300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEXAS Officers...

Not sure where to post this so it will go here and in Job Search...

Anyway, looking for advice on QUALITY communities in and around the Austin area. I hit 20 years next July and I'm thinking about pulling up stakes and moving out of So Cal to Texas.

I have relatives that live in the sticks (Yoakum...35 miles from Victoria) and a few in Austin. My wife can't handle the boonies and she will need a "Metro" area to find work anyway...Human Resources Mgmt.

I've been researching the New Braunfels, Dripping Springs and Round Rock areas. Our #1 priority is QUALITY OF LIFE....good schools, low crime, etc... I think New Braunfels may be a stretch for my wife's employment chances.

How bad is the traffic from Round Rock down into Austin. I hate that I-35 rush hour traffic. It's as bad or worse than So Cal's freeways.
    "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Originally posted by Blue Leader
    Not sure where to post this so it will go here and in Job Search...

Anyway, looking for advice on QUALITY communities in and around the Austin area. I hit 20 years next July and I'm thinking about pulling up stakes and moving out of So Cal to Texas.

I have relatives that live in the sticks (Yoakum...35 miles from Victoria) and a few in Austin. My wife can't handle the boonies and she will need a "Metro" area to find work anyway...Human Resources Mgmt.

I've been researching the New Braunfels, Dripping Springs and Round Rock areas. Our #1 priority is QUALITY OF LIFE....good schools, low crime, etc... I think New Braunfels may be a stretch for my wife's employment chances.

How bad is the traffic from Round Rock down into Austin. I hate that I-35 rush hour traffic. It's as bad or worse than So Cal's freeways.
    New Braunfels is basically the boonies and not much in the job area over there. People I know there commute to work in Austin. Aside from Round Rock, NW Austin is not bad.....close to the lake, Cedar Park, Leander...not too boonieish over there and access to 620, 183 and 2222 is good. Lots of construction going on right now EVERYWHERE, but it will look good eventually. No matter what they do, there will always be traffic. Too many people here. A a glance, Cedar Park and Leander may look like a "stick" area, but there are some nice homes out there with a range of prices.

Round Rock is a nice community and I-35 from there is not as bad as I-35 closer to the University. People arent as crazy here as they are in Houston....crazy, but not as. They are doing construction that way also. Round Rock is not far from shopping, schools, etc..but far enough away from 6th street where you will find the stuff you dont want to be around.

There is plenty of stuff in Round Rock...hospitals, schools... the Dell Diamond if you are a baseball fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
      New Braunfels is basically the boonies and not much in the job area over there. People I know there commute to work in Austin. Aside from Round Rock, NW Austin is not bad.....close to the lake, Cedar Park, Leander...not too boonieish over there and access to 620, 183 and 2222 is good. Lots of construction going on right now EVERYWHERE, but it will look good eventually. No matter what they do, there will always be traffic. Too many people here. A a glance, Cedar Park and Leander may look like a "stick" area, but there are some nice homes out there with a range of prices.

Round Rock is a nice community and I-35 from there is not as bad as I-35 closer to the University. People arent as crazy here as they are in Houston....crazy, but not as. They are doing construction that way also. Round Rock is not far from shopping, schools, etc..but far enough away from 6th street where you will find the stuff you dont want to be around.

There is plenty of stuff in Round Rock...hospitals, schools... the Dell Diamond if you are a baseball fan.
      Thanks for the quick reply. I'm definitely NOT thinking about police work for me at this point. I don't think I could wear a vest in that heat. It kills me here in So Cal when it hits the high 70's!!

It's all about the kids for me. That's thh main reason we're moving anyway; to get away from our school district. The lowere levels are fine but the high school is full of dirtbags.
      "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Check http://www.greatschools.net/ as schools vary in quality by wide margins in TX though better than our SoCal schools by a large margin in general.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6307 users online. 333 members and 5974 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X