300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs eating chicken bones

So, we were about to take out the trash, but got distracted by a phone call and so we set the garbage bag down. My nine-year-old Beagle smelled the lovely aroma of day-old KFC bones in the garbage. He ate two breasts and a wing. Now, I've heard all kinds of horror stories about dogs eating chicken bones but have since dispelled my worries by reading up on it on the Internet. So I was just wondering if anyone else had any advice or horror stories to get me worried again?

This dog is more loved than some family members so I'd be crushed to see him die from something this stupid.

We gave him a glob of petroleum jelly which is supposed to help soften his stool, and we're going to go to the store to see about getting some genuine stool softener. But that's about all we've explored as far as remedies go.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Originally posted by Puget Sound
    So, we were about to take out the trash, but got distracted by a phone call and so we set the garbage bag down. My nine-year-old Beagle smelled the lovely aroma of day-old KFC bones in the garbage. He ate two breasts and a wing. Now, I've heard all kinds of horror stories about dogs eating chicken bones but have since dispelled my worries by reading up on it on the Internet. So I was just wondering if anyone else had any advice or horror stories to get me worried again?

This dog is more loved than some family members so I'd be crushed to see him die from something this stupid.

We gave him a glob of petroleum jelly which is supposed to help soften his stool, and we're going to go to the store to see about getting some genuine stool softener. But that's about all we've explored as far as remedies go.
    Well sir, our family dog years ago ate a chicken leg bone and got choked on it. We finally got it unstuck after several seconds. Scared my parents to death. Like you said, this dog was well loved. Anyway, I think the main threat is that a chicken bone will splinter when the dog chews it. Don't know about the digestive part of it, our dog coughed most of it back up. I wish your pup the best.

Comment

Originally posted by safetyobc
      Well sir, our family dog years ago ate a chicken leg bone and got choked on it. We finally got it unstuck after several seconds. Scared my parents to death. Like you said, this dog was well loved. Anyway, I think the main threat is that a chicken bone will splinter when the dog chews it. Don't know about the digestive part of it, our dog coughed most of it back up. I wish your pup the best.
      Yeah, that's kind of what I read is that the biggest danger is WHILE they are in the process of eating/chewing it. And of course raw bones are far more dangerous than cooked bones. Luckily these were cooked by The Colonel.

I was scared to death at first as well, I thought for sure he was as good as dead. Now I'm more just worried about the pain he'll go through with constipation.

Comment

What did your dogs vet say....should be able to get some advice without a visit.As safety mentioned, once the chicken bone is in the digestive system, I am not sure of the dangers of the splinters...its just that chicken bones are so soft and splinter so easy ; the choking on a bone is the main fear.

Call the vet....

Comment

My dog eats them all the time with no problems. I figure they eat them in the wild and there ok. i could be totally wrong however But he has not had any trouble with them. he much bigger than a beagle though so who knows?
          Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
          Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

My dog also got in the garbage the day after we had chicken and ate a bunch. Nothing happened to her as far as the bones, but she was SICKER THAN A DOG for two days. Had to go outside like every 10 minutes with diarrhea LOL
            If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinUtah
              My dog also got in the garbage the day after we had chicken and ate a bunch. Nothing happened to her as far as the bones, but she was SICKER THAN A DOG for two days. Had to go outside like every 10 minutes with diarrhea LOL
              Yeah, definitely not looking forward to that.

The Vet said he'll probably be all right and did suggest a particular brand of stool softener, so we're off to fetch that.

Poor little guy.

Comment

You may want to watch for a while. The splintered chicken bones can perforate the intestines. That's was I was told was the main problem by my vet.

I do have to say though, that one of my pomeranians ate a fairly large turkey bone and was no worse for the wear. Who knows?
                Last edited by TXLady; 08-01-2005, 02:19 PM. Reason: Additional comment
                "Only imperfection is intolerant of imperfection"

Comment

Good luck with the pooch!

Some dogs are are able to chow down a whole chicken carcass, like my old Husky. My gay collie just ate some pork rib bones last week of the kitchen counter. He crapped non stop for about three days. The poor guy got depressed and stopped prancing.

Just keep watch and make sure you know where a 24 vet is if you end up needing one.

Comment

I have a Beagle that ate alot of chicken bones, too. The only thing it did to him, was give him a really bad case of diahrea (SP?). We had a mess in our bathroom and the room the dog sleeps in for 2 or 3 days! Gross!

Comment

Your dog is probably fine by now, but for future reference dogs can also take Malox! I know sounds odd, but it will actually coat the intestines and stomach so any splinters will have a smoother ride to the "other" end!
                      When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

My dog and I came to a compromise on this: she still got my BBQ chicken bones, but only by hand feeding, one at a time. I noticed how big the slivers were that she swallowed on her own, so I'd hold one at a time in a tight fist (it helps to wrap the end in a napkin for grip) and kinda feed it into her rear molars from the side like those old cartoons where the heroine was strapped to a log headed for the saw. That way, at least her teeth pulverized the bones into much smaller pieces and decreased (if not eliminated completely) any possible risk of internal tissue damage. Obviously, your dog has to be gentle with hand feeding and not prone to guarding food. We actually had a nice little ritual anytime I brought home a BBQ chicken, and by the time we were finished, the only thing left was the foil, which was also licked clean
                        No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

I hope your dog will be OK. Our vet had said no chicken bones or pork chop bones for the dogs. My dog has a real sensitive stomach anyway and doesnt even get much people-food, except for a nibble.

One time she grabbed a styrofoam container off the counter, with 2 quarters of a club sandwich in it. She opened the container and swallowed the sandwiches whole, including the toothpicks. I was hysterical... but nothing happened thank God. All i could think of was that pointy wood traveling thru her!!

Comment

Hey PS, I'm not a vet, but I've had a lot of dogs & most things seem to work pretty much the same way they do with kids The reassurance you've been given is absolutely right on. In almost all cases the chicken bones (or pins, thumbtacks, etc) will pass through without incident. Just keep an eye out for drooling, vomiting, fever, pain, lethargy and the like for the next week or so. These might indicate blockage and/or perforation & require an IMMEDIATE trip to your vet or an urgent care center. On the whole though, I'd say the prognosis is good.
                            Oh...by the way...for your peace of mind, you might want to inspect all of your doggie's BM's for a while Good luck!

Comment

My Akita/Border Collie mix LOVES to eat chocolate for some reason...Came home last year after my son's 1st bday and dog had gone thru the trash and ate half a chocolate cake we had thrown away. She was just chillen,wagging her tail not realizing her entire face was covered in icing.

Now she eats chocolate anytime she can get to it

Weird
                              Leave Space Empty

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5871 users online. 321 members and 5550 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X