300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC system memory

I just got a memory upgrade for my computer from my family as a gift...I opened my case and the card that is in it is twice the size (Length) of my new card. I have 256 mb in my first slot and was just going to put the second 256 mb card in my second slot...the new card is PC2700, DDR, 256 mb. Checking the web site where the new card was bought, and checking my computer specs, everything seems right. What am I missing?
    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

It sounds like it is not the proper pin length. What are your computer specs? Specifically, what mother board are you using (if you know)?
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

I couldn't find the type of mother board...that's about a quarter inch over my head. But, per Gateway's site my memory type is:

Specifications:
      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Gateway Memory - 184 pin DIMM DDR RAM
      CATEGORY: System Specific DDR
      MEMORY SPEED: 333MHz (PC2700)
      STORAGE CAPACITY: 256MB
      FORM FACTOR: 184 pin DIMM
      TECHNOLOGY: DDR

The memory that I received was:
      MAL6664U/256/Q33
      256MB IMAC G4 FLAT PANEL DDR 2700 SO DIMM
      THIS IS A 256MB DDR 333 PC2700 200 PIN CL2.5 SO DIMM FOR THE IMAC G4 FLAT PANEL 1.25MHZ WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY

So...I take it the new memory has a PIN size of 200, and I need 184, right?
      "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Egads, if I'm reading this right, you have RAM for an Apple computer.

At any rate, this RAM should work for you:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmod...bid=DDR+PC2700

Anything listed under the 184 pin should work. I have used this brand of memory on a few different computers I've built and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The price is not bad, either.
        Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

The key phrase is "SO DIMM" versus "DIMM". SO DIMM is for laptop computers, where most all parts are smaller. You need DIMM memory for your desktop PC.

BTW, a good place for buying computer upgrades at a reasonable price is NewEgg.com. I don't work for them or anything, but I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them for my computers.

AvgJoe
          Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

as Welpe said...that memory you received as a gift is memory for an Apple Imac G4, it would not be compatible with a windows computer. The IMac G5 was my dream "to buy" computer...but I went with the HPmedia center edition PC instead. Still love the sexy look of that IMac G5 tho. Good luck on your upgrade.

MAL6664U/256/Q33
            256MB IMAC G4 FLAT PANEL DDR 2700 SO DIMM
            THIS IS A 256MB DDR 333 PC2700 200 PIN CL2.5 SO DIMM FOR THE IMAC G4 FLAT PANEL 1.25MHZ WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY

Comment

Why 256mb.... I have a Pc2700 DDR 1gig stick forsale if you are interested?
              ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe
                The key phrase is "SO DIMM" versus "DIMM". SO DIMM is for laptop computers, where most all parts are smaller. You need DIMM memory for your desktop PC.

BTW, a good place for buying computer upgrades at a reasonable price is NewEgg.com. I don't work for them or anything, but I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them for my computers.

AvgJoe
                You are correct (and I failed to mention that earlier). I did link him to DIMM memory.

Comment

Thanks for the replies...hopefully wherever this was bought from will take it back. Ahhh, and the 1 gig would be nice, but I can't refuse a gift and I wouldn't have a use for a 256 card and a 1 gig card.

-Lao Tzu

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

You COULD use the 1 gb RAM, it'd be all you'd ever need on that machine hehe.

Comment

Actually you could use the 1GB stick also if you wanted to. You should have at least two memory slots on your motherboard and the .25GB and 1GB sticks would work together. I have 1.5GB of RAM in my Dell XP video editing PC and it hums right along. Windows XP likes to use 512MB of RAM to operate optimally so 1.25GB would set you up quite nicely.

But I understand - a gift is a gift and you'll be at .5GB afterwards so all will be well. Enjoy the faster response your computer will have after the upgrade!

AvgJoe
                      Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2990 users online. 172 members and 2818 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X