X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squad51
    replied
    Originally posted by Isla_
    I don't usually watch war movies ( I love action movies though) but I watched Black Hawk Down serveral times in a row......bawling by the end of the first watching too I am not ashamed to say. I will have to look for "In the Company of Heroes".
    That is not a good book to read in MN as we have the highest population of Somalis outside of somalia in the TC area.......That book is REALLY good and REALLY REALLY ****es you off

Leave a comment:

• squad51
    replied
    Originally posted by wayno1806
    How about an article. "Sheep, Sheepdog, and Wolves" by LTC Grossman. Must read article if you are interested in law enforcement.

If you want a copy e.mail me at [email protected]
    www.****************************
    That sir is a great article!

Leave a comment:

• squad51
    replied
    Originally posted by BaseballBabe
    You read those too.

I once (only once) sent in a letter (story) there. Amazingly enough it got published.
    really?!?!? no way

Leave a comment:

• BaseballBabe
    replied
    Originally posted by BrickCop
    Does Penthouse Letters magazine count?

You read those too.

I once (only once) sent in a letter (story) there. Amazingly enough it got published.

Leave a comment:

• RyderXS
    replied
    To Kill A Cop

I don't usually read books unless required by school, but I decided to read this one, and it's actually pretty good. Relax though--it's just a story, not an instruction booklet.

Leave a comment:

• Welpe
    replied
    Originally posted by Isla_
    I just started reading "The Screwtape Letters". It is a little slow going though because I have gotten lazy in my reading. I need to remember that Lewis is from a different time and had a different style than Dr. Suess (sp?)
    I will let you know how I like it though
    It takes some getting used to. I admit I didn't have much difficulty adapting because I've spent the past couple of months taking a British literature class, so a lot of the vernacular and style was familiar to me. I think the real usefulness of the book is pointing out some often overlooked but important spiritual issues. The biting satire is enjoyable, too.

Leave a comment:

• Isla_
    replied
    "There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it, the other, that you can boast about it." Bertrand Russell

guilty on both counts!!! lol

Leave a comment:

• Isla_
    replied
    Welpe......

I just started reading "The Screwtape Letters". It is a little slow going though because I have gotten lazy in my reading. I need to remember that Lewis is from a different time and had a different style than Dr. Suess (sp?)
    I will let you know how I like it though

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    Originally posted by dptyrob
    The book had a tremendous impact on me as well. I had He just recently married (beautiful girl, too). He's been eligible for parole for 10 years but hasn't applied because he'd have to admit guilt. He may be applying for parole now though.

WOW, marrying a wife killer. Hmmm....well, someone married Ted Bundy before her bit the plug and Richard Ramirez is even married.

Isnt there a book about women who marry these freaks? Not sure if its a Sociology book or what. I would be interested in reading something like that.
    What kind of father figure did these women have?

Leave a comment:

• Mraughh
    replied
    Originally posted by Rattel
    Does anybody else enjoy Terry Pratchets Discworld Novels
    I'm a rabid Pratchet fan. I wish he would either make the damn books longer or write faster. I've read going postal about 14 times now. If you havent read his "Maurice and his amazing rodents" and "wee free men" read them. Even though they are children's stories.

Leave a comment:

• MizzMaddie
    replied
    Originally posted by Welpe
    Why is Harry Potter so popular? I just don't see what's so appealing about it, granted I'm not much into fantasy either.
    I guess it's because the story is well told and kids can identify with the heros and adults find interest in the adult characters. However, mainly parents are caught by the Harry Potter virus, as it seems.

Originally posted by gentlejim504
    The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown are excellent.
    then Dan Brown's Deception Point is a must read!

Leave a comment:

• gentlejim504
    replied
    The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown are excellent. I recently finished the Bourne series by Robert Ludlum. For westerns I've read most of LAmour's books. The Sackett and Hopalong Cassidy's series are good. For techno-thriller I like Clancy, Dale Brown for the Air Force side of things and Ian Slater's WWIII series. You can't go wrong reading anything by Frederick Forsythe. I've read one of the Spencer novels by Robert Parker and look forward to reading the rest. Other than that, I don't read too much.

