Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azchopshopcop
    In the company of Heroes.

This is the book written about Michael Durant who was the helicopter pilot who was shot down in Mogodishu. This is the conflict/incident that inspired the film "Black Hawk Down."

I read this book in one sitting, it was awesome.

In a area that has the largets Somali population outside that country....really opens your eyes.....good book.
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
      I need a suggestion for a book to read. I am in my Patricia Cornwell stage and love the books, but need a little laughter. Any suggestions?
      I dont like romance novels unless they are old classics like Wuthering Heights...thats too deep for me at the moment.
      A book about raising children that is humorous would be great. I loved Babyhood by Paul Riser even before I had a child; naturally it was funnier after I had a child.
      Anything like that out there?
      If it is humour you are looking for, try any of the Carl Hiaasen books...Sick Puppy was good, so was Basket Case. You may be able to find them marked down, too.
      Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
      --------------------------------------------------
      Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
      Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by squad51
        In a area that has the largets Somali population outside that country....really opens your eyes.....good book.
        It took me a few days but Blackhawk Down really opened my eyes about why we didn't have much armour over there... a miracle and a testiment to technology that we didn't lose more, and I am sure lessons that were learned were put to some good use where we are now.
        Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
        Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
        Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
          Tell me more
          Jean Shepherd is the guy whose short stories were used to create the movie "A Christmas Story". The 2 books I've read are "In God We Trust;All Others Pay Cash" and "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories". Some of the passages are downright laugh-out-loud funny. Enjoy!

Comment

"Running With Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs
            "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs
            "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" by David Sedaris

Of those three, my favorite was "Dry." I read it in one sitting, took me something like seven hours. It's an autobiography about the author's struggle with alcoholism, but is hilarious if you enjoy dark humor and also a serious tear jerker at points.

"Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" is another great autobiography about the author's childhood.

"Running With Scissors" is a prequel to "Dry" and covers the author's childhood. Also full of dark humor.
            Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
            Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Anything Jack London is good.
              RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.....I will search on Amazon.com and a list of other books of the type will be in there.......

I plan on finishing up the book I am reading now(Last Precinct).....read something funny and then get back to the forensic face peeling, searching for DNA in light fixtures kind of books.

Comment

I am well into the Sherlock Holmes mysteries now and am amazed at how good they are!! Doyle really knew how to write! I mean I know they are classics and all, but i have ready many "classics" that were as dry as could be.

And did you know Sherlock was a coke-head?!?!

But I am loving reading them...

Comment

Does anybody else enjoy Terry Pratchets Discworld Novels
                    If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

Recently finished the book "Blink", by Malcolm Gladwell. It discusses our process of thinking without thinking.

Have you known people who can come to the correct conclusion with minimal information?

Have you known people who study and gather all the information they possibly can, stew about it forever and still come to the wrong conclusion?

Gladwell explores how this occurs. Very interesting concepts.

Am about halfway through Harry Potter. Much darker than previous books.

Comment

Why is Harry Potter so popular? I just don't see what's so appealing about it, granted I'm not much into fantasy either.

Also, I started reading "Under and Alone" last night. I am absolutely hooked!
                        Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup
                          Lol, here's a link that can describe it more comprehensively than I could. It's a great read...definitely worth buying. Enjoy!

http://mostlyfiction.com/contemp/haddon.htm

I just spent the last 10 minutes reading the review and excerpt from that book, and now I am even MORE curious lol I think I will have to read that one .
                          stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                            Why is Harry Potter so popular? I just don't see what's so appealing about it, granted I'm not much into fantasy either.
                            For me it reminds me so much of why I loved reading as a kid. Good vs. Evil, magic and mystery. And of course you have the "unlikely hero" that could be any one of us. HP reminds me a lot of the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander which i loved. And of course The Once and Future King/Book of Merlyn, as well as the whole Hobbit/Lord of the Rings mythos.

But, if you are not much into fantasy, than I can see why it would not appeal...

Comment

Does Penthouse Letters magazine count?
                              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                                Does Penthouse Letters magazine count?
                                Well, reading about amputees involved in Orgies is not what I call any form of literature, but its reading so ...I guess so.

Do they pay people to send those things in? I have a fabulous imagination and could use a little extra money. I will have to use a psuedonym (is that what fake names are called)

How about Cherry Lake?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3860 users online. 259 members and 3601 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X