300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved a life today...

This is my last day of work here at the University Medical Center, so i went to HR to turn in my badge and get paperwork for my retirement accounts.. then put in my last 8 hours.

On the drive back over (2 separate buildings) i pull into our parking structure.
    As i come around the turn for the 2nd level a lady stops me and says a man just now collapsed and she doesn't have a cell-phone. Sure enough, i pull foward 10 ft and there is a man (in his 80's) laying on his back sort of off to the side, not moving. She left.

I jumped out of the car, leaving it there in the middle - so no one hits us as people drive like maniacs in the structure and i run over to the guy. He won't respond to me.. but his eyes are open. His body is COLD as hell, i thought he was dead for a moment.. then i found a good carotid pulse.

I called 911. I thought he maybe had a seizure.. wasn't sure.
    He was BARELY breathing. 30 seconds later, lost the pulse. I checked both sides of his neck and his hands.. nothing. By now there was a group of people around and 2 others joined me on the ground kneeling over him. I had the girl listen for breath sounds - nothing. I told them we need to start CPR. The 3 of us administered CPR until he started to seize 2 minutes in. Man.. it was scary.

He stopped breathing 3 times at least... and we lost his pulse twice. Each time we'd resume CPR.

Finally, in what seemed like forever, paramedics showed up. He got more CPR, he got schocked, and then intubated there on the cement floor of the parking structure.

The fire department is in the building RIGHT NEXT to ours.. however, with all the 911 transferring BS with the cellphone, and the way the complex is set up, it took probably 10 minutes for them to show up. Plus, we had to flag them down and get them up the stairs cause the truck is too big for the structure.

I've always wondered how i'd handle a situation such as this... i think i did pretty damn good.

The gentleman was picking up his daughter from surgery and was walking out to get his car.

Right now, his heart is beating on it's own, and he's trying to breathe on his own. What an AWESOME feeling. His daughter will likely get to see her dad again

Nothing but respect for anyone who is in the business of saving lives... directly or indirectly

What a last day...

thanks for reading

Awesome job LTF. Keep up the good work. Deep respect for you.
    RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Isnt it great!!!!

Awsome post you got there! I am currently an Emergency Medical Technician-D in NY. I love stuff like that. Your an awsome person for doing that. One question though- Did you use a CPR mask? I know this is wierd and I am not raining on your parade neither. Dont get me wrong here. I am so used to PPD's you know what I mean. Just wondering. Great Save Regardless!!! Be Safe

Comment

Originally posted by REDIWHIP
        Awsome post you got there! I am currently an Emergency Medical Technician-D in NY. I love stuff like that. Your an awsome person for doing that. One question though- Did you use a CPR mask? I know this is wierd and I am not raining on your parade neither. Dont get me wrong here. I am so used to PPD's you know what I mean. Just wondering. Great Save Regardless!!! Be Safe
        We were fortunate that a lady ran up right before we started with a fresh mask! I think from this point on, i'm going to make sure i always have one in the glove box. Can't be too careful.

Comment

Originally posted by LovnTheFuzz
          This is my last day of work here at the University Medical Center, so i went to HR to turn in my badge and get paperwork for my retirement accounts.. then put in my last 8 hours.

On the drive back over (2 separate buildings) i pull into our parking structure.
          As i come around the turn for the 2nd level a lady stops me and says a man just now collapsed and she doesn't have a cell-phone. Sure enough, i pull foward 10 ft and there is a man (in his 80's) laying on his back sort of off to the side, not moving. She left.

I jumped out of the car, leaving it there in the middle - so no one hits us as people drive like maniacs in the structure and i run over to the guy. He won't respond to me.. but his eyes are open. His body is COLD as hell, i thought he was dead for a moment.. then i found a good carotid pulse.

I called 911. I thought he maybe had a seizure.. wasn't sure.
          He was BARELY breathing. 30 seconds later, lost the pulse. I checked both sides of his neck and his hands.. nothing. By now there was a group of people around and 2 others joined me on the ground kneeling over him. I had the girl listen for breath sounds - nothing. I told them we need to start CPR. The 3 of us administered CPR until he started to seize 2 minutes in. Man.. it was scary.

He stopped breathing 3 times at least... and we lost his pulse twice. Each time we'd resume CPR.

Finally, in what seemed like forever, paramedics showed up. He got more CPR, he got schocked, and then intubated there on the cement floor of the parking structure.

The fire department is in the building RIGHT NEXT to ours.. however, with all the 911 transferring BS with the cellphone, and the way the complex is set up, it took probably 10 minutes for them to show up. Plus, we had to flag them down and get them up the stairs cause the truck is too big for the structure.

I've always wondered how i'd handle a situation such as this... i think i did pretty damn good.

