300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally

I finally have official word as to when I leave. I will be enlisted by proxy at my current base on 15 Aug 2005 into the AK Air National Guard. I will be driving up, so if anyone has some driving tips for me, especially for the ALCAN, I would appreciate it. This will be my first major road trip. Also, I passed all my pre-tests yesterday for my upgrade training, scoring more then the 90% average for going on to the final test to be awarded my next skill level. I will take that test on Thursday so wish me luck or what ever.
    RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

hey man good luck..if you happen to drive through MN during your trip send me a pm we'll hook up for dinner>
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51
      hey man good luck..if you happen to drive through MN during your trip send me a pm we'll hook up for dinner>
      Ok it is a good possibility that that could happen. I will begin planning my route tomorrow. My base chaplain and support group commander were talking to me, told me to get AAA and have them plan the trip. Does anyone have experience with this?

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

It's easy...get AAA membership info and go to a local office. Many cities have them in shopping centers, etc. Give them the start and stop locations, types of hotels/restuarants you like. They will print out a flip book for you with an overview page, and a few smaller more detailed pages with directions and everything else you asked for on it. It is rather like the Mapquest for the elite! I have had one done in the past for a FL tp WI trip. Safe travels
        " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

I'm happy for you. I know you have wanted this for a long time. I don't have any worries about you at all...I know you'll do fine.
          "Only imperfection is intolerant of imperfection"

Comment

yeah AAA is the way to go!!! you can even have them plan little side trips on your trip up...cool stuff they give you a map and high light the areas you need to travel through and places to aviod plus if you break down they have free towing for 100 miles.
            Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Ok thank you all. I will be getting the AAA tomorrow hopefully then. I'll let ya know squad what route I end up taking.

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Originally posted by usafcop64528
                Ok thank you all. I will be getting the AAA tomorrow hopefully then. I'll let ya know squad what route I end up taking.
                AAA is great. I use them in combination with Microsofts Streets, which does mostly the same thing, but doesn't get you the discounted rates at hotels. If you have a laptop, you can get the GPS version of Streets which I think will be cool for my trip to Arizona/New Mex. in October. The Streets program can be tailored to your own personal taste as well as give you an ETA if you give it an estimated Average speed and tell you how much you will spend in fuel costs if you give it an average per gallon cost.

Don't forget that many Hotels also have a Government rate program, which sometimes beats the AAA discount by quite a bit.

Tip on traveling alone by car: Since I don't know how an XM Radio will fare on the Al-Can, my suggestion is "Books on tape". They always help me to pay attention to my driving. Music becomes mind candy after short while and, like candy, after the sugar rush, lulls me into a daze. Go to your nearest Cracker Barrel, where they have a multitude of books on tape and cd. They have a program that allows you to buy one, then trade it in as you drive to the next Cracker Barrel. If you trade it in within...I think a week, you will only have to pay $2 towards the next book. If you have a mp3 player and the time, rip the cd book into your computer as a wma, then output it into your mp3 player. I was able to fit a dozen or so Tom Clancy and Patricia Cornwall books onto 1 mp3 cd, then play them into the car using either the cassette deck or an FM transmitter that plugs into the audio out of your mp3 player. If the book is a multidisc one, make sure that you record them onto your mp3 in the correct order. I have also downloaded a few Twilight Zone radio shows and Ray Bradberry's, along with some Jeff Foxworthy and the Blue Collar tour album's.

Also helpful: Sunflower seeds of various flavors. I drink 1 large Diet Mt. Dew, then keep the bottle to deposit the seeds into. If you get a little experience, you can take a cheek full of seeds, dehull them with your teeth and tongue, and store the empty seeds in the opposite cheek until your stash is completed, then empty into the soda bottle. Then reload. 2 checkout counter bags of sunflower seeds will pretty much get you across the country and back. If you are an inexperienced seeder you could make do with one. Always have a bottle of water handy for the time or two a stray hull goes the wrong direction when you splinter it.

So there you have it, "The Creeker's Guide to Solo Interstate Travel".

Hope it helps you out
                Last edited by Creeker; 07-19-2005, 01:18 AM.
                Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                --------------------------------------------------
                Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Good suggestions, Creeker! I find that listening to talk radio often helps keep me alert on the road, even more so than music.

I like the seed suggestion, too. I used to chew tobacco while driving. After I quit that, the first time I was on a road trip, I found I missed having something in my cheek. The seeds fill that void quite well.
                  Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                    Good suggestions, Creeker! I find that listening to talk radio often helps keep me alert on the road, even more so than music.
                    Just pick a very liberal host and you will be too mad to fall asleep.
                    Well it's ABOUT time. You have been telling me this for some time now. Let me know when you get into town and we'll meet up again.

TGY
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Creeker-I agree on music getting old after awhile, but I don't think I'd ever have thought of books on tape. Thanks alot. I know what I'll be listening to. And sunflower seeds, yup, I'm familiar with them so I will probably do that.

HeyCJ-Thanks

ThatGuy-I will let you know when I am up there. I think I will have a few days of extra travel time so I may swing by Anchorage before proceeding to Clear. I know it has been awhile that I have been talking about this. I have been getting my chain jerked for awhile, but yesterday they confirmed my departure date.

For everyone who is interested, check out the website for Clear, AFS, "The best remote post in the Air Force." www.clear.af.mil

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Congratulations, usaf. I know that you'll do well out there.
                        All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion and desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup
                          Congratulations, usaf. I know that you'll do well out there.
                          Thanks. I'm sure I will. I hope...

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

My advice is don't drive the ALCAN, drive the Cassiar. It will save you about 400 kilometers.

Buy a copy of the Milepost; it takes you literally mile by mile through the entire trip. I tells you where every gas station, hot springs, and narrow bridge is the entire way. Gas up at every gas station once you hit the sticks; you don't know when you'll be able to gas up again. The next station (300K away) might be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                              My advice is don't drive the ALCAN, drive the Cassiar. It will save you about 400 kilometers.

Buy a copy of the Milepost; it takes you literally mile by mile through the entire trip. I tells you where every gas station, hot springs, and narrow bridge is the entire way. Gas up at every gas station once you hit the sticks; you don't know when you'll be able to gas up again. The next station (300K away) might be closed.
                              Ok thanks alot. My brother suggested the milepost as well. He has the current one and is going to lone it to me for the trip. Thanks for the info on fueling as well. I want to throw a couple five gallon gas tanks in the back of my truck, but I am not sure about if I can bring them full into Canada, or what. Does any one know?

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4411 users online. 248 members and 4163 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X