment

I smile sometimes and I'm not American. Ah, who am I kidding, I never smile
                    "Support Our Troops"

Comment

We don't all have 2-4 vehicles, we don't all have 4 bedroom houses with every useless item under the sun in it, and we don't all eat fast food every other night.
                      Actually, I think my family is kinda strange because we don't eat out often, I stay home with my young son and we only have one vehicle (well, two really, but I am trying to sell one)

I think the smiles on american faces in russia is because they are on vacation.

I did pay attention to the fact that the belarussian young man who stayed with us was not too keen on hugs and got embarrassed when I saw his underwear when doing the laundry. Our interpreter said she had such a wonderful experience living here in america for five weeks, because she was not a tourist, but got to live the life for a little bit and see what america is really like. I think that is the only way to understand a country better, make a friend there and live there.
                      stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
                        I've done limited traveling outside of the U.S. I've been to Mexico a couple of times, Canada a few times, and Paris France once. Now, it's hard for a 6'4" White, Danish guy to fit in in Mexico, but in Paris, I made it a point to be "low key." It was amazing how many people came up to me and asked for directions! I made it a point to try to blend in as much as possible, and just watch the people. Everywhere I've gone, the main fascination for me is the people. I've found decent people everywhere I've gone, and find that if you show interest in them and their culture, you'll get a lot in return.

I love mexico! all the people we met there were so generous, even though they some live in houses made of cardboard, literally.

chat room

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
                          Leka, all the responses to your question are more than accurate but how they were answered should tell you something about us too. Americans are in a few words: proud,nationalistic, generous, resourseful, honest (sometimes to our fault), optimistic, creative, independant, greedy,supicious,opinionated and rich in more ways than money. We'll help the world yet there is poverty here. We've "bombed people back to the Stone age" yet we'll happily sacrifice ourselves for a stranger's freedom. Tell an American he "can't" do something & we'll move heaven & earth to prove it can be done and support anyone who wants to try. We'll do whatever it takes to attain our goals ( a canadian friend told me that). We don't care what the cost is--freedom is our main concern. Shortly after 9/11 I was helping train Saudi Arabian policemen here. One of them said he didn't understand our lack of religious belief. I explained to him the U.S. pledge of Allegience and told him as strong as his faith is Islam was, we Americans hold freedom just as important. He looked open wide-eyed and open mouthed and said NOW he knew why Americans are the way we are. Leka, you asked a difficult question,but one all Americans are happy to try to answer.I think to fully understand you'd have to be here.maybe someday you will. Keep writing, it keeps me thinking
                          I like your post

chat room

Comment

We obsess over our weight and tend to look down on others. We're always in a hurry (well, at least us yankees). Yes, we like our hot dogs and hamburgers and coke and french fries. Also our SUVs. We like to b**** about the price of gas and parking.
                            Heh, if you think all Americans are all smiles, you obviously have NEVER been to New York!
                            Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot.
                              I believe that we have a bigger sense of "personal space" than other countries.
                              While its polite to smile at people, coming too close will make us feel uneasy (just like anywhere else).
                              Personally, I like strangers to keep a distance of at least 6 feet in front of me, and at least 8 feet behind me.
                              Oh yeah, a lot of American's don't care for the "politician's handshake", ya know, the one where they grab your hand AND your arm.
                              Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5767 users online. 316 members and 5451 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X