Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katrina = Andrew

yikes Katrina is a monster

sayin a prayer for all those folks in New Orleans and area.

Agreed. I'm watching FOX News right now and they are saying it will be a category 5 hurricane and will directly hit New Orleans. Even if it weakens to a category 4 it wont matter.

God bless everyone who stayed in the area. Hopefully all the hype proves untrue.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

In all my years, I have never seen or heard of a hurricane with 215 mph wind gusts..

That's nutz..

I was watching a tourists from Ohio talking to the news media. The reporter asked him what he was carrying in a box and where he was going.
      The answer? BEER! and to the local Shelter!!!
      The tourists said he wants to leave but has no way to leave. No rental cars available, his plane was canceled, no busses, etc etc.

So I am looking at these pictures are there are cars all over the place that people have left behind. These cars are going to be garbage when this storm comes.
      I would just steal one and drive north! Screw the law. My life is more important.

Comment

I lived in pensacola, FL when Ivan hit last year and it weakened to a cat 3 just as it came ashore. I can't imagine going through a storm stronger than that one.

3 days without running water, 5 days without drinkable water, 7 days without power, no phone for 3 weeks, and no cable for over a month. No power, no phone, and no cable is really no big deal if you have a generator but going without running water isn't fun at all.

Idiots trying to drive over downed power lines, free for alls at grocery stores and meal trucks, accidents everywhere from people trying to clear downed trees with chain saws they've never operated before, looters, leaving 2 hours early to get to work when it normally takes 20 minutes, on and on and on.

New Orleans is in deep doo doo.
        "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus
        Matthew 11:28

Comment

I just got in from work and it's up to 175 sustained. I don't remember any hurricane in my life time that powerful. I'm only 20 though. However I've always heard that Camille was the worst, and that had pressure of 905 if I remember right, when I left for work at 8am, Katrina was at 908. Also the headline when I got home said 100,000 people stuck in New Orleans.

This storm is going to be a horrible blow to the U.S. and will be thinking about everyone in it's path. New Orleans and the coast will have it the worst, but people in Tennessee will feel it's power too. Stay safe everyone.

*EDIT* The pressure is now 7 below what camille was, and only 10 higher than the all time lowest in Atlantic history.
          Last edited by YJ95; 08-28-2005, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Katrina is down to 902.

yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Urgent - Weather Message
              National Weather Service New Orleans La
              1011 Am Cdt Sun Aug 28 2005

...devastating Damage Expected...

.hurricane Katrina...a Most Powerful Hurricane With Unprecedented Strength...rivaling The Intensity Of Hurricane Camille Of 1969.

Most Of The Area Will Be Uninhabitable For Weeks...perhaps Longer. At Least One Half Of Well Constructed Homes Will Have Roof And Wall Failure. All Gabled Roofs Will Fail...leaving Those Homes Severely Damaged Or Destroyed.

The Majority Of Industrial Buildings Will Become Non Functional. Partial To Complete Wall And Roof Failure Is Expected. All Wood Framed Low Rising Apartment Buildings Will Be Destroyed. Concrete Block Low Rise Apartments Will Sustain Major Damage...including Some Wall And Roof Failure.

High Rise Office And Apartment Buildings Will Sway Dangerously...a Few To The Point Of Total Collapse. All Windows Will Blow Out.

Airborne Debris Will Be Widespread...and May Include Heavy Items Such As Household Appliances And Even Light Vehicles. Sport Utility Vehicles And Light Trucks Will Be Moved. The Blown Debris Will Create Additional Destruction. Persons...pets...and Livestock Exposed To The Winds Will Face Certain Death If Struck.

Power Outages Will Last For Weeks...as Most Power Poles Will Be Down And Transformers Destroyed. Water Shortages Will Make Human Suffering Incredible By Modern Standards.

The Vast Majority Of Native Trees Will Be Snapped Or Uprooted. Only The Heartiest Will Remain Standing...but Be Totally Defoliated. Few Crops Will Remain. Livestock Left Exposed To The Winds Will Bekilled.

An Inland Hurricane Wind Warning Is Issued When Sustained Winds Near Hurricane Force...or Frequent Gusts At Or Above Hurricane Force...are Certain Within The Next 12 To 24 Hours.

Once Tropical Storm And Hurricane Force Winds Onset...do Not Venture Outside!

Comment

Its going to be a rough ride. Hit Mapquest up and type in the zip code 70360. That's the city where I live and work. I will have my miniDV camera with me in my patrol car and I am going to try and get some footage when this sucker comes in. I don't think there will be much standing after this is done.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREWED
                  I lived in pensacola, FL when Ivan hit last year and it weakened to a cat 3 just as it came ashore. I can't imagine going through a storm stronger than that one.

