300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about officers and publicity

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I were driving down the interstate when the van directly behind us over-corrected shot across the median and hit a car in the south bound lanes head on. Even though he was off duty he whipped our mini van around and we both jumped out to help. Needless to say it was a very bad wreck two fatalities, only one survivor. The local newspaper of course ran a story and had a picture in the paper of the vehicles involved and listed the agencies that responded. The paper didn't list my husband or me even though we were first on the scene. Long story short a friend of my husbands saw the article and when he didn't see us listed as responding he wrote a nasty letter to the editor. He wanted a retraction in the paper on the story and our names listed. My husband and I both felt it was our duty to stop and help, we never expected anything out of it that's not why we did it. But now since the paper added a note the following day with our names we both feel badly. A volunteer fireman that also responded said that was pretty sh#ty of us to toot our horns though we had nothing to do with it.How does everyone else feel about having their names in the papers or other media outlets for doing their jobs?

Originally posted by Mrs. J21
    How does everyone else feel about having their names in the papers or other media outlets for doing their jobs?
    My name has been in the papers several times, but it would be fine with me if it never was again.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I'd be happy as a clam never to have my name in the paper. The fireman, eh he's just ****ed because everyone loves a fireman and in this case you're getting the good PR. Tell him to go save a cat, or play with his hose, or go wash the urinals at his station....whatever they do you know.
      Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

I know numerous print & TV reporters. I have several reporters that call me all the time. I pimp the good work we do but but never let them use my name. In my job, I could be in the media weekly if I wanted to. I prefer to stay off the radar screen.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I really do appreciate the input from everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspertoo
            I'd be happy as a clam never to have my name in the paper. The fireman, eh he's just ****ed because everyone loves a fireman and in this case you're getting the good PR. Tell him to go save a cat, or play with his hose, or go wash the urinals at his station....whatever they do you know.
            You forgot wash personal cars, cook big meals, watch tv, sleep, and at the same time, get paid for it all!

Sounds like some one here is jealous ehh Mr. Casper??
            That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

I don't see why your friend took it upon themselves to send a letter to the editor because you and your husband's name were not in the paper. The best good deeds go unnoticed.
              "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Believe it or not the friend that wrote to the paper is also a police officer. Thats what got me. I know when my husband started working as an officer he was given all sorts of advice from the higher ups about keeping addresses and phone numbers out of the public hands. And also staying out of the media unless need be. We didn't want our names in the paper. We stoppped and did what we had to do because we were the closest help at the time. I just thought is strange that a fellow officer would make such a big deal out of it and wonder how everyone else felt about it.

Comment

A few years ago, I witnessed a horrible wreck while I was off duty. I stopped anyway.

I saw the van involved catch fire and 2 occupants still inside. One was ushered out by another good samaritan. The driver was still buckled in, screaming in pain. I climbed into the van and pulled the guy out with the help of another guy.

After we got the driver out, I saw the lights and heard the sirens of the local PD whom were just arriving. I walked away, got back into my car and drove off.

When I went to work the next shift, I told one of the old timers I work with what happened. He said that even though I was off duty, I should let the sergeant know what happened and he'd put me in for an award. I thought it was stupid, so I never mentioned it.

I also don't wear any of the ribbons I've been awarded simply because that's not my style.

When I read about the accident in the paper the next day, there wasn't any mention of good samaritans, nor was there mention of any of the first responders. Does it matter? IMO, not in the least.

Some guys like to have their names in the paper, I'm not one of them. As long as I can fly under the radar and do my thing without being yelled at, it's a good day for me. Did I deserve and award for pulling the guy out of the van? Probably. But even though I wasn't recognized for my action, I still know what I did and that's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Java King
                    You forgot wash personal cars, cook big meals, watch tv, sleep, and at the same time, get paid for it all!

Sounds like some one here is jealous ehh Mr. Casper??
                    But, I've never heard of a "fireman groupie", a "hose bunny", or a "pry-bar sniffer".

DOHHHHH!!!!
                    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Death and life have their determined appointments; riches and honors depend upon heaven. -Confucius
                      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

I would rather bait an aligator with my genitals than to speak with a member of the [email protected]#$$% ^&*%ing press!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

.,/,.//,/,/,/,.//,./,
                          Last edited by Harleydude; 01-12-2006, 08:51 AM.
                          Just the facts ma`am, just the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                            But, I've never heard of a "fireman groupie", a "hose bunny", or a "pry-bar sniffer".

DOHHHHH!!!!
                            Hose bunny??? I'll have to check into that!
                            Ever see that Reno 911 episode where the cops have their ball on the same day as the fire department? They walk up to the station & you see all the half-naked women washing the engine for them. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

It's too bad police have to go through the automatic car wash.
                            That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

Thanks for all the input. We're not real fond of our news media here either. We don't even take the local newspaper for that reason. I appreciate all the comments left on here. As far as the fire dept goes.............. well the same fireman that made a comment about us was smoking a cigarette standing over the victims as we were trying to hook them up to oxygen. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed. I couldn't believe he worked the accident with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth the whole time even around oxygen.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3929 users online. 247 members and 3682 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X