Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandma sues Rockstar over Grand Theft Auto content

USA Today's story

This just kills me. According to the story a grandmother bought the game for her 14 year old grandson, and is now suing for unspecified damages ($$$+) for her and the rest of the human race because she says she was damaged by explicit sexual content later discovered to be on the game disc.

Now, a couple facts:
    - The game was already rated "M for Mature", meaning it was not to be played by people under 17.
    - The explicit content cannot be accessed by playing the game as it comes out of the box. One has to run a specific "hack" program that makes the content available.
    - The hack was developed and published by someone not employed by or affiliated with Rockstar Games, and did not have Rockstar's endorsement.

Now, my logical self is thinking at best this lady has no case because I can't see how Rockstar is on the hook for anything and at worst she could be charged with providing "M for Mature" material to minors.

Personally, I hope the case gets thrown out and her lawyer gets a big chunk of her change for nothing. Anybody else think this suit just another BS get-rich-quick scheme?

AvgJoe
    Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Originally posted by AverageJoe
    USA Today's story

This just kills me. According to the story a grandmother bought the game for her 14 year old grandson, and is now suing for unspecified damages ($$$+) for her and the rest of the human race because she says she was damaged by explicit sexual content later discovered to be on the game disc.

Now, a couple facts:
    - The game was already rated "M for Mature", meaning it was not to be played by people under 17.
    - The explicit content cannot be accessed by playing the game as it comes out of the box. One has to run a specific "hack" program that makes the content available.
    - The hack was developed and published by someone not employed by or affiliated with Rockstar Games, and did not have Rockstar's endorsement.

Now, my logical self is thinking at best this lady has no case because I can't see how Rockstar is on the hook for anything and at worst she could be charged with providing "M for Mature" material to minors.

Personally, I hope the case gets thrown out and her lawyer gets a big chunk of her change for nothing. Anybody else think this suit just another BS get-rich-quick scheme?

AvgJoe
    Hey, I should sue Playstation for making games that keep my husband too busy to spend time with me.....there is a good lawsuit.....

Comment

I bought the game when it first came out, and get to play it every now and then between work and other things. Yes there is mature things in the game that make me not play it when my daughter is around. I would not buy it for a child to play. It sounds to me like she didnt know what she was getting in to when she bought the game, garndson probably lied told her it was ok to play, so she bought it. I dont think her case would stand up in court, but I'm not a lawyer.
      "Evil will flourish if good men do nothing"- Edmund Burke

Comment

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....ticket_to_hell
        There's a great read on the whole GTA fiasco.

I want to shoot people in the face, bang prostitutes, traffic drugs, steal cars, and terrorize police officers without this filthy smut in my game.

Comment

I don't think she has a lawsuit. But that is what everyone said about the lady who got coffee all over her leg from a McDonald's cup. She got $$$ for being stupid.

Also, I am not for sure on this but I believe that M does stand for Mature, but the parents are the final call on that one. (On this case the grandmother.) Seriously though who at 14 years old didn't see or look at pictures and or movies. I know I did, but that was about 7 years ago back in the day.

Comment

It's ridiculous. Dumb people will sue anything. The game is rated mature, and it clearly says on the back of the CD case what you should expect.

If I bring an eight year-old to an R rated movie, can I sue the filmmaker for corrupting the child's mind??
            I preferred the pain to the remedy. - E B Sledge

Comment

Originally posted by carty
              http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....ticket_to_hell
              There's a great read on the whole GTA fiasco.
              I'm a big maddox fan. That guy is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
                Hey, I should sue Playstation for making games that keep my husband too busy to spend time with me.....there is a good lawsuit.....
                That's why my wife won't let me have one. I have to go over to my nephew's house to play X-Box with him & my brother-in-law. My sister-in-law jokes that she has to stand in front of us with beer & chicken wings to get our attention. Maybe you could try that.

Comment

A complete BS lawsuit, get rich, jerk *** lawyer seeing the $$$$$$. Read the label, hell, read reviews, if your so concerned over the video game content.
                  "I only had a couple!"

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                    That's why my wife won't let me have one. I have to go over to my nephew's house to play X-Box with him & my brother-in-law. My sister-in-law jokes that she has to stand in front of us with beer & chicken wings to get our attention. Maybe you could try that.
                    Beer and wings would get MY attention... oh hoooooneyyyyyyyy....
                    STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"

Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Tattoo'd Angel
                      Beer and wings would get MY attention... oh hoooooneyyyyyyyy....
                      My wife said once "I could run through here naked with my hair on fire and you guys wouldn't notice." I said, sure I'd stop long enough to throw some water on you.

Comment

My wife said once "I could run through here naked with my hair on fire and you guys wouldn't notice." I said, sure I'd stop long enough to throw some water on you.
                        Yeah, you don't want the smell of burned hair to get all over the house.
                        STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"

Why not?

Comment

Doesnt work......I hear,"Oh great, you messed me up..." If I have made dinner and he is playing, my daughter and I eat alone and he has to heat up his own food....rules of the house. I have told him that if he misses dinner with us, then he is on his own. He does not mind.....my daughter does tell him, "Stop daddy, play with me, not youse game." The guilt factor sets in, he lets her use the control to try and play golf or drive a car in Midnight Express....and stops. So she is the lucky charm.

He really does not play that much so I should not complain. But when he does and he is obsessed with a certain game or determined to finish a level on whatever it is that he is playing...he wont stop.

Some women have told me to just turn off the TV and deal with it. Why would I do that....I am not his mother, I am not a dictator, he works his butt off and he should be able to enjoy a hobby when he wants. I choose my battles with him carefully..no sense in having a major blow-out over one of his toys.

Comment

Oh thats great....sounds like something my husband would say.

Pretty funny.

Comment

Just another person trying to slough off parental responsibility. If she had been montitoring what her grandson does instead of letting the Playstation babysit him, then she wouldn't be where she is at.

Although it really has nothing to do with her parenting abilities (or does it?) I wonder where the child's mother & father are.
                              You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6324 users online. 339 members and 5985 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X