X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photogrrlz
    replied
    Originally posted by pkagel
    Congrats on your move. Following everything that has been happening with you lately it is probably for the best. The SD neighborhood of Hillcrest will probably be to your likeing. Her is a link to my web group that I keep all my notes on from when I went through the academy. If you get to test out of the academy then the test is going to be written off of this info. The main file you'll need to look at is called "Learning Domains" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

PS. Remember what N.A.V.Y. stands for before going down and trying to do another 2 years, LOL

Yea I know all about Hillcrest ....Spent many days there when I was stationed out there..... thanks for the link

Leave a comment:

• Bigd1970
    replied
    The Presidio of Monterey, CA is currently looking for Federal Law Enforcement Officers. It's not San Diego, but it is Monterey. It is about the same Cost of Living. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• pkagel
    replied
    Congrats on your move. Following everything that has been happening with you lately it is probably for the best. The SD neighborhood of Hillcrest will probably be to your likeing. Her is a link to my web group that I keep all my notes on from when I went through the academy. If you get to test out of the academy then the test is going to be written off of this info. The main file you'll need to look at is called "Learning Domains" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

PS. Remember what N.A.V.Y. stands for before going down and trying to do another 2 years, LOL

Leave a comment:

• moochie502
    replied
    Yeah, I think there is some weirdness with San Diego PD pay right now. The department is fighting it. Haven't heard the outcome yet.

Leave a comment:

• Lucky Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by Photogrrlz
    Well I always knew when I left San Deigo I would be back to continue my career there. I been browsing around on the web, checked out San Diego Sheriffs Department and some others. I know it won't happen over night so I am checking out general jobs as well.

But I am excited and nervous at the same time

Someone will correct me (I hope) if I'm wrong, but I believe that San Diego PD just took a 6% pay cut during their last contract negotiation. I believe it is the SO that is decent shape. Might want to avoid the city.

Leave a comment:

• moochie502
    replied
    Hello,

The San Diego Sheriff's Department is hiring around 300 new officers. The San Diego police department is also hiring in mass. Or at least they were about a month ago. If you show up for the testing, make sure you arrive super early. The amount of people that show up for LE testing will blow you away.
    I have to agree with what others have said about the cost of living. I've lived in San Diego county for 27 years. I love Cali. but I can honestly say that I can't afford to live here anymore, and the whole overcrowded situation is out of control (among other things / gas prices / massive immigration problems / traffic). You can rent a place for 800 to 1300 bux a month in decent areas. I pay 1100 (apt) for a decent place in Carlsbad. If you want to buy a condo you can expect to pay $298,000 and higher. Decent condos in the north county coastal areas will cost you 350,000 and above. Anything below 298,000 will land you in the ghetto areas.
    Not to break your spirits about moving to Cali. San Diego departments treat their officers well and you can't beat the weather. It's just hard to hear about buying a small condo here for 300,000 when the same amount of money will buy a 2 story, 3bdr 3bth house with land in Colorado.
    Last edited by moochie502; 08-22-2005, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• concon02
    replied
    I live in the east bay area of CA.

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    replied
    Originally posted by Welpe
    Hey Duke, I'm curious, how long is your commute from home to work? There are a few agencies in the LA and OC area I wouldn't mind working for, but it seems the affordable places to live are all in Riverside.
    About 35 mins....traffic (severe traffic) can lengthen the drive to about an hour. I commute about 25 miles to work, using the 5 freeway through Orange County, so it's all in the timing. But in my unit we set our own hours, so I can control the traffic to some extent.

The commute may be shorter in the inland empire, since affordable housing is more readily available...but then you have to live out there! Just kidding, but since the houses are (were) cheaper in the IE, a lot of our trash from OC and LA moved out there....Moreno Valley being the best example. But lots of our gang members moved to Riverside & Corona, also.

Leave a comment:

• usafcop64528
    replied
    Good luck with your move. I hope it goes well with you.

Leave a comment:

• Code3kd
    replied
    Photo, you might want to look into Irvine PD in Orange County they are pretty squared away and pay good.

If you want to come a little further north LAPD is on a hiring spree and is now actively accepting laterals. I think it's only a 14 or 15 week orientation academy and based on how much time you have on the job you could step in at level 4 pay, not to mention the other bonuses you may qualify for.

Leave a comment:

• Welpe
    replied
    Hey Duke, I'm curious, how long is your commute from home to work? There are a few agencies in the LA and OC area I wouldn't mind working for, but it seems the affordable places to live are all in Riverside.

Leave a comment:

• Photogrrlz
    replied
    Well I think once I get to the west coast it will be easier for me to apply to different agencies compared trying to do it from Ohio.

It sucks to know I won't be a cop again for awhile, but the west coast is where I belong.

Besides I am not tied down with family matters its only me.... So that is one thing on my side.

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    replied
    Originally posted by Photogrrlz
    Well I always knew when I left San Deigo I would be back to continue my career there. I been browsing around on the web, checked out San Diego Sheriffs Department and some others. I know it won't happen over night so I am checking out general jobs as well.

I was born and raised in San Diego, and worked as a reserve police officer for several years at a small agency before coming to LA, then Orange, County. I love San Diego and miss it dearly.

However, agencies in San Diego typically make *significantly* less money than those in Orange and LA counties. I have no idea why this is true, but it is. I made a little over 100k last year in Orange county with minimal overtime (mostly on call court, etc). I would speculate someone with comparable experience in SD county would make about 70k. Also, I was told SDPD just gave a 10% pay cut due to their budget nightmares (I don't know if this is BS or not).

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but Orange and LA county homes will cost you about as much as one in San Diego. Plus, I'm only 1 1/2 hours from San Diego, so I go there all the time.

If you look at Orange County, these are (in my estimation) some of the better agencies to look at:

Santa Ana PD
    Job Title: Police Officer Lateral Transfer
    Final Filing Date: Open Until Further Notice
    Salary: $5330 - $7548* Per Month

Anaheim PD
    Salary Range
    $4,600.27 - $6,163.73 Per Month
    Note: Experienced Police Officers are typically hired at the upper third of the salary range.
    ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION IS AVAILABLE
    Bilingual ability is compensated at the rate of 5% of base salary per biweekly pay period.
    Post Intermediate - 10% above Base PayPost Advanced - 12.5% above Base Pay, figures as follows:
    $5,706.13 - $6,935.07 Per Month

As a comparison:

San Diego PD:
    Police Officer I OPEN $3,646 - 4,400 /mo
    Police Officer II OPEN $4,651 - 5,620 /mo

Oceanside PD:
    Police Officer Entry and Lateral
    $3,928 - $5,588 monthly

San Diego Sheriff's Department:
    Deputy Sheriff with Advanced P.O.S.T. (7 1/2% on base pay)- $69,989 per year.

Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• Welpe
    replied
    Photo, here is another great resource.

http://www.post.ca.gov/employdata/countymap.htm

It breaks down every LE agency in CA by county, I've used it many times to just browse around and see the different departments.

Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Photogrrlz
    replied

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3436 users online. 249 members and 3187 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X