The gentleman was picking up his daughter from surgery and was walking out to get his car.

Right now, his heart is beating on it's own, and he's trying to breathe on his own. What an AWESOME feeling. His daughter will likely get to see her dad again

Nothing but respect for anyone who is in the business of saving lives... directly or indirectly

What a last day...

thanks for reading
          Congratulations, make sure if you start feeling weird about it, keep remembering it, or losing sleep over it to talk to someone about it. Those types of incidents, especially being your first, can be traumatizing.
          There's no substitute for strength,
          and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by azchopshopcop
            Congratulations, make sure if you start feeling weird about it, keep remembering it, or losing sleep over it to talk to someone about it. Those types of incidents, especially being your first, can be traumatizing.
            Nah... stuff like that doesn't get to me. I've been around death for too many years.

This was exhilarating, not traumatizing... but i can imagine for some, it may be.

Comment

LTF,
              Great job. Good to hear there are people like you that step up to the plate in adverse situations. God bless you and a job well done Sir. My respect to you!

Comment

Wow, nicely done. And on your last 8 hours?? Incredible!

Great job!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone

Yeah, it really IS a great feeling to have a direct hand in something like that. As i watched the paramedics working on him, i was amazed at how calm and calculated they worked. I can't imagine doing that everyday and NOT knowing the outcome.. ie: if they lived or not. But perhaps that is best..?

The lady and the young man that assisted in all this really deserve a pat on the back... they didn't even hesitate to help. We need more people like that in the world.

Yep.. my last 8 hours - my day is now over. Talk about mixed emotions. I've never had a better job than this one... I've never worked with a better group of people or made so many friends. I walked out sad, but on top of the world at the same time.

Comment

WOW and all that on your last day??? Great job...

i wonder though... i don't believe in god, i "assume" you do.. i wonder when you come up there for your final calling if this will grantee your space in heaven ...
                    if so then your one lucky guy...

Comment

I forgot to say before...If I decide to keel over, I'm gonna make sure you are around.
                      RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Originally posted by LovnTheFuzz
                        Thanks everyone

Yeah, it really IS a great feeling to have a direct hand in something like that. As i watched the paramedics working on him, i was amazed at how calm and calculated they worked. I can't imagine doing that everyday and NOT knowing the outcome.. ie: if they lived or not. But perhaps that is best..?
                        First off great job!!! If it weren't for you starting CPR right away, the guy probably would have died so credit yourself for that 100%!

We Paramedics are usually calm because we're used to it. We see that stuff often. Usually, unless someone starts CPR right away, the patient doesn't have a chance. The brain dies within 4-6 minutes without oxygen so think about the 10 minute response. I can tell you the number of cardiac arrest calls where the patient didn't survive. But, that's the reality of EMS, it's not what you see on tv.
                        Again, great job!!!
                        That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by MAD_MAX333
                          WOW and all that on your last day??? Great job...

i wonder though... i don't believe in god, i "assume" you do.. i wonder when you come up there for your final calling if this will grantee your space in heaven ...
                          if so then your one lucky guy...
                          Girl

Well.... i actually don't - And i'm STILL an GOOD person who does her best and tries to help others. I believe in people.. and i know it's corny - (and Beetle'ish) but 'I believe in me.'

Comment

Originally posted by Java King
                            First off great job!!! If it weren't for you starting CPR right away, the guy probably would have died so credit yourself for that 100%!

We Paramedics are usually calm because we're used to it. We see that stuff often. Usually, unless someone starts CPR right away, the patient doesn't have a chance. The brain dies within 4-6 minutes without oxygen so think about the 10 minute response. I can tell you the number of cardiac arrest calls where the patient didn't survive. But, that's the reality of EMS, it's not what you see on tv.
                            Again, great job!!!
                            Yeah.. that's what i was thinking about. I looked at my phone, and the 911 call was about 8 minutes. It seemed like 1/2 hour Oh, I'm absolutely sure he would have died had we not started CPR. None of us were CPR 'certified' though (and you'd think i'd be, my dad is - and taught classes) - so we winged it. I guess it was *just* enough.

You know what was extra scary?? The man would take this weird deep gulp of breath and then stop breathing again. The RN's told me those were what people do right before they die. He did it a couple times, each time we'd lose the pulse afterward.

Thanks for responding Java - and thankyou for what you do!

Comment

Hey FUZZ, you did one heck of a great thing there. Most people obviously by the amount of peeps 'standing around' would just yell and scream Go Get help. you are in the words of Sean Hannity 'A Great American' You helped a person, another human being stay on this earth a little while longer., Very strong thing you did.
                              I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6237 users online. 349 members and 5888 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X