Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Question.....

I have a question for you NYPD officers (or whoever knows the answer):

I understand that New York City is broken up into Boroughs, but is each Borough a separate legal entity, or are they just different areas of a large legal entity, New York City?

The reason I ask is Alaska has Boroughs, but they're basically counties. Each one is a separate legal entity. If a town straddles two Boroughs, it would legally be two separate towns.

all 5 boroughs = 1 big city ( new york city )
    nyc may be comprised of different county's...someone else will
    have to answer that.

50 wards = 1 big city ( chicago ) cook county

www.schackdaddy.com
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

history of NYC....

NYC is made up of five Boroughs of which were formerly Counties. These 5 counties merged and become one city... "the City of New York. These five boroughs are Bronx (formerly Bronx County), Manhattan (former New York County), Staten Island (fromerly Richmond County), Brooklyn (formerly Kings County) and Queens (formerly Queens County). This pretty much explains why NYC is so big and NYPD being the lasrgest Police department in the nation (over 40,000) with chicago being the second largest with only 13,000. And all these bourouhs are one entity ... that being the City of New York... anything else

Comment

Originally posted by NYCde
        NYC is made up of five Boroughs of which were formerly Counties. These 5 counties merged and become one city... "the City of New York. These five boroughs are Bronx (formerly Bronx County), Manhattan (former New York County), Staten Island (fromerly Richmond County), Brooklyn (formerly Kings County) and Queens (formerly Queens County). This pretty much explains why NYC is so big and NYPD being the lasrgest Police department in the nation (over 40,000) with chicago being the second largest with only 13,000. And all these bourouhs are one entity ... that being the City of New York... anything else

according the US Census, Bronx County, New York County, Richmond County, Kings County, and Queens County still exist. Each county is Coextensive with the 5 boroughs of NYC. In fact, each borough has it's own court system like any other county in the U.S but falls under the umbrella of the New York City Criminal Court. In Brooklyn, the District Attorney is the Kings County DA, not the Brooklyn DA (even though many may call him the Brooklyn DA), the same goes with the other county/boroughs in NYC.
        Last edited by NavyCop; 08-13-2005, 07:59 PM.

Comment

NavyCop indeed you are right.... but as far as me explaining the 5 borough / county thing, i was just helping out where FtLaudCop coundn't (in respect to NYC).
          Last edited by NYCdel; 08-13-2005, 10:03 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5190 users online. 285 members and 4905 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X