300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to California

Well I have finally decided when my lease is up for my apartment I am moving to San Diego to continue my law enforcement career. I wanted to move there before I was thirty so I think now is the time for me to do it.

I am going to start applying to different agencies out there, while filling out my POST transfer cert. Doubt I will get it, so I plan on paying my way again through another academy. Unless I get hired before hand.

Fortunately, I have friends out there that will let me stay at their apartment while I get on my feet to hunt down my own place.

I also thought about trying to get a 2 year navy enlistment guarenteeing (sp?) a shore duty position at Naval Station San Diego. That way I can attend college, go thru the academy and get a LE position. Or maybe look into the DOD LEOs for the bases.

Ohio is not my cup of tea and ever since I was stationed in Cali, I always knew I wanted to go back......

Any suggestions where to look for general employment while doing the hiring process for the agencies?

Thanks
    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Check this website for openings in CA:

http://www.post.ca.gov/jobops/jobopslist.asp

As far as the academy goes, there are several larger departments that either have their own academy or will send you through one.

Good luck!
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Plan on paying 4x what your payin now... Thats the 1 thing thats keeping me from movin back to Cali. I miss it soooo much, but jsut cant aford it.

Good luck!

Try checkin out www.911hotjobs.com
      Irish Toasts
      When we drink, we get drunk.
      When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
      When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
      When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
      So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Comment

move to S.D.

You can always apply for a job with the county of san diego they have lots of positions and a decent web site. Just remember the cost of living is HIGH and I am on my way trying to find a job somewhere else in law enforcement. Just taking a while since I am trying to compare cost of living to salary and want to live in a decent neighborhood. Out here in Southern Cali if you can afford a house you are pretty much living with the people you deal with on a daily basis if you know what I mean. Good luck ....

Comment

SF Bay area, LA, SD, all have seriously high costs of living as do any where on the coast. You might want to search a little more inland in this state. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. Good Luck
          www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
          In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

Check at the following:

http://www.post.ca.gov/training/bt_b...equal_info.asp

you may be able to challenge the CA POST test based on your training in your state. The 3 week course is no big deal....

You could always contact CA POST, speak to the Representative and get the low down on what you can / have to do...

http://www.post.ca.gov/about/drg/drg_intro-final.asp

SD city, SD county, SD Port Police is always hiring....... Cities within SD County such as Oceanside PD and others are hiring too...

http://www.oceansidepolice.com/Recru...nformation.asp
            http://www.sandiego.gov/police/join/officer.shtml
            http://www.sdsheriff.net/jobs/dep_sheriff.html
            http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandie...cruiting_page/

good luck.
            ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
            -- John Wayne

Comment

Good Luck finding a job out in California.

Welcome Back to.

I hate living out here its too expensive even for a native Bay Arean.

I am thinking I should move to either Arizona or Minnesota. Wonder how much the homes are out there or atleast apartments.
              "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
              Not Yet Visited: 16
              Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

As far as the Twin Citites are concerned you can get a decent apartment for 700-1200 a month, of course you could also buy a townhouse in a really nice area and pay 1200 a month for a house payment...
                Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Well I always knew when I left San Deigo I would be back to continue my career there. I been browsing around on the web, checked out San Diego Sheriffs Department and some others. I know it won't happen over night so I am checking out general jobs as well.

But I am excited and nervous at the same time

Patience with ignorance

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Comment

Photo, here is another great resource.

http://www.post.ca.gov/employdata/countymap.htm

It breaks down every LE agency in CA by county, I've used it many times to just browse around and see the different departments.

Enjoy!
                    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Photogrrlz
                      Well I always knew when I left San Deigo I would be back to continue my career there. I been browsing around on the web, checked out San Diego Sheriffs Department and some others. I know it won't happen over night so I am checking out general jobs as well.

But I am excited and nervous at the same time
                      I was born and raised in San Diego, and worked as a reserve police officer for several years at a small agency before coming to LA, then Orange, County. I love San Diego and miss it dearly.

However, agencies in San Diego typically make *significantly* less money than those in Orange and LA counties. I have no idea why this is true, but it is. I made a little over 100k last year in Orange county with minimal overtime (mostly on call court, etc). I would speculate someone with comparable experience in SD county would make about 70k. Also, I was told SDPD just gave a 10% pay cut due to their budget nightmares (I don't know if this is BS or not).

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but Orange and LA county homes will cost you about as much as one in San Diego. Plus, I'm only 1 1/2 hours from San Diego, so I go there all the time.

If you look at Orange County, these are (in my estimation) some of the better agencies to look at:

Santa Ana PD
                      Job Title: Police Officer Lateral Transfer
                      Final Filing Date: Open Until Further Notice
                      Salary: $5330 - $7548* Per Month

Anaheim PD
                      Salary Range
                      $4,600.27 - $6,163.73 Per Month
                      Note: Experienced Police Officers are typically hired at the upper third of the salary range.
                      ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION IS AVAILABLE
                      Bilingual ability is compensated at the rate of 5% of base salary per biweekly pay period.
                      Post Intermediate - 10% above Base PayPost Advanced - 12.5% above Base Pay, figures as follows:
                      $5,706.13 - $6,935.07 Per Month

As a comparison:

San Diego PD:
                      Police Officer I OPEN $3,646 - 4,400 /mo
                      Police Officer II OPEN $4,651 - 5,620 /mo

Oceanside PD:
                      Police Officer Entry and Lateral
                      $3,928 - $5,588 monthly

San Diego Sheriff's Department:
                      Deputy Sheriff with Advanced P.O.S.T. (7 1/2% on base pay)- $69,989 per year.

Best of luck!
                      Officer, I borrowed these pants!

Comment

Well I think once I get to the west coast it will be easier for me to apply to different agencies compared trying to do it from Ohio.

It sucks to know I won't be a cop again for awhile, but the west coast is where I belong.

Besides I am not tied down with family matters its only me.... So that is one thing on my side.

Patience with ignorance

Comment

Hey Duke, I'm curious, how long is your commute from home to work? There are a few agencies in the LA and OC area I wouldn't mind working for, but it seems the affordable places to live are all in Riverside.

Comment

Photo, you might want to look into Irvine PD in Orange County they are pretty squared away and pay good.

If you want to come a little further north LAPD is on a hiring spree and is now actively accepting laterals. I think it's only a 14 or 15 week orientation academy and based on how much time you have on the job you could step in at level 4 pay, not to mention the other bonuses you may qualify for.

Comment

Good luck with your move. I hope it goes well with you.
                              RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4333 users online. 298 members and 4035 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X