300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more cigarettes ?

After 17 years I am finally going to give up smoking on Thursday !
    Like many before I could say "giving up is easy, I have given up 3 times this year already". BUt this time I am going to give it my best shot. I am/was a great believer in the "two staple food groups - CAFFINE AND NICOTINE" so it will be a bit of a life changer.

It is not a problem at home, I have a 3 year old and never smoke around him. WORK is the problem! As soon as I reach the doors to the station I am reaching for a cigarette. Getting involved in a big job there is nothing better than a coffee and little white stick afterwards to chill out with.

Any tips out there on how I can cope ? In paticular when at work.

I have been to the doctor so have a ready supply of gum, patches, plastic inhalator (that will look good in the pub on Friday night sucking a little plastic tube).

All advice greatfully received, better go now, I need a fix!

MrG

Originally posted by MrG
    After 17 years I am finally going to give up smoking on Thursday !
    Like many before I could say "giving up is easy, I have given up 3 times this year already". BUt this time I am going to give it my best shot. I am/was a great believer in the "two staple food groups - CAFFINE AND NICOTINE" so it will be a bit of a life changer.

It is not a problem at home, I have a 3 year old and never smoke around him. WORK is the problem! As soon as I reach the doors to the station I am reaching for a cigarette. Getting involved in a big job there is nothing better than a coffee and little white stick afterwards to chill out with.

Any tips out there on how I can cope ? In paticular when at work.

I have been to the doctor so have a ready supply of gum, patches, plastic inhalator (that will look good in the pub on Friday night sucking a little plastic tube).

All advice greatfully received, better go now, I need a fix!

MrG
    Why are you quitting Thursday? Why not right now?

I'm sorry, but it's like people who make New Years resolutions. "I'm gonna lose 20 pounds starting January 1st." Bullsh**. If you're serious about a resolution, you do it NOW.

I beg your pardon, but really, if you're serious, why wait until Thursday? Gotta finish your last carton of cigarettes?
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Just drink more coffee. Hey, at least you can still have the caffine.
      That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

calm down puget, wish him luck, he could ver ywell do it.... its never too late to stop doing things that are bad for you... i never got into habit of smoking, i have NO idea why other people get so hooked... i don't drink, do drugs, smoke and drink coffee... i am weird

Comment

I've heard great success stories with Welbutrin (also known as Zyban). It's a prescription drug used to help with will power to stop smoking. It apparently reduces the withdrawl effects and is an anti-depressant. I know quite a few people who have quit and stayed off of them since using Zyban.
          The other good thing is I believe most drug plans cover it. I think they cover something like 6 months one time only.

If you wanted some more background on it:
          http://www.drugs.com/wellbutrin.html

Comment

Havent tried the zyban but an ink pen and the gum is pretty effective. and just remember if you do break down and have one, put it out, listerine your mouth, be good the rest of the day! And try not to bite your jaw when feverishly chomping away at the gum.

Comment

Calm down calm down !!!
              The reason I stop on Thursday is simple. I don't get my nicotine replacement stuff until wednesday. I also have to see the clinic wednesday to have a "group discussion". So, not weak willed or anything else, just part of the stop smoking plan written by my doctor.

Thanks for the other advice, keep it coming, I'm gonna need it!

MrG

Comment

This is from the stop smoking thread about a year ago. In your case, it only pertains to handling any "lapses." Good luck.

I have always suggested to smokers that their best chances of succeeding is, first and foremost, to distinguish the habit element from the chemical addiction element. I came up with this system after my college girlfriend/roomate failed to quit smoking yet again, even though it was the main source of her asthma attacks that were so bad they sometimes had to be treated in the E.R.

Basically, it means NEVER smoking when the trigger is an associated habit such as driving, with coffee, after eating or sex, or whatever, and ONLY smoking as necessary to satisfy your actual physical craving for nicotine. You should also eliminate any element of comfort or enjoyment when you smoke and "administer" your nicotine fix as though it were purely a medicinal injection rather than anything pleasurable. Nicotine cravings gradually decrease once you do this, and nicotine gum or patches are available too, if you need. If your will power is too weak even to dissociate the addiction from the habit and you consider every cigarette you "desire" as a bona fide "nicotine fit", then just be honest and admit you're not ready to stop smoking yet and stop whining.

Nicotine cravings are recognizable by their symptoms; all the other triggers are up to you to resist, if you're serious about quitting or staying off. If it's not an actual nicotine fit, suck it up; if it is a nicotine fit, that doesn't mean it's OK to sit back on the couch with your coffee and TV remote and enjoy yourself while you smoke. Take your cigarette out to the porch without a coat and stand there on one foot the whole time you're smoking. Have your nicotine when absolutely necessary, but remove any aspect of enjoyment from it. Once you're down to a handful a day or whatever, start smoking only 1/2 a cigarette for some of those and don't toss the unsmoked half to make sure each one really lasts for two smokes. Then, only smoke a half each time. Finally, start cutting down the number of times each day you need to stand out there in the cold on one foot like an idiot just to do something that's going to destroy your health and shorten life if you keep doing it.
                No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

smoking

I wish you well in quiting. Puget I would like to be your field training officer, you sure need an attitude adjustment

Comment

Wish you good luck and a strong will.

There is lot of advise out there, but it comes down to your will power. Analyzing the your personal triggers is the key.

Another method, and depending on the individual and dependancy is to cut down until you reach a consumption not more than 10 or 12 sticks a day. Once you've reached that limit consistently quitting is not a big deal anymore.

Nicotine dependancy is said to start with 12 or 15 a day. Like with drinking, lots of debate and bias.

My two cents.

Comment

Git er done!

Comment

I've tried quitting smoking, but it wasn't fair to my wife.

Comment

That said, I've tried qutting twice. The first time lasted a couple of years, and the second time lasted a couple of weeks. I used to smoke a pack and then some each day, but now I'm down to half a pack of extra mild cigarettes a day.

It seems to me that using pills, gums, and patches is cheating. I see an addictions counsellor instead, and she's really done well at engouraging me to cut down before I take the big leap in to cold turkey once again. This time I'm sure I will do it, and I know you can too.

Best of luck, friend!

Comment

On May 16, 2003 I quit smokeless tobacco after about twenty years of addiction. I had three days of absolute hell and then it gradually became more tolerable.

I went cold turkey and I gained twenty pounds in the next two months.

Unfortunately, there isn't an "easy" way of doing it. If there was no one would smoke. The best advice I can give is to tell yourself you are going to stick it out the first day no matter what. When you get up the second day tell yourself you are going to stick it out until the end of the day, no matter what. And so on...

It's been twenty-seven months for me since I last had a dip, and I still have dreams about it.
                            Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

I apologize guys, but I have some experience in dealing with people with addiction and I've seen many times where an individual will say, "I'll quit next week. Let me just finish off the cigarettes I have." They tend to be more willy nilly about quitting. It's like an over-eater saying, "Okay, I will go on a diet. I just have to finish all of the cake and bacon I have in the fridge."

I totally accept your reasoning for waiting and apologize for coming off harsh. Obviously I spoke too soon and assumed that this was the case with you, which it is clearly not. It's just like I said, I've seen a lot of cases where people want to have one last go at smoking before they quit.

Again, I apologize to you, and to the others I offended.

And GOOD LUCK to you! You will feel SO MUCH BETTER once you're free of cigarettes and can finally even come off of the nicotine supplements.
                              Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                              Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5911 users online. 350 members and 5561 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X