3 days without running water, 5 days without drinkable water, 7 days without power, no phone for 3 weeks, and no cable for over a month. No power, no phone, and no cable is really no big deal if you have a generator but going without running water isn't fun at all.

Idiots trying to drive over downed power lines, free for alls at grocery stores and meal trucks, accidents everywhere from people trying to clear downed trees with chain saws they've never operated before, looters, leaving 2 hours early to get to work when it normally takes 20 minutes, on and on and on.

New Orleans is in deep doo doo.

Sounded like pandemonium. What did the police do?

Comment

Originally posted by mark7777
                    Urgent - Weather Message
                    National Weather Service New Orleans La
                    1011 Am Cdt Sun Aug 28 2005

...devastating Damage Expected...

.hurricane Katrina...a Most Powerful Hurricane With Unprecedented Strength...rivaling The Intensity Of Hurricane Camille Of 1969.

Most Of The Area Will Be Uninhabitable For Weeks...perhaps Longer. At Least One Half Of Well Constructed Homes Will Have Roof And Wall Failure. All Gabled Roofs Will Fail...leaving Those Homes Severely Damaged Or Destroyed.

The Majority Of Industrial Buildings Will Become Non Functional. Partial To Complete Wall And Roof Failure Is Expected. All Wood Framed Low Rising Apartment Buildings Will Be Destroyed. Concrete Block Low Rise Apartments Will Sustain Major Damage...including Some Wall And Roof Failure.

High Rise Office And Apartment Buildings Will Sway Dangerously...a Few To The Point Of Total Collapse. All Windows Will Blow Out.

Airborne Debris Will Be Widespread...and May Include Heavy Items Such As Household Appliances And Even Light Vehicles. Sport Utility Vehicles And Light Trucks Will Be Moved. The Blown Debris Will Create Additional Destruction. Persons...pets...and Livestock Exposed To The Winds Will Face Certain Death If Struck.

Power Outages Will Last For Weeks...as Most Power Poles Will Be Down And Transformers Destroyed. Water Shortages Will Make Human Suffering Incredible By Modern Standards.

The Vast Majority Of Native Trees Will Be Snapped Or Uprooted. Only The Heartiest Will Remain Standing...but Be Totally Defoliated. Few Crops Will Remain. Livestock Left Exposed To The Winds Will Bekilled.

An Inland Hurricane Wind Warning Is Issued When Sustained Winds Near Hurricane Force...or Frequent Gusts At Or Above Hurricane Force...are Certain Within The Next 12 To 24 Hours.

Once Tropical Storm And Hurricane Force Winds Onset...do Not Venture Outside!
                    I saw this statement a few hours ago. Now, I have been a storm chaser for some time now but have never, ever seen such powerfull language coming from the NWS or the SPC. This is some serious business.
                    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by Woodles
                      Sounded like pandemonium. What did the police do?
                      I guess in a way it was but in the areas that the police could get to there weren't many problems. Unfortunately there were some areas that they just couldn't get to and as you know that's when the crooks come out to do their bidding.
                      "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus
                      Matthew 11:28

Comment

Looters will be shot on site

NO is freaking history if this hits direct...with that nasty Miss. river water filled with toxins from all the gas and petro and sewage people are in serious trouble. 1 forecast is predicting over 1000 deaths if peolple don't leave or seek high ground.

I almost decided on NO as my trip this week( leave Thurs),sure glad I picked Chicago at this point.
                        Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller
                          Looters will be shot on site

NO is freaking history if this hits direct...with that nasty Miss. river water filled with toxins from all the gas and petro and sewage people are in serious trouble. 1 forecast is predicting over 1000 deaths if peolple don't leave or seek high ground.

I almost decided on NO as my trip this week( leave Thurs),sure glad I picked Chicago at this point.
                          1000 deaths is becoming the conservative figure. Can you imagine if the superdome doesn't hold up? It has never been tested for hurricane force winds. If the superdome doesn't hold up they are in some serious trouble

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
                            1000 deaths is becoming the conservative figure. Can you imagine if the superdome doesn't hold up? It has never been tested for hurricane force winds. If the superdome doesn't hold up they are in some serious trouble
                            I just thought that alittle while ago while watching them stand in line. I thought "what if part of the dome just rips off?" I doubt it will, but deep inside I have some really bad feeling about that dome. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by southladeputy
                              Its going to be a rough ride. Hit Mapquest up and type in the zip code 70360. That's the city where I live and work. I will have my miniDV camera with me in my patrol car and I am going to try and get some footage when this sucker comes in. I don't think there will be much standing after this is done.
                              Saw you are in Houma, or however that's spelt. They were just talking with a reporter heading there to stay, she was stuck in traffic though still a long way away. Running with 3/4 tank of gas, hope she gets there. I'm worried about people overheating or running out of gas and having no where to go.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5450 users online. 308 members and 5142 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X