300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLOCK, SIG, or XD?

Who here carries, or prefers any of these: GLOCK 23, SIG P226 .40, or Springfield XD-40? I'm trying to decide what my next purchase will be. I've shot the P226, and the XD, but the only GLOCK I've got my hands on was a 10mm, it was great, but the heel is unbearably discomforting. I'm asking because I have applied with Sacramento County SO, and Chico PD, aswell as Oroville PD (because they all hire under 21), and I was wondering which you guys think is best all around. I know the XD is great, but I've heard the SIG isnt as reliable. Havn't heard much about the GLOCK. Any help would be appreciated.

For any "haters" because i'm under 21: I do have a father, and he can purchase pistols and I can use them. Just to clear up the whole "Why are you worried about it, you're not even 21" thing. I'm asking for ADVICE on GUNS, not my life. Thanks for the pleasant replies in advance.

I may be mistaken, but I do believe that while you may apply to Sac County SO at 18, you won't be appointed until 21. So you might be in the jail for a while. But I don't know for sure.

That being said, if you're going to buy your own gun, buy the Sig. Sac PD or Sac SO had a couple ND's and/or stovepipes a few years back with GLOCKs and decided to blame the weapon, or so I've heard. Nevertheless, both Sac PD and SO, and I believe all agencies in Sac County carry Sigs due to this. There are a lot of agencies in NorCal period that won't let you carry a GLOCK, not due to Sac PD's NDs with GLOCKS, but a lot of agencies require an external decocker, which of course, neither the GLOCK or XD has.

And noone carries an XD, likely for the same reasons they don't carry GLOCKS. If you're gonna carry a GLOCK clone, just get the real thing in the first place.

I have a GLOCK and I love the simplicity of it and the consistent trigger pull. I'd carry it in a heartbeat, but if I got picked up by an agency that didn't allow it, I wouldn't hesistate to carry a Sig. They're heavier than a GLOCK, and the first shot takes some effort, but they're well-balanced and feel good in my hand. I'm probably more accurate with the Sig, but if the proverbial poop hit the fan, and I had to draw and fire quickly, I'd probably rather go with the GLOCK.

Don't ask which one is better, because you'll never get a consensus on it. GLOCK haters and GLOCK lovers will be arguing for 3 pages of this thread. And then the 1911 guys come in.

If you're gonna shell out $600+ for a gun and plan on using in on duty in the Sacramento area, buy a Sig, it's that simple.
    *Not a cop*

Comment

Oh, and it's a good thing that you didn't post this in the "Ask A Cop" section, because obviously only someone with a badge could answer any of the questions on here.
      *Not a cop*

Comment

I've heard about the Sac PD mishaps with GLOCKs, from what i've heard, it had something to do with the trigger having to be pulled to clean it, and someone didnt know that dropping the mag DOESN'T unload the gun. Anyway, I really like the feeling of an XD, and I like the feeling of a SIG, but I love the way the GLOCK and XD looks. So an XD is kinda like the best of both worlds, its got a better grip, looks like a GLOCK, and apparently is surprisingly accurate. When I shot the XD I was really surprised. I had 10 rounds, and every single one of them hit what I was aiming at (I shot 6,7,8,9,center,center,9,8,7,6) Top to center, then back to top, and every single slug hit a portion of a number with the exception of the two center shots. I actually asked a CDC officer who was qual'ing what kind of pistol it was and he replied with "XD-you wanna squeeze off a few?" who would refuse? At that particular moment I had no clue what an XD looked like, I had heard alot about them from police, my cousin (S.A. S.W.A.T. officer), my uncle (my cousins dad, U.S. Customs agent). Anyway, I have to cut this short, but I'll post again when I can. I'm also talking about personal carry, not duty. Gotta go, Thanks. Adios.

Comment

I have had a XD subcompact in 9mm for ccw use for 1yr and love it. The restrictions my former dept. had prohibited use of the XD, but once I retired, I went looking for a small semi. I shot three sub compact Glocks at the range (9, 40 and 45). I didn't like the feel of the grip, I limpwristed, causing the slide not to lock open, plastic sights and mags and no ambi mag release (lefty).

