300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Firewall

I just found out that my McAfee firewall subscription expired. It costs a bunch to renew, so does Norton, its like 79 bucks for the 2005 suite version. I have the Windows XP, service Pack 2 with the new firewall in it. Does any one know if its as good or should I just spring for the whole new Norton thingamajigger?
    Thanks Eman
    I got nothing for now

Originally posted by e-man
    I just found out that my McAfee firewall subscription expired. It costs a bunch to renew, so does Norton, its like 79 bucks for the 2005 suite version. I have the Windows XP, service Pack 2 with the new firewall in it. Does any one know if its as good or should I just spring for the whole new Norton thingamajigger?
    Thanks Eman

I have had my puter for 3 years now and have never had to rebuy Norton.....don't know why but it has always worked for me
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Try Zone Alarm. The basic version is free and you can download it from the net. I've been using it for about a year with no problems at all.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Zone alarm, Ive heard about it, Thanks for the advice. Everytime I go to McAfee site to renew it tells me to use my Comcast.net adress. DUH I dont have Comcast anymore so thats why I cant log on. Ill try that zome alarm.
        I got nothing for now

Comment

I second the Zone Alarm nod. Been using it for years, no problems.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
          and I'm not sure about the former.
          -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

I third the ZoneAlarm..

Don't buy into that Mcfae/Norton crap. I have also heard rumors about them spreading/supporting new viruses to stir up more business. It wouldn't suprise me.

Anyways, the Window XP SP2 firewall is just as good if you are behind a router configuration that gives you a local IP address. However, if you are directly connected to your cable modem (presuming of course that you have hi-speed internet) then you should by all means have ZoneAlarm or another advanced firewall.

If you have dialup internet then don't worry about ZomeAlarm unless of course you are one of the paranoid types.

If you want explanations PM me and I would be more then happy to give you a computer science lecture.

Mike
            Last edited by mrkoje; 07-21-2005, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Yea Zone Alarm is alot better.

You will get a warning if you are running WinXP SP2 saying that it isnt compatible. I just ignore it and hit 'Continue' anyway and never have any problems.

As a Professional in the IT field, I can honestly say I never, ever trust XP's firewall. Doesnt work.

For instance, I run a program that accesses the internet for the first time. When the program starts up I see it accessing the internet information it needs (like checking for an update). During this time, and towards the end of the connection, XP will pop up a message asking if you want to 'Unblock' this application.

Unblock? Its not blocked its already on the internet gettings its information, whats to block?

If that had been a trojan virus..my computer would of been breached.

So I never trust XP's Firewall.
              Zone Alarm however, I trust my very important system to.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2972 users online. 164 members and 2808 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X