Leave a comment:

• dptyrob
    replied
    Originally posted by Styx
    I read that book and it drove me absolutely nuts...I Good Willed it because I wanted it out of my house. He is such a lying, self centered bastard...even after all these years. He still claims hippies did it. There were actual times I just had to put the book away and do something else. I almost did not finish it. If I am watching anything on TV and he being interviewed or reference is made to the case and old footage is shown, I change the channel. I cant stand the man.

Dont think I am a freak or anything, I just really enjoy reading and take it a bit too seriously. I tend to be sensitive about stuff like that; try to figure out why anybody would do such a horrid thing to anybody much less a wife and 2 babies. Give me my fiction spooky stuff over the real thing.

We have another book written by the author of that book and I have wanted to read it, but am not sure if it will have the same effect on me. Different story, but similar scenario. Husband killing wife thing.....maybe I will pass on that.

I plan to read Paul Reiser's Couplehood next...after I finish my Cornwell book.

Need a good laugh every now and then.

The book had a tremendous impact on me as well. I had bad dreams about it while reading it. But I am infatuated with the case. There are at least 2 other books about it. I would like to read them both, but I hate the thought of any money I spend on one of them ("Fatal Justice" which is one written to show how badly he is railroaded) going to aid him in any way. I believe there has been some further theory regarding one of the children wasn't/couldn't have been his because of the blood type. I've been by the apartment, which has been rennovated and people live in it now. My old man went in it while it was still closed off years ago when attending some training down at the justice academy in Salemberg. I also had the good fortune of getting to hear one of the original investigators (I forget which one) speak about the case during a college class years ago. There's just no way that bastard didn't do it.

He just recently married (beautiful girl, too). He's been eligible for parole for 10 years but hasn't applied because he'd have to admit guilt. He may be applying for parole now though.
    Last edited by dptyrob; 07-23-2005, 12:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    Originally posted by dptyrob
    Recently I finished reading "Fatal Vision," the true story of Captain Jeffrey MacDonald. He was a doctor in the Green Berets that murdered his pregnant wife and 2 little girls and blamed it on a group of hippies. Not much in the way of action in the story, but it is very interesting reading; looking at how he behaved after the murders and all of the lies he told.
    I read that book and it drove me absolutely nuts...I Good Willed it because I wanted it out of my house. He is such a lying, self centered bastard...even after all these years. He still claims hippies did it. There were actual times I just had to put the book away and do something else. I almost did not finish it. If I am watching anything on TV and he being interviewed or reference is made to the case and old footage is shown, I change the channel. I cant stand the man.

Dont think I am a freak or anything, I just really enjoy reading and take it a bit too seriously. I tend to be sensitive about stuff like that; try to figure out why anybody would do such a horrid thing to anybody much less a wife and 2 babies. Give me my fiction spooky stuff over the real thing.

We have another book written by the author of that book and I have wanted to read it, but am not sure if it will have the same effect on me. Different story, but similar scenario. Husband killing wife thing.....maybe I will pass on that.

I plan to read Paul Reiser's Couplehood next...after I finish my Cornwell book.

Need a good laugh every now and then.

Leave a comment:

• dptyrob
    replied
    Originally posted by JediNord
    HP reminds me a lot of the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander which i loved. And of course The Once and Future King/Book of Merlyn, as well as the whole Hobbit/Lord of the Rings mythos.

I absolutely loved those books. I owned the whole set of the Chronicles of Prydain. I've lost them over the years, but intend to track down another set sometime and buy them.

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series was pretty darned good. The sixth book was a bit slow, and I'm glad I didn't get hooked on them until they were nearly finished because he started the first one about 30 years ago. The few months that I had to wait in between the release of the last 3 books or so really sucked. I've read a lot of his other books and like most of them. I wouldn't even bother with "From a Buick 8" or another one (I forget the name; the title was something about a color, some shade of red) about some woman getting sucked into a painting she bought.

Recently I finished reading "Fatal Vision," the true story of Captain Jeffrey MacDonald. He was a doctor in the Green Berets that murdered his pregnant wife and 2 little girls and blamed it on a group of hippies. Not much in the way of action in the story, but it is very interesting reading; looking at how he behaved after the murders and all of the lies he told.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4683 users online. 314 members and 4369 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X