Someone told me of the XD. Fit is great, ambi mag release, SS mags, steel sights and shoots very accurately. Also, never limpwristed and I shoot the same way. I love the gun. I'm not a Glock hater and I actually intended to buy one, but with the XD pluses and $100 less, no way.

I don't recall which dept. (s) are using them, but there are some back in the south or east. One of my fellow forum members on www.hs2000talk.com mentioned it a while back.

Comment

Go ahead and get all three. Just when I think I'm done buying for a while, I see another gun I just got to have.
            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

If you pay 600 dollars for a glock I am going to laugh....
              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51
                If you pay 600 dollars for a glock I am going to laugh....
                With all the fees in CA, he'll be lucky if he gets out the door with a new GLOCK 22 for $600.
                *Not a cop*

Comment

Originally posted by lsmalibu
                  With all the fees in CA, he'll be lucky if he gets out the door with a new GLOCK 22 for $600.
                  are you serious?!??!? I can walk out the door with a NEW glock for 440...and thast with 3 high cap mags.
                  Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

GLOCK will run $520 OTD, XD will run $430 OTD, and the SIG will run about $930 OTD. SIGs at my 3 local shops are all $800+

I agree about not being able to stop buying haha...I got my .300 Winchester and .357 Magnum and thought I was gonna stop, but then I saw the Fabrique Nationale Herstal (FN) Tactical package for $2280 and I find I'm going to be grabbing that soon. Along with a Les Baer 1911, a Browning Hi-Power, and one of the three afore mentioned. My eventual goal: To own a small armory in Nevada. I'm in the process of getting my business license and finding a shop so I can have EVERYTHING set for the day I turn 21 to have my FFL and a full fledged specialty, and custom gun shop (like Robar) here in Folsom. I doubt the city itself would allow it, but I'm sure I'll find a spot somewhere. I hope to someday not only deal, but MAKE quality firearms. I have the resources, and alot of funding...I just need the age, and the knowledge. Almost to the age part, but the knowledge is gonna kill me. Anyone know where I can get some gunsmith training?

Comment

Buy none until 21 and you can do it yourself. Having father buy a gun and give it to somebody underage violates federal firearms laws and both can be charged and do some federal time.
                      A mother here bought her son a handgun for his 19th birthday and he waved it at somebody and they traced the purchase and ATF filed charges now mom is federal felon and never ever even had a speeding ticket prior.
                      Last edited by Bodie; 07-25-2005, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Rbadgett thanks for posting those prices. They are pretty much the same in S. Ca. Mine came with night sights because that is the only way LAPD orders them, which is a $75 extra. Mine came out to $489 out the door and a Glock was $519 before taxes and with the plastic sights.

I actually was willing to buy a Glock until all of the things I mentioned came to bear. Then, the XD won hands down for me.

Comment

The good news is you can have your father buy you the handguns and then will them to you and then you can have him killed. [Disclaimer: Just a joke!]

I'd wait til your old enough. But when you do go with Sig, they are the Caddilliac of handguns. Hell, start saving now and by the time your 21 maybe you can afford it.
                          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

It's just money, are ya'll so tight that you worry about a couple a hundred dollars difference.
                            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

but I've heard the SIG isnt as reliable.
                              Sorry but you've heard wrong. I have a G23 and a 9mm P226, and I much prefer the latter. In fact, in my extremely humble opinion the 226 is the finest combat/defensive handgun yet made. My current carry pistol is a 9mm SIG Pro, and the recently acquired 226 is my fourth SIG and not one has given me a problem.

Now don't get me wrong, I really love my G23 as well. But I rarely carry or shoot it......not because anything is wrong with it, but because I prefer the SIGs. The G23 is much trimmer then either SIG, shoots a bigger round, yet gives up just 2 rounds of total capacity and NONE with a G22 mag or plus 2 set up. It has a great consistent trigger and points well for me, but I still prefer my SIGs.
                              Refuse to be a victim-Support Concealed Carry

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3130 users online. 181 members and 2949 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X